fixin' the orange 'n black

NDwas

Some really nice ideas, dorf. And I like the pissed-off bird logo. It's almost too funny to be a professional logo.

But 7 jerseys? 3 caps? 4 alternate jerseys? That's overkill. Alternates are supposed to be just that; an alternative to the primary jersey. Now you've got alternatives to alternatives. The mix & match idea hit its low point with the Pirates in the late '70s and the A's in the '80s, and I think they only had 5 uniforms each.

If it were my choice, I'd stick with just the orange alts. Everyone and their mother seems to have black alts these days. Orange would make the O's stand out from the crowd.

As for "Baltimore" on the jerseys... I love it, and it's what belongs on the road unis, but as long as Peter Angelos is the owner, and as long as he deludes himself into thinking that Washington, DC is still his domain and his property, it'll never happen. That doesn't mean I don't like your idea, or that you did it very well.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I've always thought the Orioles were a team that lended itself to limitless uniform options. I like what you've done but also say 7 jerseys is a bit much.

I'd trim it back to four: the basic home & road, the sleeveless and the black road alt ... and yes, they could wear the black 'road' alt for home games. Angelos is so intent on capturing fans in the entire region that he's losing fans in his own home city.

I know some Orioles fans who feel that Angelos' omittance of 'Baltimore' from the team's identity is a huge slap in their face.

I'd keep cap usage the way they have it now -- orange bill at home, all black on the road.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Angelos is so intent on capturing fans in the entire region that he's losing fans in his own home city.

I know some Orioles fans who feel that Angelos' omittance of 'Baltimore' from the team's identity is a huge slap in their face.

Interesting point, I never even thought of that.

And I am a big fan of putting the city name on the road. The "Baltimore" script looks great anyway - why not use it? Sooner or later, Angelos is going to have to accept the fact that DC has taken to the Nats, and he can more than make do with his own market. Hell, I try and get doen to Camden Yards once a summer for a change of pace, and I live 10 minutes from Philadelphia, so it's not like the O's won't draw with a team 35 miles away.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Your bird looks mucho ticked at someone- Angelos maybe? I agree, he's just a little too agressive. As for the uniforms. The orange set could be made into bp uniforms. And the idea of home white, home sleeveless alternate, road grey, and road black alternate seems like the best bet.

Your work is clean and sticks with a lot of Orioles tradition. I kind of miss the O's here in Rochester. Thank you, Peter Angelos for breaking up a 43-year old marriage. :cry:

i'm not gonna end this topic right here, but here are a few notes...

- i made the seven jerseys not as a suggestion to use ALL of them, but to provide a whole bunch of options

- the three caps, VitaminD (not to specifically target you), are really nothing new - its actually what they use now (home, road, and the ugliest hat on earth - the alt)

- as for the "mean" cartoon bird, what i really wanted to do was to keep their current bird and make it a bit more aggressive - so this was a good alternative

- lastly, SCREW ANGELOS

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

Well, I'd vote for the home (NOT the sleeveless), the road, and both home alts. I don't think you need home and road alts that look the exact same except for the home saying "Orioles" and the road saying "Baltimore." (Got that, Astros?)

The one change I'd make is to make the script and the name on the back in black, and the numbers (front and back) in orange outlined by black home and road, and then some appropriate variation of that on the alts. And ditch the orange hat.

Packers-2.png

the logo looks too minor league to me. i would keep one orange alt as the bp uni, and ditch the other one. i also dont think the o's need a sleeveless jersey so i would get rid of that as well. and the second black alt is not needed, i would keep one and put a sleeve patch on it. good work overall

I'm not sure if I like the arched letters on here. But everyone who uses Illustrator does it anyway. Just use radial letters. Also, too many uniforms, and the angry bird is ridiculous.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, too many uniforms, and the angry bird is ridiculous.

(sigh) :down:

- i made the seven jerseys not as a suggestion to use ALL of them, but to provide a whole bunch of options
- as for the "mean" cartoon bird, what i really wanted to do was to keep their current bird and make it a bit more aggressive - so this was a good alternative

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

I know how you feel, everyone kept saying that my home alt jersey concepts for each team would take away the meaning of "alternate" jerseys if each team had one. and i kept sayin they wouldnt use all of em but just each team have an option and then they kept sayin the same thing. sorry though, off topic. i really like this concept and how you got more white into theyre uniforms and i also wouldnt even mind them having an orange and black alt for home and away. i also like the baltimore on the roads. i really dont like when teams dont have city/state on the roads and all teams should. good job.

teamsnew2.png

I think I know what you mean, but this explanation doesn't really help.

To whom are you providing "a whole bunch of options"? If it's us, the viewers, that's fine - but on these boards, you are presenting your vision as you intended it to be. So to us, it appears that your concept is, in fact, 7 jerseys, and that's all that we have to make comments about. If you were looking for a vote, you can set up polls through the boards. Or tell people you're looking to choose between an orange alt and a black one; let us know that you wouldn't intend to have 7 jerseys at the Orioles' disposal, and your concept would be judged accordingly.

If, on the other hand, your set was designed to provide "a whole bunch of options" to the team before games, then your concept does have 7 jerseys, and my suggestion is more valid.

It sounds like you meant the former - which, now that we know you were not presenting your concept as having 7 jerseys but wanted us to pick from your entire sample, makes more sense.

Just a miscommunication, apparently. We can only comment on what we see and how we have it presented.

2007nleastchamps.png

Okay, but even if you wanted to make it aggressive, that doesn't inherently make it a "good alternative." Not every sports team needs to have aggressive imagery, especially the Orioles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, but even if you wanted to make it aggressive, that doesn't inherently make it a "good alternative." Not every sports team needs to have aggressive imagery, especially the Orioles.

I don't know if this matters, but I was browsing elsewhere and came across the "pissed-off" Orioles' logo, from the official O's web site. It's actually an old design from the mid-1960s that IATD decided to make into the primary. So since he didn't actually design it, we shouldn't really criticize him for the design of the bird.

On the other hand, if you want to criticize his use of that bird as his new primary, then that's between you and your god. Go nuts...

2007nleastchamps.png

Archived