glorious sleeves!

slats7

Evolution is good.

People aren't petitioning Volkswagon to bring back the 1984 Jetta. Why? Because the current one is sleeker, more functional, and perform better.

I wouldn't think that a guy named "BringBackTheVet" would be preaching about evolution, function and performance.

:D

Those are truly beautiful sleeves.

NFL makes different sleeve lengths for interior lineman than for skill players like QB's and WR's. Reebok should make authentic retail jerseys with the long sleeve only so fans get their monies worth which I think they already do.

Next thing you know the NFL will outlaw stick'em.

Lester Hayes

Aside from the fact that Bradshaw looks like he's not even wearing shoulder pads, jerseys are built differently today, no? UCLA stripes cover maybe half the shoulder due to all the paneling going on with the average jersey. Aesthetically, solid sleeves would appear to be the way to go or you get caught in what's being discussed here.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Evolution is good.

People aren't petitioning Volkswagon to bring back the 1984 Jetta. Why? Because the current one is sleeker, more functional, and perform better.

I wouldn't think that a guy named "BringBackTheVet" would be preaching about evolution, function and performance.

:D

Touche :D

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Unfair advantage? Unless there is a rule stating that sleeves need to be a certain length, and one team complies while the other doesn't, ten it isn't unfair at all. It would be unfair to make the players be uncomfortable just for the sake of a couple of stripes.

Back in the day, football uniforms used to be long sleeved (almost down to the wrist.) They evolved to the 70's style sleeve. They've since evolved. Evolution is good.

Yes, there should be a rule mandating a certain sleeve length, just like there are rules for socks and other stuff. I'm sure many pros would like to adopt a no-socks college look in the interests of speed, but the league sensibly said "no." There are a lot of ways to cut corners in order to affect performance, but that doesn't mean you should. A football uniform is only supposed to protect you, not aid you in any way. Understand?

In your own words, a uniform should protect. Not aid. Or (like in the case of long sleeves) hinder.

Understand?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You make an excellent point. Today's Jetta is better.

Today's jerseys on the other hand are not. More functional perhaps but not aesthetically better .

BB52Big.jpg

not aesthetically better .

I guess that just comes down to a difference of opinion. I happen to think that the modern uniform is better looking then the older style.

I've always felt that performance should dictate fashion, not the other way around.

I'll admit that some of the linemen are pushing the limits of what even I deem acceptable, but for the most part, today's cut works for me.

Then again I also think that there is nothing wrong with adding a little bit of black to uniforms to modern them up a bit. I got to see the 49ers red jerseys up close today working at the Eagles game, and they are really sweet (except for the sleeve stripe thing.) If they could figure out something better than three thin stripes with the logo in the middle, they'd have an awesome uniform.

Form follows Function.

Exactly. You build the uniform based on how it's supposed to perform, then you design it (aethetically) based on its structure.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I like the sleeves because simply because they allow for greater diversity with regard to uniform design.

I also played in sleeves and without them and I can tell you that they aren't going to be the difference in beating your opponent or not. When I played DE & fullback, I used two-sided tape to plaster my jersey to my shoulder pads so no one could grab it. Our sleves were tapered and banded anyway.

Does anyone remember when players used to cut their jerseys off midway at the torso? This was very popular in the SEC in the 1970s.

I like the sleeves, the gray (Dungard) facemask, the whole old school look.

FsQiF2W.png

Form follows Function.

Exactly. You build the uniform based on how it's supposed to perform, then you design it (aethetically) based on its structure.

Maybe I didn't word it well, but that's what I was trying to say. That formula would yeild the cuts and fabrics used in modern uni's.

Archived