Gi-normous NBA trade

officeglenn

The largest trade in NBA history went down today, involving five teams and 13 players:

In the largest trade in NBA history, Antoine Walker was dealt from Boston to Miami on Tuesday night in a transaction involving five teams and 13 players.

The Heat also acquired point guard Jason Williams and small forward James Posey from Memphis, while the Grizzlies received guard Eddie Jones from the Heat. The New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz were also involved in the deal. The trade was larger than a 12-player, four-team deal in 2000 involving Patrick Ewing that had been the biggest in league history.

Miami also received Andre Emmett from Memphis and the draft rights to Roberto Duenas of Spain from the Hornets; Utah received Greg Ostertag from Memphis; Boston picked up Curtis Borchardt from Utah and a package - Qyntel Woods, the draft rights to Spanish centre Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash - from Miami; New Orleans acquired Rasual Butler from Miami and Kirk Snyder from Utah; and the Grizzlies received guard Raul Lopez from the Jazz.

I can barely keep track of all that activity. :wacko:

Let's see if we can't break this down ...

MIAMI

IN: Antoine Walker, Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett, Roberto Duenas

OUT: Eddie Jones, Rasual Butler, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash

BOSTON

IN: Curtis Borchardt, Qyntel Woods, Albert Miralles, two second-round draft picks and cash

OUT: Antoine Walker

MEMPHIS

IN: Eddie Jones, Raul Lopez

OUT: Jason Williams, James Posey, Andre Emmett, Greg Ostertag

NEW ORLEANS

IN: Rasual Butler, Kirk Snyder

OUT: Roberto Duenas

UTAH

IN: Greg Ostertag

OUT: Curtis Borchardt, Kirk Snyder, Raul Lopez

I think that's right ...

MIAMI:

Walker: proven player, good 3 PT shot, rebounder, fills the SF spot

Posey: is a solid defender who has struggled with his shot

Emmett: good prospect who could become a solid player

Duenas: prospect who will likely play in Spain for a while

Williams: Top point guard, has a "shoot-first" mentallity more than most PG's

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

C: O'neal

PF: Haslem

SF: A.Walker

SG: Wade

PG: J.Williams

BOSTON:

Borchardt: gives Boston depth at centre, has steadily improved last few years

Woods: will bounce in and out of the lineup

Miralles: will play in Europe for a couple more years, another centre

C: Blount

PF: LaFrentz (possibly Jefferson)

SF: R.Davis

SG: Pierce

PG: M.Banks (can't see Boston starting the season with him, may make trade for PG

MEMPHIS:

Jones: old vet with few years left of being a starter

Lopez: young spanish PG who hasn't lived up to expectation thus far

C: Wright

PF: Gasol

SF: Miller

SG: Jones

PG: Damon Stoudamire

NEW ORLEANS:

Butler: good SF with nice 3 PT shot

Snyder: 2nd year guard who looks like a keeper

C: Magloire

PF: Brown

SF: Butler

SG: J.R. Smith

PG: Paul*

UTAH:

Ostertag: long time Jazz centre who was come back to Utah after 2 years

C: Okur

PF: Boozer

SF: Kirilenko

SG: Giricek

PG: D.Williams

Note: most starting lineups will probably change since there are still a couple of months before season begins, more trades by these teams are likely:

ie. Boston: PG situation

Miami upgraded everywhere, and add to the fact they just extended Shaq's contract (5 yrs, $100 million), they look really strong. Sad to see Eddie go, but he just wasn't worth the money.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

This could have just gotten teh NBA Championship for the Miami Heat.

Please tell me you're kidding me.

If anything, this has started off a chain reaction towards the implosion of the Miami Heat... and I'm loving it.

Antoine Walker brings nothing to the table to the Heat other than horrible shot selection, sub-par defense and a little shimmy which Shaq has already mastered the art of.

Jason Williams is no upgrade over Damon Jones, Keyon Dooling or even Wade at the point. He's too flashy and just not a reliable point guard that the Heat need.

Posey is a decent pick up, but he really has no use now that he's essentially the 3rd or 4th option behind Shaq, Wade and Fatoine.

The Heat were an injury away from the finals... this is not what the team needed. The signing of Shaq to a 5 yr 100 mil contract is also horrible... Shaq was less than effective last year in the grand scheme of things... he's getting up in age and starting to fade in terms of his dominance over a game. After another year or 2 max, Shaq is done and the Heat will have an Allan Houston situation on their hands. While also filled with overrated talent outside of Wade, who I really don't see sticking with the Heat in the end.

Bottom line is, the Heat on paper look great... they've got 4 marquee names in their starting lineup. But every single player the Heat got will take away from what made the Heat so good last season, and will hinder the development of Dwyane Wade into a real stud.

But being a Knick fan, I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I think the Heat will win the NBA Championship now. They are strong on all levels Shaq is still a monster and Wade is jsut gonna get better.

The Knicks ha watch they will disappoint everything DOlan touches he ruins, GLena Staher was a genius before coaching the Rangers now here comes Larry Brown.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think the Heat basically just mortgaged their next decade for a title in the next year or two (and they will win at least one). This goes back to an old argument, which would you rather your team do, go in the direction of the Florida Marlins and buy your way out of the cellar and win it all in the span of a year and a half or like the Patriots and wait through 40 years of futility, but make up for it with a run like they're going through now?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I really like what the Heat did here. Walker vastly improves the frontcourt, and not only will Williams complement Wade, but it works out great for him to play in Miami, since he's a Florida native.

VmWIn6B.png

I guess I'm in the minority in trying to figure out what the hell the Heat were thinking.

