Beloit snappers

Sterling84

Hey guys.

Just thought I'd share with you the work I did for the Snappers last summer.  None of it was used but a hybrid of my modified "Snappy" is on their website.  

To my knowledge he won't be used on any on the field merchandise any time soon or at all.

Some of this stuff was junk..but I really like the new Snappy.

The old one was cute and classic and Let me tell you, adored by their fans...but he's constipated and scared too.  All I really did was clean it up and have him make eye contact with the viewer.

Whatever.

I like it.  I'm not sold on how I carried out the vicious Alligator Snapping turtle versions.  But I know something is there if I keep at it.  There isn't a much more intimidating animal in nature...so prehistoric.  Unfortunately, it's so prehistoric, without the clear "shell" context...people mistake it for a snake, witch, dragon, lizard, bird and more.

http://north18.com/images/MasterLogo_new2sheet.gif

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thanks man.

I don't want to post it merely to get compliments.  But they are always welcome and much appreciated.  

This was the second time I ever approached a team...after my Bucks failure..and I don't mind saying I was quite disappointed I met such (or any) resistance.  I don't mind too much that they didn't want the all new scary thing.  

But my batting turtle update is I think pretty much universally better and would take so little to implement.  I think they could have such a strong brand identity if they just tried a little harder.  Oh well.  

Don't get me started on where the on the field stuff has gone...yellow hats?!

Sterling, the Beloit Snappers identity was always one of my favorites in minor-league sports. However, I've got to say that your updates to the primary logo are PHENOMENAL! Simple, but tremendously effective. I'll agree that the Alligator Snapping turtle versions need to be fine-tuned, but I'll also say that they would be a more "mature" addition to the overall logo package. I can envision them being a big part of an increased merchandise line geared towards adult fans.

All in all, outstanding work!

Brian in Boston

Agreed, i owned a hat from the snappers when they first came out, along with the burlington bees.  It is a great logo, and what you did with it only improved on it.

Im really discouraged to hear teams with such resistance to outside opinion.

I think you have something really good with the crazy turtle, but its such a demographic switch from the lovey snappy that they wouldent ever have the balls to do it, unless maybe bill murray and bill veeck bought interest or something.

Colors are great, logos are great, i think u should keep trying, def. try to figure out this Ole Miss fiasco.  Maybe the lack of risk-taking is a wisconsin franchise 'thing'.

(leave it to a minnesotan to somehow blame wisconsin)

Wow.

Thanks guys. I appreciate that. Especially from Brian who admittedly doesn't throw praise where it doesn't belong.

It's sort of weird. Cause on this project alone, I don't mind patting myself on the back. I think the rework is phenomenal too..only I don't feel egotistical about it because to me it's not mine. I didn't do any of the heavy lifting. I just filled a consulting type roll. I Liked the current one, identified the weaknesses and fixed them.  A strategy I'd prefer to take more often than not...see 49'ers, Seahawks etc.

1) Shell looks like a soccer ball, Check

2) Near arm is in front of shell and should be coming from underneath it. Check

3) Neck and cheek blend together into some odd shape. (See head only version of their current hat.  Neck or Cheek? YOu tell me.)Check.

4) Hat is on backward, only the logo remains on front of the head. Check.

5) Colors are WAY too 1994 Brewers.  Check.

6) He's staring into space and grimmacing uncomfortably..Check. And we're done.

I imagine this is sort of similar for you Brian with that team that wouldn't listen to you? ONly I've spilled the beans publicly on who they were. For what is worth, (and to cover my butt) I totally enjoyed working with the Snappers on everything we did for their website. They are all a terrific bunch of guys. I just think there is sometimes some offense taken when a 20 something walks in, tells you what's wrong with your logo and already has it fixed. A tad presumptious perhaps. I probably rubbed them the wrong way a little. Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, I don't expect this thread to last very long, but sincere thanks for the critique and props. I know I can draw, but color I am weak on and it's good to hear I was on to something from people who's opinions matter to me. Kind of validates the "Aw man..." feeling I've been living with for a year.

PS - Pantone, I'm not sure anyone really knows what those Pantones are.  We weren't given any to work the site from...just made some up.

They are using the modified logo on the top left, the background, and on the who they're playing next thing.

go here to see the modified version.  The shell is changed, the green is changed, but other than that it's the same.  I like yours better, Sterling.

how did you do the 2 tone text on a curve like that?

I don't know how a pro would do it. But I design everything in the beginning in Flash. It's easy for me to understand. So I "broke apart" the font. Figured out where my curve was on another layer. Pasted that curve onto my now line art text..and filled in the top one color and the bottom another. It's easy.

I imagine in PS it would involve rastering the text, then masking half of it.

They are using the modified logo on the top left, the background, and on the who they're playing next thing.

go here to see the modified version. The shell is changed, the green is changed, but other than that it's the same. I like yours better, Sterling.

Thanks Sabres. I've seen that. Perhaps I wasn't terribly clear with what my role was on the site. I actually did all those graphics. Keeping the old colors was a compromise, but I wasn't about to put a crap .JPG of the old one on my crisp site layout. So I just split the difference and made mine in their colors.

THanks though, I like the colors I had better too.

Speaking of that site...man, half of the problem with small market teams is they have no solid design. NO money= no big name talent. Fine. But the other half of the problem is they don't know what they are doing. I had to recreate every teams logo in the Midwest League to do the matchup feature thing. Across the board the source images are uploaded wrong, grainy, pixelated, too big etc. The Battlecreek Yankees logo on the Midwest League site, is like HUGE. It's probably a 300dpi original artwork file and not scaled for web resolution..so even when they do have solid identities, they dont maximize their visibility.

is there a way that you can hear me clap... wow... im not sure what is more impressive your artwork or their ability to cram their head up their ass that far...lol... great work none the less

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

I had to recreate every teams logo in the Midwest League to do the matchup feature thing. Across the board the source images are uploaded wrong, grainy, pixelated, too big etc.

Good gosh, ya shoulda told me...

(Yikes!)

• 2 months later...

WAY out of the blue....but I got this today via email and thought some of you collectors would be interested.  Particularly the Prince Fielder and Tony Gwynn Jr. stuff.

Hey Snapper Fan!

It's that time of the year again! Once again the Snappers are selling some of their game-worn jerseys. We have gone through and created a list of the jerseys we have available for sale, the players that wore them during the past two seasons, and the jersey size. In the following paragraphs you will find information on how to purchase jerseys on a first come, first serve basis. Also included is information on special autographed items from the past season that will be available on EBAY.com, throughout the upcoming off-season, for everyone to bid on.

JERSEY PURCHASE INFORMATION

The Beloit Snappers organization will begin allowing people to purchase the jerseys listed below beginning on Monday, November 10th at 9:00AM.

Please remember these are "game worn" jerseys! They are generally in good conditions but have been worn for two seasons and obviously have been washed quite a few times. There is a shipping charge of $5 per jersey to ship in the United States, or $10 per jersey if you wish to have them insured during shipping. For shipping outside the United States, please contact the office for shipping charges.

We will NOT accept any orders before November 10th, 2003 at 9AM. Beginning at 9AM we will accept orders for jerseys by phone (608-362-2272), in person at the Snappers offices or email (jvohs@snappersbaseball.com).

The Snappers accept payment by Mastercard or Visa over the phone or email, or Mastercard, Visa, cash or check at the Snappers office. ALL SALES ARE FINAL!!!

JERSEYS FOR SALE

Home Jersey: We have thirty home jerseys available for the prices listed below. The home jersey is an all white jersey with sleeves. "SNAPPERS" is across the front of the jersey in solid green letters, outlined in white and navy. The number is solid green on the front left of the jersey (below "SNAPPERS") and centered on the back of the jersey. There is a small green Rawlings logo on the left sleeve, along with an American Flag patch centered above the number on the back of the jersey.

