What it's like to be the ROAD fan

rainmaker17

Just found out that I'll be going to the Villanova vs. Texas game in Austin Tx. in January. I'm curious to see how Villanova fans are treated there, although from what I've heard, it is a great college atmosphere and everything should be cool.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBTV-

I assume you're talking about basketball. I haven't been to a game in about seven years, but from what I hear a lot has changed. For one the Erwin Center (locals call it the 'drum') has undergone a significant renovation. It used to be an aging dump with piss poor concessions, but apparently they put some money into cleaning it up and it's really nice.

The most significant change is people seem to care about the program now. In a city (and state) where football is king, basketball has been overlooked for years. Ever since Rick Barnes became the coach, people seem to support the team and actually show up for games. Being good doesn't hurt. In the last seven years the Horns have been to six NCAA tournaments, with three sweet sixteen appearances, and a final four beth a few years ago. Apparently we're loaded for this year too.

It seems to me if Texas is playing a conference rival or a big-name basketball program (like UNC or Duke) the fans pack the place, if they are playing a no name or a sister of the poor the, drum might be half full. I have no idea what they'll draw for Villanova.

I think you'll have a good time and enjoy Austin. There might be the typical drunken student section you'll find in most college arenas, but I haven't heard anything about them going overboard.

Hook 'Em !

newsig.jpg

BBTV-

I assume you're talking about basketball.  I haven't been to a game in about seven years, but from what I hear a lot has changed.  For one the Erwin Center (locals call it the 'drum') has undergone a significant renovation.  It used to be an aging dump with piss poor concessions, but apparently they put some money into cleaning it up and it's really nice.

The most significant change is people seem to care about the program now.  In a city (and state) where football is king, basketball has been overlooked for years.  Ever since Rick Barnes became the coach, people seem to support the team and actually show up for games.  Being good doesn't hurt.  In the last seven years the Horns have been to six NCAA tournaments, with three sweet sixteen appearances, and a final four beth a few years ago.  Apparently we're loaded for this year too. 

It seems to me if Texas is playing a conference rival or a big-name basketball program (like UNC or Duke) the fans pack the place, if they are playing a no name or a sister of the poor the, drum might be half full.  I have no idea what they'll draw for Villanova.

I think you'll have a good time and enjoy Austin.  There might be the typical drunken student section you'll find in most college arenas, but I haven't heard anything about them going overboard.

Hook 'Em !

Well both teams should be ranked in the top 4 this season, so it should be a big game. I'll be in the Villanova student section, not sure how many will make the trip though.

I honestly don't care too much about the game, but some of my friends are big 'Nova fans and wanted to take the trip. I'm pretty much going to a) get out of the northeast in January, and B.) I heard U.T. is an awesome college town so it should be a fun experience. I'm 27 (about to be 28) but I should still be able to blend in at college parties (I hope.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

SKYDOME: Orioles vs. Blue Jays in the late 1990s... not very crowded, but I did get into a yelling match with a person in another section. (Mainly a "can you top this" in how loud we could yell "Go (insert team we were rooting for here)!".

TROPICANA FIELD: Never seen the Orioles play there, but judging by the fact that the time I was there the crowd was 80% Red Sox Nation, 15% People-who-want-to-tell-their-buddies-they-saw-Pedro-Martinez (I was in that group) and 5% actual Devil Rays fans, I can infer that even if I had gone in there for a D-rays vs. O's game wearing full Orioles regalia I wouldn't have gotten any problems.

DUNN TIRE PARK (Buffalo Bisons): Went in Rochester Red Wings apparel, no major problems beyond some taunting from the Buffalo Bisons' mascot.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE BEING THE ROAD TEAMS FAN...for years now i've been going to Buffalo for Bills Jets games, and i love mixin' it up. Wanna see some real fun? gimme some tickets in the blue seats at Madison Square Garden for Isles Rangers...hahaha!! Hell, I went to Montreal for World Cup of Hockey last year, i got my mug on TSN and Rogers Sportsnet..lol..but its all in good fun..root for your team, be ready for a zinger here and there, and have your zingers ready for the return lob. above all have fun!

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

Well, it only took until 9:54 remaining in the first quarter for me to witness at least two 'fans' being dragged (literally dragged) down from the top row in the 200 level to the concourse, then 'removed' from the game. Of course, both were wearing Eagles shirts. I'm not sure if they were fighting each other, or a 49er fan, or what the deal was. (side-note: the cleaning crew was immediately dispatched to that area. Not sure if there was blood, vomit, urine, or anything else going on up there.)

Later on, I saw a gang around some guy in a Montana jersey, The security team got the gang away, and I think forcably removed a couple from the park. Then the Montana guy freaked out and got snatched up and thrown out.

*yawns*

Just another day at the ball park.

Wanna see some real fun? gimme some tickets in the blue seats at Madison Square Garden for Isles Rangers...hahaha!!

so ya enjoy seeing losses? :P:lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

blue jays fans are maniacs. Some guy wanted to fight me I think. Jesus. I'm 15 and about 5'3" Wait...and there was this one usher...oh i cant remember his name but i think he has something to do with this site.

I haven't worked there for over a year, so if you were there recently it wasn't me.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

blue jays fans are maniacs. Some guy wanted to fight me I think. Jesus. I'm 15 and about 5'3" Wait...and there was this one usher...oh i cant remember his name but i think he has something to do with this site.

I haven't worked there for over a year, so if you were there recently it wasn't me.

Show's how I pay attention around here anymore. What happened to the gig, Chris?

nav-logo.png

I was up there in August for a week (First time in Toronto, loved it, will be back, by the way) and there's some old guy who sells beer up there that sounds like a pirate. Did he work there when you were at SkyDome?

He yells real deliberately "ICE............COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD....BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!"

Anyway the Jays fans we were around were very cool. They seemed really passionate about their baseball (the exact opposite of Montreal), even though the team is still probably a couple of years away from contending. Very knowledgeable fans as well. Good times.

mainescarf.png

The only time I have been a "road fan" was when the Mariners came to Arlington. I went several times over the past 5 years, for the most part unevenful nothing. I think only once was I really heckled by some drunk guy, he kept talking stuff, we ignored him, my dad and I went to get some food, he started talking crap again unitl we actually stood up, then he stopped, I dont know why. Oh, yeah my dad is 6'4" and I am 6'5" and the guy was drunk and 5ft nothing.

As for rainmaker17, the t.u. errr umm UT fan, visiting Kyle Field, are you nuts, I lived in College Station for a year and didnt go to games because those Ag's are nuts. Something about standing for 3hrs+, as well as all the whooping, the pulling out, the humping and yells, didnt sound like fun at all. Just curious, did you go anywhere after the game (i.e. Northgate)?

the 2%er

dmr

Good insight dmr.

In reality I think the Dixie Chicken sucks, and Dudley's isn't much better. My best friend is a fellow 2%'er. What we used to do is go to the games, let the Townies throw crap at me, then go to some apartment party. Usually good times. Nice pointing out the Gig's 'unique' fan base, I could write five pages about the whole 'ARMY'. 'SSSSSS', 'WHOOP!' brainwashing that goes on in College Station. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Hope you don't have friends/family in the gulf...seriously.

-Dave

newsig.jpg

only time I really been the road fan, it was at my home stadium. i've been a road player, but the only time I was a road fan, two of my team's conference rivals were playing each other in the second round of the state playoffs. one was local rival Horlick, and the other is noted state power/chokers Oak Creek. usually, around here the home fans sit behind the home team, and vice versa around here...and basically, I decided to sit on the sideline of the team I hated more and heckled em for the better part of the first half :D

incredibly, that school's principal threatened to kick me out...for what? I wasn't swearing, and I was basically sticking to the "you suck, you can't play" disses. as I found, heckling around here's sort of frowned upon, so I found one of my team's coaches, who was working security, and hung around him til I got bored of the rout.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 1 year later...

well.......just got back from my road trip from the ATL so I thought I'd add it to this topic.

ATLANTA FALCONS-

Very fun, very LOUD enviornment. There were a ton of Cowboys fans, which I'm used to when I hit the road venues (and not automatically happy with that). I've heard the that locals hate the Georgia Dome and I can't see why. The sightlines are great. The first inner concourse that incorporates a field view. Very cool. It beats the living hell out of Texas Stadium.