First off, signing Shaq to a 5 Year deal? How can signing a chronically injured 33 year old to a 5 year deal fror $20 million be a good thing? I don't care if he's among the most dominant players in NBA History -- he's old, often injured, and, last year aside, usually out of shape.

Secondly, the Heat now have three players that can be considered Superstars. They had two last year and Shaq complained about not getting enough touches in the playoffs -- how do you think he's going to feel when Antoine Walker throws up poor shot after poor shot? Hell, Shaq's complained everywhere he's been about not getting enough touches and each time he had another superstar.

They got rid of their best defender -- so that's one, very important place, that they got worse. They had a roleplayer at PG, a very good one, at that, who didn't need the ball in his hands -- Williams will, which isn't so good with D-Wade's slashing style. Besides, I think Williams is a step down from Jones, anyway.

And are you people blind? Guarenteeing that the Heat will win atleast one Championship because of this? Are you unaware of a certain team that plays in San Antonio that can beat you playing your style or destroy you playing theirs?

IUe6Hvh.png

I guess I'm in the minority in trying to figure out what the hell the Heat were thinking.

First off, signing Shaq to a 5 Year deal? How can signing a chronically injured 33 year old to a 5 year deal fror $20 million be a good thing? I don't care if he's among the most dominant players in NBA History -- he's old, often injured, and, last year aside, usually out of shape.

Secondly, the Heat now have three players that can be considered Superstars. They had two last year and Shaq complained about not getting enough touches in the playoffs -- how do you think he's going to feel when Antoine Walker throws up poor shot after poor shot? Hell, Shaq's complained everywhere he's been about not getting enough touches and each time he had another superstar.

They got rid of their best defender -- so that's one, very important place, that they got worse. They had a roleplayer at PG, a very good one, at that, who didn't need the ball in his hands -- Williams will, which isn't so good with D-Wade's slashing style. Besides, I think Williams is a step down from Jones, anyway.

And are you people blind? Guarenteeing that the Heat will win atleast one Championship because of this? Are you unaware of a certain team that plays in San Antonio that can beat you playing your style or destroy you playing theirs?

well shaq was due 31 million this year, so it saves a bit.

and i guess the prelude to this deal was wells going to sacramento for jackson and ostertag

i don't know if this improves anyone that much..to me it's another one of these big shuffling of players kind of thing, more about cap and contracts..i agree that miami looks better on paper, but jones was a nice defender and now they have a line-up that loves to have the ball..williams is not in the nash/ kidd mold like riley says..he is more of a shooter (just what they need)..same thing for walker..more shots and less defense and rebounding , which is why ainge traded him twice..

i like what new jersey is doing way more than miami

They had two last year and Shaq complained about not getting enough touches in the playoffs -- how do you think he's going to feel when Antoine Walker throws up poor shot after poor shot?Β  Hell, Shaq's complained everywhere he's been about not getting enough touches and each time he had another superstar.

They got rid of their best defender -- so that's one, very important place, that they got worse.Β  They had a roleplayer at PG, a very good one, at that, who didn't need the ball in his hands -- Williams will, which isn't so good with D-Wade's slashing style.Β  Besides, I think Williams is a step down from Jones, anyway.

Damon Jones can't guard a cardboard box, so if Jason Williams even plays a hint of defense and can lead the team in an efficient manner, then it's definitely a step up at PG.

Eddie Jones was a great defender...five years ago. He is no longer the player he once was. His 3-point shooting will be missed, and he is a classy guy, but other than that, Miami fans were ready to see him go.

And ITE, I didn't hear Shaq complaining about his touches when the Heat started 8-0 in the playoffs. The problem with Shaq last year (during the injury) was that he was shooting horribly when he tried his little hook jump. He was awful. And then he thought he could fix it with more touches, but nope. He'd either miss, or get fouled, and that led to free throws which were anyone's guess.

Shaq was less than effective last year in the grand scheme of things

If you really believe that, then I'm going to say you're a complete idiot. If Shaq doesn't come to the Heat, there is no way any of the starting four have as good a season as last year. Shaq opened up the offense. You really think Wade would have been great if teams didn't have to worry about Shaq? You really think Damon Jones would have as many three point attempts if teams didn't have to worry about Shaq?

Was Shaq really effective during an injury-plagued series with the Pistons? No. But maybe watch, say, the other 90 games the Heat played and tell me Shaq wasn't effective.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Β 

Shaq was effective in getting the team to open up, sure. In terms of the grand scheme of things, Shaq will not and cannot provide what he used to. Miami his stats were far lower than in LA... but he was lucky, he has a budding star in Wade and had some solid roleplayers to drain shots when needed, like Damon Jones.

That's all but gone now. Who is going to play out on the perimeter and drain those shots that were once attempted by Damon Jones? Fatoine? If a defender gives him a cm worth of a look, he'll jack it up. He's no defensive stopper, and he demands the ball. Jason Williams is little to no threat from the perimeter... and Wade is obviously not a threat from the outside as his game is mainly elevated from getting into the paint. Shaq and Wade was a fine core to get them to a championship barring the right pieces. Bottom line, Walker and J Will are not the right pieces, and I can guarantee with ease it'll show early on.

Shaq's age, plus 4 players in the lineup who need the ball in their hands? Did anyone not learn from the Dallas Mavericks of 2003-2004? (which by the way, included Fatoine as one of the starting forwards)

San Antonio is still better than Miami. Detroit (although minus Larry Brown may be a big problem... but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now as they're the 2 time defending Eastern champs). Indiana will be better (especially after their recent signing of Sarunas Jasikevicius from Maccabi Tel Aviv and with Artest back).

As for the Knicks, they won't be very good... we all know that. They won't be terrible, but they're like the Heat in one very critical element... neither team is going to win the NBA championship.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived