Ot: massive power outage

CrookedThumb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Niagra-Mohawk Power Grid in Niagra, NY overloaded and shutdown. Here's the problem. That power plant is part of the Eastern Grd. There are three interconnected yet independent power grids in North America: The Eastern Grid, The Western Grid, and the Texas Grid. Now it turns out that this Niagra-Mohawk plant is a vital cog in the Eastern Grid. When it shut down, so shutdown the northeastern part of North America that this power plant was gridded with.

New York City

Northern New Jersey

Connecticut

New York State

Northern & Central Ohio (including Cleveland)

Detroit

Toronto

Ottawa

Ontario Province

Montreal

Quebec City

Lower Quebec Province

Boston, Philadelphia, most of Pennsylvania, and the southeast have not been effected by this power outage. They are not gridded with the Niagra plant.

Official word is that overuse caused the plant to shutdown.

(It's good to have a brother who's an engineer.. teaches ya these things)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Add parts of central Michigan to that list.

Yeah, I'm stuck at work (where I have power) 'cause it's not worth it to go home (where I don't). My cell phone battery died because I used it too much to try and figure out what was going on (before I realized the scope of the outage and just headed to CNN.com), I can't dial out from my office because the exchange is overloaded and no one has my office phone number so so one can get ahold of me. This is fun stuff.

This is what's great about the Internet, though: The guy who hosts this board has no power and the guy that runs it probably doesn't, but the board still goes on 'cause it's physically located in Texas. Hooray for Texas!

:P

Texas has it's own flippin grid. There's a Western Grid for Western America, an Eastern grid for Eastern America, and there is the Texas grid.. JUST FOR TEXAS...

Gotta love TX!

EDIT - Buffalo is the epicenter for this damn thing (Well, Niagra really, but close enough)

You should yurn your power off,  just based on principle...

:D

sB9ijEj.png

Pennsylvania got only a little blip of an outage. We're part of the PDM Grid (Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland) ... when the Niagara Grid went down, there was a little surge into the PDM, but then the relays clicked like they are supposed to and separated the PDM from the Niagara.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Pennsylvania got only a little blip of an outage. We're part of the PDM Grid (Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland) ... when the Niagara Grid went down, there was a little surge into the PDM, but then the relays clicked like they are supposed to and separated the PDM from the Niagara.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Yet another reason to live in Texas.

I lived in TX for almost a year some time ago. One day there was a tremendous rainstorm, and the temperature still didn't go below 95. It was raining hot water!

I came back to the great northeast not long after that.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Toledo has power back up. Everywhere else is still out.

I've been told my apartment had it back for about 30 seconds before they took it away again.  That was an hour ago or so.  It's kinda funny, the Lansing Board of Water and Light (my power company) has this on their website: "There are no outages to report at this time".  They should check about that.

There has to be some coordination between the plants to bring everything back together and right. Power isin't as easy as just throwing a switch, everything has to be brought back up slowly, and if one thing gets fu*ked up, everything will go out again.

This is a colossal fustercluck.....

sB9ijEj.png

I'm not saying it's as easy as throwing a switch (assuming you were replying to me, if not, oops). I've just been adding updates from here 'cause I have just about nothing else to do.

I've decided to risk going out 'cause I don't want to spend any more time stuck in my office. The good news is I got everything I was supposed to do tomorrow done already.

:)

hahahahah blackout 2003!! hahaha

just like how cnn decided to end the war, even though it wasn't over by putting up "AFTER IRAQ"

stupid cnn. i love how the first thing they say is "it's not terrorism"!! well i'll tell you what, if it IS, then that is pretty genius.

Yes they said it was lightning.

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

CNN loves making logos to put next to BREAKING NEWS on the screen.  they'll jump on anything for news. I don't get how this gets so much coverage. How much can you analyz the fact that there is no power.  Some places have blacked out, and the reason is known. So what is there to "analyze and break down?"

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Archived