Texas Longhorns Concept

Audiodrama

Since I've done all professional-team concepts since I joined here back in April, I'm starting an NCAA series. I'm not sure how long this'll carry on, probably at least 5-10 teams over the next few weeks.

Here's my first concept, the Longhorns from the University of Texas. C&C welcome as always.

ncaa_texas.gif

First, the orange you used is way too bright. Texas uses more of a burnt orange, like this:

orange32jersey_472_thumb.jpg

Second, I don't like the black at all. Texas is perfect with simply burnt orange and white.

VmWIn6B.png

Unwind, love the work as always, but there's just one tiny thing that's preventing this concept from getting a :notworthy:

I have to agree with a lot of the others here...the orange is a bit too bright for Texas...it'd work for the other UT out there (Tennessee), but not for the 'Horns.

Other than that, they're pretty durned nice...maybe just try it with the burnt orange instead..

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

It's a great concept...and it's a (key word) CONCEPT, meaning he can use whatever colors and logos and blah, blah, blah, he wants. If it were a green and red christmas tree motif, it's Unwind's prerogative as the "concepter." And I'm sure it would be great! :D

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It's a great concept...and it's a (key word) CONCEPT, meaning he can use whatever colors and logos and blah, blah, blah, he wants.  If it were a green and red christmas tree motif, it's Unwind's prerogative as the "concepter."  And I'm sure it would be great! :D

And he asked for C&C, which means we can say that it is not the burnt orange color that Texas is known for around the world. Instead, it is the brighter "Volunteers" Orange that the University of Tennessee is known around the world for wearing. And the concept looks as such - it looks like a Tennessee concept with Texas's Longhorn logo on the helmets (the Tennessee helmet stripe even makes an appearance!). Clearly, I wasn't the only one to think this, nor was I the first. But it was my first thought, even down to the black outline around the numbers on the white jersey. Had he done something completely against the grain - like green and red with Christmas trees, as you suggest - it would have looked sufficiently different that it wouldn't bother some people. But this orange is identified as unique to another college football power, and the school the concept was intended for wears orange, albeit a different - and equally unique - shade of orange. It looks like not enough attention was paid to what color belongs in the color scheme, and it detracts from the concept as a whole if labeled as a "Texas concept".

It's not entirely proper to say he can use whatever colors he wants. Schools have colors that have been firmly entrenched in the lore and history of the school. People get physical for referring to a school's colors by the wrong name. No Texan worth his degree would imagine his team in anything other than burnt orange. Same for any Vols alums or fans. If you're going to do a concept of a school - especially when the colors are so deeply connected to the program - you more or less need to stick to the palette you are provided, or people will react as many of us have here. Why else would fight songs romanticize them so much?

When those fashion hats came out a few years ago, and they made UNC hats in royal blue (Duke), orange (UVa, Clemson) and red (NC State, Maryland), it looked stupid and incorrect. Seeing your school's logo in someone else's colors is just not justifiable, not for dollars, not for fashion, not ever. Like seeing your girlfriend with another dude. THAT wrong.

That said, I withhold my full opinions on this concept, pending burnt orange to allow for an objective evaluation of a TEXAS concept.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Can you do a Cincinnati Bearcats one?

One thats not a $35,000 italicization of a c paw. I still wont let that one go.

It's always been italicized. The only difference now is that it actually looks good, being a little thicker and better executed.

CincinnatiBearcats6.GIFCincinnatiBearcats05.GIF

The angle of italicization is a little greater, and the box is now italicized, but you can clearly see that it was italicized before it was redesigned.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Since I've done all professional-team concepts since I joined here back in April, I'm starting an NCAA series. I'm not sure how long this'll carry on, probably at least 5-10 teams over the next few weeks.

Here's my first concept, the Longhorns from the University of Texas. C&C welcome as always.

ncaa_texas.gif

The orange on these is too bright. Otherwise, these look nice. They kind of remind me of the Texas baseball team's unis.

Archived