Adidas to buy Reebok

jr79

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4740755.stm

German sports goods firm Adidas-Salomon says it has struck an agreement to buy US rival Reebok for 3.1bn euros ($3.8bn; £2.1bn).

The tie-up could create a challenger to Nike in the US market.

(Apologies if someone posted this but I couldn't see it in a search...)

So... three stripes on NHL jerseys? Or will they keep the Reebok brand in some sports and use adidas in other markets like soccer?

liverpool-1.png

Wow...now the A-league clubs will wear three stripes....we just got rid of the adidas for the national team....imagine Freo with the 3 stripes?

wow...seems strange for a big company to buy out another big company in the sports uniform/equipment manufacturer insutry

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I always thought that Reebok was English. I still remember the Reebok's logo with the Union Jack.

After all... Germany ends to eat an English thing... again. :D

Football fans: don't worry with the Adidas' 3 stripes in NFL, etc unis. Adidas surely will make the unis with only its logo like Reebok.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Hmmm...I talked to my friend who works at reebok last night and he said nothing about this.

Not that he would know for sure, but interesting none the less.

As usual staff are probably the last to be told Patrick.

I'm interested to see if they run a Reebok division for some sports or just go completely adidas. I'd tend to think the latter is more likely if challenging Nike is their aim... why dilute your brand identity by keeping the Reebok name?

Shareholders might vote it down of course but this doesn't exactly appear to be a hostile takeover.

liverpool-1.png

Hooooooooold the horses! Did really you think that Adidas will erase Reebok?

I don't think so. Adidas bought Reebok and I think that the Germans will keep the logo and activities that Reebok had made before of the fusion.

pennants.png

Hooooooooold the horses! Did really you think that Adidas will erase Reebok?

I don't think so. Adidas bought Reebok and I think that the Germans will keep the logo and activities that Reebok had made before of the fusion.

I agree, they bought Reebok in part for the name. I imagine it'll be similar to Nike and Converse.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

Yeah, recently I read in a Castillan news website that Reebok will keep its name and its central house still stays in Canton, Massachusetts.

End of speculations about the name of Reebok.

pennants.png

For the time being, maybe. However, if Adidas is doing this to pump up their market share and profile... well, it does absolutely nothing for them marketing-wise to maintain the Reebok brand long-term.

I'm willing to bet that if this deal goes through, Reebok will cease to exist as a stand-alone brand within five years.

BiB is right, if this is a phase out, we'll see NFL, NBA, NHL, and CFL stuff slowly go to Adidas in a few years. And judging how they always over use those darn signature 3-stripes, I'm seriously worried about the NHL's uniforms. Although, the Oilers, and the likely return of the blue and gold Sabres, they will absolutely love since they already have a 3-stripe design.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I don't know how adidas will handle the hockey contract. At least Reebok had somewhat of a history in hockey, dating back to 1992 (the Pump skate with CCM, and the logo on Olympic hockey jerseys). And even though the Reebok name was phasing out CCM/Jofa, it was a gradual change. I don't know if there still will be any products with CCM/Jofa branding when all is said and done; CCM and Jofa are almost exclusively hockey, and so they have a reputation for quality hockey gear. I don't think of adidas (or Nike for that matter) when I think of hockey, I think of adidas mostly with basketball, soccer and track & field.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Adidas wouldn't put three stripes on NFL jersies. In fact some teams were adidas before, and some college teams are now, and they don't have three stripes....look!

gallery6.jpg

gallery16.jpg

gallery19.jpg

gallery20.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

lopernv is right. It's Volkswagen.

Ahhh. Germans it is. Chrysler bought them in 1987 and they've changed hands couple o' times since. Shows how long it's been since I've read Motor Trend.

So yeah.........Adidas huh? Cool. I hate Reebok anyway.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived