numbers on pants (NFL)

slats7

You can take the question mark off the Colts. They wore numbers inside a horseshoe on the sides of the pants during the Colts' first season in Indianapolis (1984). I think they ditched the pant numbers around 1986.

Odom_Cliff2.jpg

colts had the horseshoe/numbers on the pants their last season in baltimore in 83 and the first couple of years in indy. they wore these with the blue jerseys ONLY.

for the white jerseys in this era, they wore white pants with a blue-silver-blue stripe combo, to match up with the shoulder stripe combo.

i don;t think the browns ever did this, but i know syracuse did this for many years (pant numerals).

tb

wow, never knew the Colts had gray pants. Did the Colts ever have blue pants?

I remember vaguely Jim Harbaugh wearing some. I think it only lasted for the first few games in one season.

good old google I found a pic:

FaulInd2.jpg

The Colts wore the blue pants in 1995. They never won a game in them (2 preseason and 1 regular season IIRC) before the NFL informed the team that they needed to apply for the uniform change at least one year in advance. The blue pants were (mercifully) outlawed. The only Colts player I remember having a positive comment about the white jersey / blue pants look was Derwin Gray. Derwin was a defensive back from BYU and he liked them because they were similar to what he wore in college.

Yeah, Forrest Gregg tried shaking up the Packers uniforms, with the helmet G placed over the sleeve stripes, a yellow stripe over the white pants stripe and a number patch on the hip (which he got from Dallas, a fact that meant Packer fans hated it). The look continued into Lindy Infante's first year as coach, but he dropped it as soon as he could. He noted the number on the hips made it easier for officials to call holding penalties on linemen because they could be identified easier.

Infante had his own uniform goof; he actually had the Packers wear white at home for two September games, in part because Vinny Testaverde - then QBing Tampa Bay - was supposedly colorblind and having problems seeing the orange Bucs unis. The Packers lost and nobody's done that again.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The same year the Colts wore royal blue pants with the white jersey, they also wore a metallic cobalt silver pants at home for ONE game with their blue jerseys, but both the players and fans protested them, saying they were far too much like the Dallas Cowboys of the 60's and 70's when they had a more royal jersey and they wore them with the away blue-silver pants. Who knows, maybe Jerry Jones raised a stink about it too. I cannot find a picture of them, but I remember the one game and I think it was a loss against the Cincinnati Bengals in overtime in the very first game of the season.

Everyone seems to remember the blue pants but not the silver ones- go figure. I'll look for something that proves they exist but ten year-old online archives take some time to go through.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Yeah, Forrest Gregg tried shaking up the Packers uniforms, with the helmet G placed over the sleeve stripes, a yellow stripe over the white pants stripe and a number patch on the hip (which he got from Dallas, a fact that meant Packer fans hated it). The look continued into Lindy Infante's first year as coach, but he dropped it as soon as he could. He noted the number on the hips made it easier for officials to call holding penalties on linemen because they could be identified easier.

Infante had his own uniform goof; he actually had the Packers wear white at home for two September games, in part because Vinny Testaverde - then QBing Tampa Bay - was supposedly colorblind and having problems seeing the orange Bucs unis. The Packers lost and nobody's done that again.

Here's a better look at Forrest Gregg's Packer redesign.

The only thing left from his redesign is the striping on the collar, which I'd love to see the Packers abandon.

colts_111902.jpgjohnsonellis.jpg

I really liked the Colts blue pants/blue facemask look! I wish they brought that back.

I also liked when the Lions wore blue pants!

33-41218-P.jpg

That was pretty sweet. I also kind of like the Browns orange pants...but not as much as maybe if they were brown pants.

AndreDavisReception4Web.jpg

Still...white on white is classic!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I think you might be one of the only ones who liked the Lions' blue pants. Including the Lions. :P

here here, make that two! heh

I loved that icy sort of feel they had with the pants. Just looking at them made me very cold

peshtigobloglogocc.jpg twittericonkingslut.gif

The only thing left from his redesign is the striping on the collar, which I'd love to see the Packers abandon.

No, no, NO...unless you're putting the TV numbers back down on the sleeves, bringing back the awesome 5-stripe socks (like on Turkey Day 2003), adding grey face masks and removing player names.

In other words, the 1967 uniform. (No earlier...the old font for the numbers was a bit weird.)

I say: go back to the '96 duds, but bring back the '67 socks (or the '89 version with the one gold ring...TO RULE THEM ALL.)

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

Archived