The following jerseys were worn in both 2002 and 2003 and are $75 each:

#2 - worn by Ralph Santana (2002), Callix Crabbe (2003); size 44

#3 - worn by Ozzie Chavez (2002), Kennard Bibbs (2003); size 44

#4 - worn by Thomas Carrow (2002); size 44

#5 - worn by Chris Barnwell (2002), John VandenBerg (2003); size 46

#6 - worn by Jason Bates (2002), Steve Moss (2003); size 46

#8 - worn by Terry Mayo (2002), Mike Guerrero (2003); size 46

#10 - worn by Elliott Ayala (2002), Carl Michaels (2002), Nic Carter (2003); size 46

#12 - worn by Dan Boyd (2002), Andrew Prater (2003), Jeff Housman (2003); size 46

#13 - worn by Hector Garcia (2002), Rich Sauveur (2003); size 46

#14 - worn by Jerry Oakes (2002), Khalid Ballouli (2003); size 46

#15 - worn by Dane Artman (2002), Eric Henderson (2003), Justin Gabriel (2003); size 46

#17 - worn by Brandon Gemoll (2002), Chas Terni (2003); size 46

#18 - worn by R.C. Lichtenstein (2002), Mario Mendez (2003); size 46

#19 - worn by Scott Candelaria (2002), Craig Breslow (2003); size 46

#20 - worn by Florian Villanueva (2002), Joel Alvarado (2002), Jeff Eure (2003); size 46

#21 - worn by Chris Saenz (2002), Bo Hall (2003); size 46

#23 - worn by Pedro Esparagoza (2002-03), Eric Henderson (2002); size 46

#24 - worn by Jonah McClanahan (2002), J.D. Wheeler (2002), Keith Bohanan (2003),

Mark Ernster (2003); size 46

#25 - worn by Travis Hinton (2002-03); size 48

#27 - worn by John Steitz (2002); size 48

#28 - worn by Richard Dishman (2002), Adam Heether (2003); size 48

#29 - worn by Ryan Trytten (2002-03), Forrest Martin (2003); size 48

#30 - worn by David Nolasco (2002), Jason Baker (2003); size 48

#32 - worn by Danny Kolb (2002), Luis Pena (2003); size 48

#33 - worn by Dan Hall (2002), Josh Alliston (2003); size 48

#35 - worn by Brian Nielsen (2002), John Huizinga (2003), Gabe Mendoza (2003); size 48

The following jerseys were worn in both 2002 and 2003 and are $100 each:

#7 - worn by Don Money (2002-03); size 48

#9 - worn by Jason Belcher (2002), Tom Wilhelmsen (2003); size 46

The following jersey was worn in both 2002 and 2003 and is $125:

#16 - worn by Mike Jones (2002), Calvin Carpenter (2003); size 46

The following jersey was worn in both 2002 and 2003 and is $175:

#31 - worn by Prince Fielder (2002), Brad Nelson (2002), Tim Bausher (2003); size 48

Road Jersey: We have two road jerseys available for the price listed below. The road jersey is an all gray jersey with sleeves. "SNAPPERS" is across the front of the jersey in solid navy letters, outlined in white. There is navy piping on the sleeves of the jersey, along with around the neck and down the front. The number is solid navy, outlined in white, on the front left of the jersey (below "SNAPPERS") and centered on the back of the jersey. Finally, there is a small navy Rawlings logo on the left sleeve of the jersey.

The following jerseys were worn in 2003 and are $75 each:

#6 - worn by Steve Moss (2003); size 46

#33 - worn by Josh Alliston (2003); size 48

AUCTION ITEMS INFORMATION

The following items will be available throughout the upcoming off-season for you to bid on at EBAY.com. Please check the site frequently for the items, along with the current bids on them.