TFOA- I thought your Dad stole your ticket...otherwise I would have said hello.

newsig.jpg

I live near Pitts and support the Pirates and Pens. They really don't have anyone close to travel to and they aren't good enough to warrant a road trip. I like Miami in college and they are NEVER up here now that they went ACC. I like the Bucs in football. Up to this point, I've seen them once in preseason in Cleveland and once in preseason (orange unis/three rivers stadium) in Pitts. I got to go to this recent Steeler game. Some people were yelling at me "Bucs suck" etc. That's all fine. In the toilet, some guy (no kidding) in a mullet and Woodson jersey got with his buddy who had a mullet and a Lloyd jersey asked me what it's like to be a loser. I said I don't know because I work and my hair and jersey isn't 15 years behind the time. He just stared at me like what is this kid talking about. Then (I had front row tix because my gfs fam has season tix) after the game the crowd bum rushed the front to get autographs. Some chick kicked over my nachos and drink and stepped on my feet. I said chill out and she told me she could do whatever the hell she wanted to so I told her to F off and she said the same so I just told her that I have no problem hitting her and her boyfriend in the mouth (I know I shouldn't have said that). But I can't believe how rude people can be. Now I'm off to an armpit (of Cleveland) this week to see the Bucs. Who knows what'll happen? I don't see the big deal about a team not in your division and both teams not doing well. I don't mind a little jawing in fun, but c'mon, there's a-holes in every city and it's unneeded. It ruins an experience for everyone. What's the point of beating up the away fans?

KISSwall09.jpg

I've been the road fan several times. It raises the stakes. If you win on the road, it's a great feeling. If you lose on the road, it can get ugly!

For University of Tennessee football I've been to Vanderbilt (as someone said, it's more like a home game for the Vols). Also been to South Carolina, Kentucky and Florida. Have been treated very well everywhere except Florida.

I have been a visiting fan in Cincinnati a few times for Oilers/Titans games. Cincinnati is a great town and their fans, with few exceptions, were very nice.

I have season tickets in the nosebleeds for the Titans games. If other teams travel well I usually end up sitting with a lot of opposing fans. It's very hit or miss. Some come in very well mannered, others are just jerks. I had a lot of fun with Colts fans a few weeks ago. They were pretty big headed until Bironas nailed the 60 yarder. Same with Giants fans. It was fun to watch the shock on their faces as we erased their 21 point lead in one quarter.

So anyway, if an away fan comes into my section talking smack, I'll reciprocate and have a good time doing it. I've never been involved in anything physical and never had the feeling anything was escalating to that point, just good smack talking fun.

As noted by a previous poster, my experiences may not be typical as I'm 6'2" and well over 200 lbs. Maybe that discourages some of the a-hole types. Anyway, I've seen the Saints at:

Lambeau Field - Just awesome. Saw the Saints there in the 2004 preseason. It was sold out and the tailgaters started about 10am for a 7pm kickoff. I had on a Deuce McAllister road white jersey and Saints ballcap, which is my standard game-day gear. More than one person invited me over for food or drink and there was a lot of ribbing, but again, all good-natured. My seat was on row 6 near the goal line and there wasn't another Saints fan in sight though I did see a few while walking around. The Saints scored and when I cheered, the young lady next to me clubbed me over the head with her cheesehead. We all had a good laugh over that. Go to my blog and scroll down to "Saints-Packers at Lambeau" to see pics. The woman in the last pic, holding up the "I came from Yukota AFB..." sign, is the one who nailed me with the cheesehead.

Georgia Dome - Despite the rivalry, any ragging on my 3 or 4 visits has always been good-natured and I've never felt threatened or insulted.

LP Field - Saw the Saints and Titans this preseason and again, no problem. In fact, there was little reaction at all.

I was surprised to see posts about poor fan behavior in New Orleans. I've seen it a time or two but for the most part it's in fun and not anything really nasty, certainly no worse than I've gotten at "enemy" venues.

Go here to see an album of pics from the Saints' return to the Superdome on MNF.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Been to about 3 Saints games wearing a Falcons jersey, and there's nothin but good people. Might be Saints fans, but good peoples nonetheless. Nothin but hospitality, kickin it with them before the game, good natured trash-talking during the game, and bragging/gloating/moaping afterwards. All in all, the people in New Orleans were great.

If you don't count going to the Hawks games wearing teal, purple, and gold, then I've been to no away games for the NBA, MLB, or NHL.

Archived