2005 Home Run Derby

Cujo

Who's your pick to win Monday night?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This year each player in the derby this year will represent a different country. I'm not sure why exactly they're doing this, but I suppose it will spice up the contest.

There's no Cub in it this year, so since they went the international route, I'm pulling for Teixeira. :flagusa:

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Ichiro didn't want to participate, but they still should have gotten Hideki Matsui to represent Japan. I should be rooting for Bay, but I went with my head instead of my heart and voted for Carlos Lee.

They've also got this Golden Home Run Ball thing going on:

The Golden Home Run Ball presented by CENTURY 21 will add extra meaning -- and even more fun -- to this year's event. As usual, there are three rounds and each batter gets 10 outs in an attempt to hit as many home runs as possible, with anything other than a homer recorded as an out. But this time, a Golden Home Run Ball will be substituted once each batter has recorded his ninth out. The balls are two-toned, with one of the stitched leather sheaths colored gold and the other one traditional white.

Those special baseballs will be used in that situation for as many pitches it takes before that batter makes his 10th out. So if a batter has nine outs and then hits five home runs in a row, each of those would be hit using a Golden Home Run Ball.

For every home run hit by a CENTURY 21 Home Run Derby participant after his ninth out, Major League Baseball and CENTURY 21 will combine to donate $21,000 to charity. The charity recipients will be Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the official charity of Major League Baseball, and Easter Seals, the official charity of Century 21 Real Estate LLC. Since 2000, a total of 37 home runs have been hit in the CENTURY 21 Home Run Derby after a batter had nine outs.

I know Ichiro didn't want to participate

With 43 homeruns in 5 seasons, I don't blame him.

Apparently he can sock some long dingers in BP, though, and was asked but declined. :therock:

This is ridicoulos. Let the best homeruns hitters hit, regardless are birthplace.

I agree. The only interesting outcome would be if Bay (Canada) and Teixeira (USA) faced off in the final round. I could care less about the other countries represented in the derby.

6uXNWAo.png

I know Ichiro didn't want to participate

With 43 homeruns in 5 seasons, I don't blame him.

Apparently he can sock some long dingers in BP, though, and was asked but declined. :therock:

Yeah, but that's crap. They say he could be a homerun hitter if he wanted to be, it's just not what the Mariners need, but that's crap. If you can hit a homerun you do it...there's no better thing you can do to help your team than give them a guranteed run.

This year each player in the derby this year will represent a different country. I'm not sure why exactly they're doing this, but I suppose it will spice up the contest.

MLB is using this to help promote the World Baseball Classic next spring. It will probably be like the North America vs. the World All-Star Games the NHL had a few years back and will revert back to the traditional style in a few years.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I know Ichiro didn't want to participate, but they still should have gotten Hideki Matsui to represent Japan. I should be rooting for Bay, but I went with my head instead of my heart and voted for Carlos Lee.

I believe they asked Matsui and he declined.

MLB is using this to help promote the World Baseball Classic next spring.Β  It will probably be like the North America vs. the World All-Star Games the NHL had a few years back and will revert back to the traditional style in a few years.

Changing up the Home Run Derby is NOT gonna make me wanna watch the World Baseball Classic.

There's gotta be a better way to promote the tournament.

6uXNWAo.png

C'mon, I know there aren't many big homer run hitters for this HRD, but this screws Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada, Alex Rodriguez, Brian Roberts, Vladimir Guerrero, Albert Pujols, and Aramis Ramirez (amongst others) out of a tournament that they earned so names like Jason Bay and Hee-Shop Choi can be in it, just because they were born in a different country. Pure bull.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Β 

Β 

C'mon, I know there aren't many big homer run hitters for this HRD, but this screws Manny Ramirez, Miguel Tejada, Alex Rodriguez, Brian Roberts, Vladimir Guerrero, Albert Pujols, and Aramis Ramirez (amongst others) out of a tournament that they earned so names like Jason Bay and Hee-Shop Choi can be in it, just because they were born in a different country. Pure bull.

They should do the same thing in the Olympics... the track and field should be all americans since they're always the best :rolleyes:

It's a friggin home run derby, chillax.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

This is nother stupid gimick by Selig, Matsui may have been a good choice but hes not an All-Star.

The HR derby should alway be the top 4 HR hitters from each league, its bad enough already taht its at Comerica Park where HRs go to die.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the Derby should be the top 7 homerun hitters and then last years winner. This years should be

Miguel Tejada- 19 (last year's winner gets automatic bid)

Manny Rameriez- 22 (Pulojs, Floyd, and C. Lee also had 22 but Manny gets in to even the competition with 4 AL and NL players)

Alex Rodriguez- 23

Morgan Ensberg- 23

Adam Dunn- 23

Mark Teixeira- 24

Derek Lee- 26

Andruw Jones- 27

*Note- If Pulojs hits a homerun tonight he will get in over Manny

Archived