All jerseys are game-worn and autographed by the listed players, and come with a Certificate of Authenticity from the Beloit Snappers. All baseball hats and baseballs are game-worn and game-used from the Beloit Snappers/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers game played at Miller Park on Thursday, August 14th. Each hat and ball has been authenticated by Major League Baseball. Each authentication number is listed with the item.

Tony Gwynn, Jr. Items:

#1 Home Jersey - worn and autographed by Tony Gwynn, Jr.; size 44;

#1 Road Jersey - worn and autographed by Tony Gwynn, Jr.; size 44

Miller Park Game-Worn Hat (2 available) - worn and autographed by Tony Gwynn, Jr.; Authenticity numbers MT000249463 and MT000249466

Miller Park Game-Used Baseball (2 available) - autographed by Tony Gwynn Jr.; Authenticity numbers MR0242793 and MR0242794

Rickie Weeks Items:

#11 Home Jersey - worn and autographed by Rickie Weeks; size 46

#11 Road Jersey - worn and autographed by Rickie Weeks; size 46

#11 Batting Practice Jersey - worn and autographed by Rickie Weeks; size 46

Miller Park Game-Worn Hat - worn and autographed by Rickie Weeks; Authenticity number MT000249460

Miller Park Game-Used Baseball - autographed by Rickie Weeks; Authenticity number MR0242788

Dennis Sarfate Items:

#22 Home Jersey - worn and autographed by Dennis Sarfate; size 46

#22 Road Jersey - worn and autographed by Dennis Sarfate; size 46

#22 Batting Practice Jersey - worn and autographed by Dennis Sarfate: size 46

Miller Park Game-Worn Hat - worn and autographed by Dennis Sarfate; Authenticity number MT000249465

Manny Parra Items:

#26 Home Jersey - worn and autographed by Manny Parra; size 48

#26 Road Jersey - worn and autographed by Manny Parra; size 48

#26 Batting Practice Jersey - worn and autographed by Manny Parra; size 48

Miller Park Game-Worn Hat - worn and autographed by Manny Parra; Authenticity number MT000249459

Miller Park First Pitch Ball - autographed by Manny Parra; Authenticity number MR0242786

Prince Fielder Items:

#34 Home Jersey - worn and autographed by Prince Fielder; size 48

#34 Road Jersey - worn and autographed by Prince Fielder; size 48

#34 Batting Practice Jersey - worn and autographed by Prince Fielder; size 48

Miller Park Game-Worn Hat - worn and autographed by Prince Fielder; Authenticity number MT000249462

Miller Park Game-Used Baseball (2 available) - autographed by Prince Fielder; Authenticity numbers MR0242789 and MR0242795

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me at 608-362-2272 or email me at jvohs@snappersbaseball.com. REMEMBER ALL SALES ARE FINAL!! WE WILL NOT ACCEPT RETURNS OR EXCHANGES!

Sincerely,

Jeff Vohs

Assistant General Manager/Operations

Beloit Snappers Baseball Team

newbie signing in....Just wanted to say I'm really impressed with the concepts you presented, particularly those revolving around a more realistic representation of a snapping turtle (what you called an aligator snapping turtle).  I've never been a big fan of cartoon anthropomorphic logos, so I admit I'm a bit biased, but none the less, some great work.  Lastly, your color scheme meshes really well, I'm particularly fond of the dark blue/green you used, very nice.  Just out of curiousity, did you experiment at all with using gold (particularly a darker "antique gold") in place of neon-green?

• 8 years later...

I hate to bump a 9 year old thread...but I'm just wondering if these logos were still floating around anywhere. I haven't seen Sterling active on the boards lately, so hopefully someone else in this thread has them. I had them saved to my computer and it died, some time ago. And I found myself looking through my "inspiration" logos and couldn't find these. I would love to find them again.

Archived