Arizona State

North Carolina State

Michigan State

Indiana State

Delaware State

Oregon State

Washington State

Mississippi State...you get the point.

I think what he meant to say is that they are one of the few state schools that refer to themselves as simply Indiana University. And yes Ohio University is another. I would guess that the reason for that is that they can't have two Indiana or Ohio States.

Actually, you missed the point...he wasn't referring to the "State" universities, i.e. Florida STATE, Michigan STATE, Penn STATE. He was referring to the University of said state, i.e. University of Florida, University of Michigan, University of Pennslyvania.

I don't know what one would classify Rutgers (State University of New Jersey) or Virginia Tech (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University). However, since they don't really use their full names, it doesn't really matter.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Alright, If I ruled the college helmet design world: (using the Helmet Project as a reference).

ACC - all keepers except for Maryland, I agree go back to the Black helmet with the red. If they want white helmets, that's fine too, either way the flag with the M is pretty cool.

Big East - Pitt - keep the same colors, but go back to the script.

South Florida - put the green back on the helmet, the logo seems like a miami ripoff, but if that's what they want, so be it.

Big 10(11) - The only one I really don't like is Illinois. I think they either need to go with the block I or go to a blank orange helmet.

Big 12 - All these are pretty good, I'm not crazy about the Iowa St. helmet, but its ok and I can't think of what else they could put on there.

CUSA - Memphis - make the M white so its easier to read.

Southern Miss - I agree, use the eagle head logo.

Tulsa (can you tell, I hate when teams just put the name of their university on the helmet) - either put the TU logo, or the hurricane flags.

UCF - I like the one from 1981-1982.

MAC - Central Michigan - Go back to the spear, or come up with something new.

Eastern Michigan - go back to the 1999 version.

Ohio - they need something different, maybe the state outline would be cool.

Toledo - i would like them to drop the Toledo text and place the rocket over their UT logo.

MWC - Wyoming - i would like to see them switch to a gold helmet.

Pac 10 - Oregon St. - I like the one from 1983-1984

UCLA - I like the Bear head in the circle with UCLA written underneath, like the one on this page http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/college...edules/ucla.htm.

SEC - Florida - I like the 1944-1945 helmet.

Ole Miss - they have an M with stars inside it that they use on some merchandise that I think would look pretty sharp.

SunBelt - La.-Lafeyette - go back to the old Fleur-de-lis logo from 1997.

La.-Monroe - take the one from 1997, and drop the U and the M

North Texas - white helmet, new diving eagle logo.

WAC - Boise State, maybe put BSU underneath the logo instead of the full name of the university.

Idaho - They have a block I that looks pretty good.

New Mexico State - It'd be cool if they put the Zia Sun from the state flag on the helmet.

Big Ten keepers

Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State (even though I'd like the Nittany Lions logo in there, but tradition is tradition), Wisconsin

Michigan is another helmet I would change up. I'd ditch the crazy stripe thing they have going on (i'm sure Michigan Dave could tell us what they call that), and go with a navy helmet with a big yellow M with a white outline on it and a single yellow stripe going down the middle.

If you did that, you'd be strung up by 111,000 fans! The winged helmet is the most recognizable helmet in football.

Dave don't forget me as well. Just thinking about changing it is sacrilige

Bo mentioned at his initial press conference back in 1969 changing the helmet. He was almost run out of town, he says.

i've heard that story from my mom, and she said that if he did that he wouldn't survive another minute in ann arbor

Don't mess with tradition?!?

Other than Smith, the rest of those guys were terrible NFL busts!! Nice tradition!!

If I could make a couple of changes, it would be:

North Texas: I hate the helmets cus they could have done a hell of a lot better. to boot, I hate the new logos cus I was partial to the old logos. I'd put the old eagle back on the helmet and change from black facemasks to green

Illinois: screw the PC police. I say put the Chief on the helmet! B)

Vandy: black with one of the V/commodore logos

South Carolina: just the gamecock by itself on a white helmet with black facemask

Rutgers: knight helmet logo on red or white helmet

Temple: needs more owl, either the flying owl by itself or the owl head

to answer BuddyLane's question, UW wore throwbacks from the early 60s, when the Badgers almost came back on USC in the Rose Bowl

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Why does UB get no love? The blue helmet with the silver and white horns is one of the best looking in the MAC, IMHO...

I think that UB doesn't get any love because their logo isn't that great. I think the logo truly needs overhauled. If you look at the logos of the Minnesota Purple Rage(IFL) or the USF Bulls, the UB logo isn't very impressive and the helmet is rather drab and lacking a true blue fan base. I do think that if they make it to a good bowl game and win, they will get more love.

Bengalssuck.jpg

Why does UB get no love? The blue helmet with the silver and white horns is one of the best looking in the MAC, IMHO...

Because that helmet is crappy and most people outside of New York have never heard of the university unfortunately.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Buffalo.gif

Wow, this is the first time I realized that it was supposed to be a horn. I thought it was some weird wave, hammer, or something. That definitely needs to be reworked. I like the look of horns or wings on helmets, but they need to be easily recognizable.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Why does UB get no love?  The blue helmet with the silver and white horns is one of the best looking in the MAC, IMHO...

Buffalo.gif

Wow, this is the first time I realized that it was supposed to be a horn. I thought it was some weird wave, hammer, or something. That definitely needs to be reworked. I like the look of horns or wings on helmets, but they need to be easily recognizable.

It seems readily apparent to me, but I guess I can see how it can be misunderstood. I just think it's refreshing that it isn't just the logo like it was back when Cirbus coached the team and they were just Penn State clones with royal instead of navy blue.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Agree: Pitt needs to go back to the script "Pitt" on the helmet, the block letter ones suck. Syracuse definately needs to go back to the orange helmet with stripes and no numbers, I would put those helmets in my top 5, but now theyre just awkward.

Disagree: Changing BC, Alabama or Nebraska's helmets would, infact, be sacriliege. You seem to like logos a lot, I've never been a fan of them, I like lettering much better, logos sometimes look really bush league, but lettering is usually sharp.

Disagree: Changing BC, Alabama or Nebraska's helmets would, infact, be sacriliege. You seem to like logos a lot, I've never been a fan of them, I like lettering much better, logos sometimes look really bush league, but lettering is usually sharp.

I agree wholeheartedly. Logos = bad. Letters = good. There are a few exceptions (Texas, Michigan, LSU), but they are few and far between.

Big Ten keepers

Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State (even though I'd like the Nittany Lions logo in there, but tradition is tradition), Wisconsin

Michigan is another helmet I would change up. I'd ditch the crazy stripe thing they have going on (i'm sure Michigan Dave could tell us what they call that), and go with a navy helmet with a big yellow M with a white outline on it and a single yellow stripe going down the middle.

If you did that, you'd be strung up by 111,000 fans! The winged helmet is the most recognizable helmet in football.

Dave don't forget me as well. Just thinking about changing it is sacrilige

Bo mentioned at his initial press conference back in 1969 changing the helmet. He was almost run out of town, he says.

i've heard that story from my mom, and she said that if he did that he wouldn't survive another minute in ann arbor

Don't mess with tradition?!?

Other than Smith, the rest of those guys were terrible NFL busts!! Nice tradition!!

and this is why it's called COLLLEGE FOOTBALL, not the NFL, oh well so what if there were some busts there, in College Football it's about tradition. Michigan has tradition at least

personally I'm a fan of logoless helmets at the college level. Like Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Navy, Army, Alabama and Michigan I guess you could call logoless. I just think a helmet with nothing on it is sweet.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

personally I'm a fan of logoless helmets at the college level. Like Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Navy, Army, Alabama and Michigan I guess you could call logoless. I just think a helmet with nothing on it is sweet.

I'm a huge fan of helmets with the players' numbers, i.e. Alabama.

The retro Texas helmets this year are UBER SWEET!

I do like that University of Buffalo helmet. It's just not my choice as No. 1 in the MAC. It's a good-looking helmet, though.

Now, on another point, it's been said that college helmets look better without logos.

Balderdash.

Most of the best-looking helmets in college have logos.

Archived