Winnipeg and the new NHL

Phil

Is there is a new CBA that makes it easiewr for small markets like Winnipeg to make money. However, As I have said before Winnipeg is not going to get a team. The CBA also makes it easier for other US markets to be succesfull. So if a team like Nashville does end up moving there will be going to another US market, like Kansas City.

No team is going to move to Canada, the reason TV. Sure the league signed a deal for no money however it doesn't mean they aren't going to try to get a big deal in the future. If a team moves from the US to Canada it hurts the chance of a big future tv deal.

So while a team in Winnipeg might be able to run a profit. The league would be reluctant to approve a move to Winnipeg because it wpuld hurt them on a future TV deal. Can't just look at the economics of just 1 team you have to look at the league as a whole.

The only way Winnipeg gets a team is a Canadian team moving there (which won't happen because the new CBA), or an Expansion team (which won't happen anytime soon because the talent is already thin).

But just think this Winnipeg has a better chance at getting a team than Hartford.

I think Kansas City could work as well.

They may not have the hockey history, but at the very least the team would be the only 'major league' game in town for much of the winter.

The new arena would help spark attendance early, and successful marketing, which could be facilitated by the aforementioned natural rivals, could make Kansas City a feasible option.

Whether the team could survive in the long run in either city is anyone's guess. Both situations would see a multitude of factors figure in, such as...

- the salary structure's movement: might the floor in 10 years be at 45-55 million?

- the Canadian dollar (for Winnipeg): right now the trend is positive, but will it last?

- long-term fan interest (more for KC): eventually gimmicks wear off, and you have to have fans who know and love the game.

- other entertainment options: can Winnipeggers afford the ticket prices? Will the NBA want to move into the Sprint Center too?

Combine this with a whole host of economic and socio-demographic factors that can affect the fortunes of any team, and you have a future that is anything but predictable (is it ever?).

Personally, I like Kansas City, and would welcome a team there, but if it comes down to WPG vc KC, I think it's fairly obvious where my loyalties lie. :)

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think the NHL really messed up by awarding expansion franchises to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, and Columbus, instead of giving them to deserving cities that will actually support a team like Winnepeg and possibly Seattle, KC, or Houston. Now the NHL is stuck with having 30 teams, which IMO is the maximum amount of teams the NHL should have for now, which leaves no room for further expansion and who knows how soon it will be until a team seriously considers relocating, especially to Canada.

6uXNWAo.png

If only the Canadian government would tie the value of the Canadian dollar to match the US dollar. Then one problem could be solved.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Randy Turner in today's Winnipeg Free Press:

It won't be a matter of, "Are there enough corporate dollars in town to buy into the team."

Without a doubt, the most naive - or uninformed - utterance I've heard about the state of modern professional sports in quite some time. We are living in 2005, Randy... not 1905. The extent to which corporate support is available to a professional sports franchise in a particular market is, without a doubt, one of the most crucial pieces of the puzzle in determining said franchise's viability in the modern sports/entertainment marketplace. It goes way beyond a deep-pocketed "captain of industry" owning the franchise. It is a matter of corporate entities ponying up for expensive suites and club seats, signing on as sponsors and advertising partners, etc.

It won't be a matter of, "Are there enough corporate dollars in town to buy into the team." :rolleyes:

I think the NHL really messed up by awarding expansion franchises to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, and Columbus,...

Do you realize that every year Columbus has been in the league they have had for the season 95% of their arena filled or higher. Do you realize that it is Columbus, Ohio. It's not some southern team. The Blue Jackets are the only team in Ohio, plus they are the only team in the city. The people of Columbus has supported hockey previous to the Jackets, in Ohio State Hockey. Columbus has been a success and was a great move imo for the NHL.

You need to think before you say something.

Randy Turner in today's Winnipeg Free Press:

It won't be a matter of, "Are there enough corporate dollars in town to buy into the team."

Without a doubt, the most naive - or uninformed - utterance I've heard about the state of modern professional sports in quite some time. We are living in 2005, Randy... not 1905. The extent to which corporate support is available to a professional sports franchise in a particular market is, without a doubt, one of the most crucial pieces of the puzzle in determining said franchise's viability in the modern sports/entertainment marketplace. It goes way beyond a deep-pocketed "captain of industry" owning the franchise. It is a matter of corporate entities ponying up for expensive suites and club seats, signing on as sponsors and advertising partners, etc.

It won't be a matter of, "Are there enough corporate dollars in town to buy into the team." :rolleyes:

I agree. Maybe he should have said.......are there enough corporate dollars to buy luxuary suites. Because we all know that is where the real money is.

I think the NHL really messed up by awarding expansion franchises to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, and Columbus,...

