NFL Helmet Hats

griffelh

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, so I went here to see as many of the helmet hat styles as possible.

Why only 27 NFL teams available? Missing in helmet-hat goodness were:

Dallas Cowboys (probably that whole marketing deal that Dallas chooses to opt out of)

Cleveland Browns (plain orange hat, anyone?)

New Orleans Saints (which makes me wonder how the guy in the post above me ordered a Saints one)

Green Bay Packers (perhaps they prefer you wear a wedge of cheese if you're going to put something yellow on your noggin)

and (most disappointingly) no Philadelphia Eagles!

I really wanted to see the helmet-hat take on the wings, especially after seeing how the Ram horns and the Viking horns and the Bengal tiger-stripe were handled ...

Perhaps they're to follow.

OK, here is the story as I understand it. Other than the 27 hats listed as available, I searched for the others via backdoor URL linking.

It appears that the Cowboys have indeed opted out of this design.

The Browns and Eagles have links, but there is no photo yet and the caps are not yet in stock, but there is a page, so I imagine they will be in soon. Be patient Brown and Eagles fans!

The Saints and Packers have no image yet, thus the link to the page is not active, but the URL can be directly navigated to (http://www.lids.com/pid/20036610) and their page shows that the caps are in stock and can be ordered, so that is how I ordered those two.

And for those of you who do not like Reebok caps, rest easy. I am fairly certain that these are made by Top of the World, which makes the College versions and due to the marketing agreement with the NFL Reebok is just putting their name on them, just like most of the Reebok fitted caps are actually made by American Needle. Reebok has no cap division that I am aware of, they just put their name and logo on other companies' items.

If these things ever take off (which I do not think they will), you'll probably see home/road or alt helmets. Yuck.

Personally, I would only ever get one of these if I were a season ticket holder. They would make sense to wear to games, but that's about it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Hmmmmm. Generally I'm a big fan of embroidered twill caps, but I think when it comes to this style of cap, I prefer the circa 1978 (first time I recall seeing them) sublimated foam versions. The decal and striping schemes were much truer to the actual helmets.

And this also brings up a recollection of Rule #1 regarding the ownership of these hats -- they were to be worn only at games or watch parties. Wearing these caps outside of a game context, not unlike the plastic replica batting helmets of the same era, was considered a major social faux pas, at least among the junior high set.

And this also brings up a recollection of Rule #1 regarding the ownership of these hats -- they were to be worn only at games or watch parties. Wearing these caps outside of a game context, not unlike the plastic replica batting helmets of the same era, was considered a major social faux pas, at least among the junior high set.

Agreed. You just can't walk around with one of these things on your head (away from the stadium) and truly think it's a badass hat.

Whatever happened to inflatable helmets?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Seahawk on the Seattle cap needs to be larger. It is far too small to accurately represent the logo on Seattle's helmets.

True. Several of the caps have logos that are too small. Seattle, Tampa Bay, Arizona particularly.

Sweet lids.  No Browns????

and no Vols,I mean WTF they have a Kentucky cap but no Vols.Again WTF

Vols are too popular, they sold out for now. Here is the link to the page: http://www.lids.com/pid/20024186

1_640.jpg

Good news on the Browns. Any word on the Buckeyes???

No Ohio State??? Come on, biggest university on the country, over 1,000,000 living alumni, etcf.....

Good news on the Browns. Any word on the Buckeyes???

No Ohio State??? Come on, biggest university on the country, over 1,000,000 living alumni, etcf.....

Ohio State also sold out at lids, but can be obtained here:http://www.hangonsloopy.com/teamshop/ProductDisplay.aspx?CategoryId=5&ProductId=195

344.jpg

Just consider me your full service Helmet Hat information source!

The should've made the bill of the cap the same colour as the facemask

I most definitely agree with that!

The first time around, they did. I had a Redskins one -- burgundy grown, yellow bill.

I have 2 of the old ones that I got on eBay about 2 years ago. The material decays and the general shape of the hat looks funny on ones head. These are much better looking and fitting, albeit a little less helmet like.

The should've made the bill of the cap the same colour as the facemask

You're right. And because they don't, some of these hats look downright stupid. The Cardinals and Buccaneers, for example, just look like boring everyday caps where they decided to stick the logos on the side. Unless you knew that it was supposed to be a helmet hat, you'd hardly be able to tell.

That said, these would be great if you're a season ticket holder. And only for that reason.

Archived