New Kentucky Basketball Jerseys

SoxSteeler

usually i'm not a fan of any nike piping changes, but these look sharp despite the fact that messing with kentucky basketball unis is somewhat sacreligious.

are you being faceteous? They change their unis practically every year and had some of the worst ones of the 90s. <_<

I'm pretty sure this set takes the cake.

19940227Georgia.jpg

AHH. I absolutely LOVED those "Umbro Logo" shorts. Then they went to the "teeth". Then just basic with a blue side panel for the first half of the 95-96 season, with the denim coming in the second half, as well as the National Championship!! Go Big Blue!! UK all the Way!! :woot::woot:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
usually i'm not a fan of any nike piping changes, but these look sharp despite the fact that messing with kentucky basketball unis is somewhat sacreligious.

are you being faceteous? They change their unis practically every year and had some of the worst ones of the 90s. <_<

I'm pretty sure this set takes the cake.

19940227Georgia.jpg

Is that Zubaz?

For a school with so much basketball tradition, Kentucky seems to change basketball uniforms more often than some in here change underwear.

Kentucky pretty much changed uniforms every year in the Pitino era; sometimes they changed mid-season as well. The "Zebra" (or Umbro - but I think they were made by Apex-1 like the "Icecicle" uniforms of 1994/95) came in for the SEC season. Converse did the uniforms for 1995/96 and 1996/97 - the denims came in mid-season in '96 and were worn the rest of the year through the championship.

Nike took over for both basketball and football in 1997/98, and the style hasn't changed much since then - depending on how picky you want to get they either had 7 or 8 seasons in essentially the same uniforms. The basic style with the alpha and numeric font, the stripes on the side of the uniform and the trim around the bottom of the shorts hasn't changed since introduction.

The 1997/98 uniforms had some one-season features: a tight-fitting jersey with narrow shoulders, small round collar and narrow white/blue trim that looked like throwbacks to the Rupp era. The "UK" on the shorts was silver with a blue outline on the home whites and silver with a white outline on the road blues.

Starting in 1998/99 the jerseys were looser, with a larger v-shaped collar. At that time the "UK" on the shorts was changed to match the letters and numbers on the jersey - blue with silver outline on the home whites and white with silver outline on the road blues. The only other changes since 1998/99 have been the addtion of a school logo at the bottom of the collar. Originally that was just a "UK" but sometime during the run it changed to the current "seal" or "medallion" look. However, the basic style elements haven't changed since 1997 - until now.

Kentucky did also wear that one-time silver uniform for a game against Michigan State a few years ago, but that was a one-shot and has never been worn since.

Anyone know if St. John's is changing uniforms? I like the current set with the emphasis on red and white. The only change I would like to be seen is that they get rid of the wide muscle shirt cut and go with a normal tank top/bball jersey cut.

If any of you would like to play around with that uniform design go to niketeam.com, select men's basketball, then go to the "custom uniform builder" and you can make the uniform yourself. It's called "WILDCAT" and is located at the bottom of the page. I've been going to that site since early spring and this design has been there, so it's not that surprising they would use it, given its nickname. Go try it. Have fun! :D

Kentucky did also wear that one-time silver uniform for a game against Michigan State a few years ago, but that was a one-shot and has never been worn since.

I'm a big UK fan and I must have missed that game.

Any pics of these silver jerseys?

of course i was... these were the nastiest to me. looks like the type of jerseys they issue out for youth basketball leagues

kent331.jpg

The denim unis! I haven't seen those in forever.

wait, are you serious, those are made of denim!?

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

of course i was... these were the nastiest to me. looks like the type of jerseys they issue out for youth basketball leagues

kent331.jpg

The denim unis! I haven't seen those in forever.

wait, are you serious, those are made of denim!?

Yeah. And they won a title in 'em.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm a big UK fan and I must have missed that game.

Any pics of these silver jerseys?

they were more grey than silver and it was during the 100 yr. anniversary season. They sold replicas for awhile and they may still be found. My roomate has the grey(silver) replica and its pretty sweet. I believe it was based on an older jersey. They had Chapman jerseys in grey for awhile too with sewn on letters and numbers.

I remember seeing those jerseys for sale, but I just figured they were knockoffs and not used in a game.

I am not doubting that they were used, but it is just such a departure from what UK has worn.

The denim is a "denim print" and not like blue jean material. Is it?

yes, the denim was print only and in my opinion were the worst in their history.

the silver ones didn't look that bad and didn't seem to much of a departure. they wore them at home instead of the whites and they are kinda similar except they lack the side stripes.

I remember seeing those jerseys for sale, but I just figured they were knockoffs and not used in a game.

I am not doubting that they were used, but it is just such a departure from what UK has worn.

The denim is a "denim print" and not like blue jean material. Is it?

Yes and no - the white uniforms were standard mesh but the side stripe and letters were real denim but were a very lightweight guage. The blue uniforms were sublimated mesh in a denim blue color. The shoes also had real denim on them; I remember them being quite heavy.

I also remember the call in show people complaining that these "weren't Kentucky blue" - until they won the championship in them.

New and improved Women's Unis too

wbb_082305_team_players_goofy3.jpg

So many jokes to choose from...so...many...jokes...okay, just two.

1. Glad they have a new and improved look for the jerseys. Now if they could only get a new and improved look for the women. I'm pretty sure #32 is Jamaal Magliore.

2. This picture is exhibit one why women's sports will NEVER, EVER, EVER be taken seriously. If it wasn't for the uniforms, I'd think this was a frickin' sorority, and an ugly one at that. You think after this picture, they all went and had a pillow fight and ate Chunky Monkey ice cream? Or maybe they went and made a pretty sign and put it on the men's basketball dorms. Then again, maybe they just lesbo'd out in the middle of the Rupp Arena court, like 13 Melissa Ethridges or Rosie O'Donnells or Janet Renos or Ryan Seacrests! All I know is, any other team that plays them cannot POSSIBLY be th least bit intimidated after seeing this picture.

(Over the top? I can never tell...)

Archived