Do you realize that every year Columbus has been in the league they have had for the season 95% of their arena filled or higher. Do you realize that it is Columbus, Ohio. It's not some southern team. The Blue Jackets are the only team in Ohio, plus they are the only team in the city. The people of Columbus has supported hockey previous to the Jackets, in Ohio State Hockey. Columbus has been a success and was a great move imo for the NHL.

You need to think before you say something.

It's just an opinion, so chill. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

I know it's just your opinion, but explain why Columbus is any less of a deserving city than Seattle, KC or Houston.

According to infoplease.com, Columbus is #15 in the largest U.S. cities by population, just behind San Francisco. Houston is #4, and the other two cities aren't even on the list.

Columbus is right in the middle of Ohio, along the Great Lakes region that is known to be very supportive of NHL and NCAA hockey. The nearest teams to Columbus would be Detroit, Toronto, Nashville, and Pittsburgh. But this area is densley populated and can absolutely support a team.

When the expansion cities were first introduced, I had thought that the franchise should have gone to a more established professional team destination, like Cleveland or Cincinnati. But the fan support for NHL and NCAA hockey had proven to me that Columbus can support a team as well as any other large city, Original Six or not.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I know it's just your opinion, but explain why Columbus is any less of a deserving city than Seattle, KC or Houston.

According to infoplease.com, Columbus is #15 in the largest U.S. cities by population, just behind San Francisco. Houston is #4, and the other two cities aren't even on the list.

Columbus is right in the middle of Ohio, along the Great Lakes region that is known to be very supportive of NHL and NCAA hockey. The nearest teams to Columbus would be Detroit, Toronto, Nashville, and Pittsburgh. But this area is densley populated and can absolutely support a team.

When the expansion cities were first introduced, I had thought that the franchise should have gone to a more established professional team destination, like Cleveland or Cincinnati. But the fan support for NHL and NCAA hockey had proven to me that Columbus can support a team as well as any other large city, Original Six or not.

Plus, on top of that I think the fact that they are the only team in town helps. In Cleveland you have to compete with the Cavs, indians and Borwns. Cincy the Red and Bengals. Columbus no one.

Plus, on top of that I think the fact that they are the only team in town helps. In Cleveland you have to compete with the Cavs, indians and Borwns. Cincy the Red and Bengals. Columbus no one.

Except for that one team? Which one is it again? They play in some stadium downtown. Holds like 90,000+ people. Oh yeah.

THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Except for that one team? Which one is it again? They play in some stadium downtown. Holds like 90,000+ people. Oh yeah.

THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

But they are a college team. There is no pro competition. It's a huge difference being in the same town with other pro teams than being in the same town as a college.

Once again not rying to start something. i'm also not a fan of this team, but why do people take shots a columbus. I want more northern franchises to but Columbus is in Ohio which if you ask me is not the Sun Belt. Washington is more Southern then Columbus. So you can take runs at Miami,Tampa, Atlanta ... but don't with Columbus because there hockey fans there

untitled-6.jpg

You can make a case that Winnipeg was a better market for the NHL than Phoenix. No such case can be made for Quebec. The Nordiques were losing money hand-over-fist, they played in an obsolete venue in the smallest market in the four major sports, and the various levels of government were unwilling to pay for a new arena. And they have been sensationally popular in Denver.

Winnipeg could get another team if the fans are willing to pay the highest ticket prices in the league, tickets that would be more expensive than the Rangers' pre-Lockout prices.

I miss watching the Jets lose... :D

Anyway--on a more serious note...

I don't see any of the 6 existing Canadian teams moving to Winnipeg-unless something dramatic happens--all the 6 teams have larger markets than Winnipeg,a nd most, if not all would have more corporate presence as well...

Of course those things could change and make Winnipeg more favourable--but that's an "if that happens" scenario...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Best of luck to:

-Winnipeg

-Quebec City

-Hartford (GO WHALERS!)

-Kansas City

-Oklahoma (they ARE the best minor league city in hockey)

-and what the hell, even Hamilton (which likely won't work due to proximity to Toronto and Buffalo).

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

You can make a case that Winnipeg was a better market for the NHL than Phoenix.  No such case can be made for Quebec.  The Nordiques were losing money hand-over-fist, they played in an obsolete venue in the smallest market in the four major sports, and the various levels of government were unwilling to pay for a new arena.  And they have been sensationally popular in Denver. 

Winnipeg could get another team if the fans are willing to pay the highest ticket prices in the league, tickets that would be more expensive than the Rangers' pre-Lockout prices.

we all know that you want all the canadian teams to fold. remember this anyone?

And Canada can bite me.

unfortunatly for you, canadian fans are the best hockey fans in the world, and actually support their team through thick and thin, something that cant be said for nashville, atlanta, washington, pittsburgh (sp?), carolina, and even the stanley cup champs tampa bay. at least two of those teams should be moved, one to winnipeg, one to kc. one can stay (probablly the lightining) and the others should fold.

Archived