glorious sleeves!

slats7

Watch posting pics like that. People will think that gray facemasks are OK and maybe the Steelers should go back to them :P

I remember when all the teams sported stuff like that (Jets, Steelers, Colts, etc). I think it's safe to say, we'll never, ever see that again. It's teams like the Steelers or Packers that actually keep somewhat of elaborate sleeve striping alive.

KISSwall09.jpg

O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

Get over it. You can't live in the past. Just get used to short sleeves.

It is just like the disappearing socks with the pants pulled all the way down and over the shoes in baseball...It is hideous and ruins the look, style, tradition and culture of the respective sports.

O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

It is just like the disappearing socks with the pants pulled all the way down and over the shoes in baseball...It is hideous and ruins the look, style, tradition and culture of the respective sports.

In baseball, it's all about the current style. In football, it affects the game with the holding and stuff.

KISSwall09.jpg

O MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!

In baseball, it's all about the current style. In football, it affects the game with the holding and stuff.

The reduced sleeve size is an improvement for the way the game is played. Maybe football jersies will become more like vests with logos on a tight fitting undershirt sleeve.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The notion that real sleeves will impede progress or play is ridiculous. Sleeves weigh a couple of ounces at most, thus they cannot conceivably restrict the movements of strong athletic men. Everyone wearing the exact same sleeves will be at the exact same "disadvantage"--assuming there is one.

"But the ball carrier and QB's will be tackled by their sleeves!"

Yeah, right. I've watched tons of NFL Films footage and have rarely seen this. If you're so concerned, then make it a penalty like the horse-collar. That'll take care of it.

Give me sleeves or give me death!

I'm sure there were people in the 70's complaining that players no longer used those leather helmets, yet you would likely think they were crazy.

Progress is made in most cases for the better. I find there is no point in complaining about the present unless the present is hindering your ability to get decent fitting merchandise OR if you honestly feel the current look or identity (i.e. logos and stripings) are not to your liking.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I'm sure there were people in the 70's complaining that players no longer used those leather helmets, yet you would likely think they were crazy.

Progress is made in most cases for the better. I find there is no point in complaining about the present unless the present is hindering your ability to get decent fitting merchandise OR if you honestly feel the current look or identity (i.e. logos and stripings) are not to your liking.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

The leather helmet complaints would have been made at least 15 years earlier.

My only hting is--pull up the socks--I want to look at guys legs I check out my own... :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The notion that real sleeves will impede progress or play is ridiculous. Sleeves weigh a couple of ounces at most, thus they cannot conceivably restrict the movements of strong athletic men. Everyone wearing the exact same sleeves will be at the exact same "disadvantage"--assuming there is one.

Yeah, right. I've watched tons of NFL Films footage and have rarely seen this. If you're so concerned, then make it a penalty like the horse-collar. That'll take care of it.

Have you ever played offensive or defenseive line?

Once arm pads were gone and a linemen hands and where he could grab ahold of something came into play, that's when sleeves went away. And "Holding" is not holding anymore. The primary goal of an offensive lineman is to grab the pads under the jersey. A tight fitting uniform is essential to a defensive lineman for this reason.

A defensive player can grab any part of the uniform they want and pull down a player. For an offensive lineman, a defender will try to grab your sleeve, yank down, and perform a swim move to get around you. Hense why an offensive linemen does not want sleeves. The few games I had to play in a uniform that had sleeve slike that I rolled them up into my pads to avoid that.

As someone that's played o-line with sleeves and without, give me no sleeves any day.

You gotta change with the times. If the new uniforms help the players play better, then they are giving us a better product to watch, and we should be in favor of that. Teams should update accordingly. It just isn't practical to have Steelers or Lions style sleeve striping anymore. I've thought for the past few years that the Steelers should go to a Jets style uniform, with white-black-yellow UCLA stripes and yellow sleeves. (The outside stripe blends into the sleeve.) It is just more practical for todays uniforms. Cramming striping in there just looks awkward.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Have you ever played offensive or defenseive line?

Once arm pads were gone and a linemen hands and where he could grab ahold of something came into play, that's when sleeves went away. And "Holding" is not holding anymore. The primary goal of an offensive lineman is to grab the pads under the jersey. A tight fitting uniform is essential to a defensive lineman for this reason.

A defensive player can grab any part of the uniform they want and pull down a player. For an offensive lineman, a defender will try to grab your sleeve, yank down, and perform a swim move to get around you. Hense why an offensive linemen does not want sleeves. The few games I had to play in a uniform that had sleeve slike that I rolled them up into my pads to avoid that.

As someone that's played o-line with sleeves and without, give me no sleeves any day.

I'm sorry, but we shoudn't have to radically change unis just to make your life easier. Somehow, teams and players put up championship seasons with real sleeves attached. If you're good, you don't need an unfair advantage like no sleeves.

Unfair advantage? Unless there is a rule stating that sleeves need to be a certain length, and one team complies while the other doesn't, ten it isn't unfair at all. It would be unfair to make the players be uncomfortable just for the sake of a couple of stripes.

Back in the day, football uniforms used to be long sleeved (almost down to the wrist.) They evolved to the 70's style sleeve. They've since evolved. Evolution is good.

People aren't petitioning Volkswagon to bring back the 1984 Jetta. Why? Because the current one is sleeker, more functional, and perform better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Unfair advantage? Unless there is a rule stating that sleeves need to be a certain length, and one team complies while the other doesn't, ten it isn't unfair at all. It would be unfair to make the players be uncomfortable just for the sake of a couple of stripes.

Back in the day, football uniforms used to be long sleeved (almost down to the wrist.) They evolved to the 70's style sleeve. They've since evolved. Evolution is good.

People aren't petitioning Volkswagon to bring back the 1984 Jetta. Why? Because the current one is sleeker, more functional, and perform better.

Yes, there should be a rule mandating a certain sleeve length, just like there are rules for socks and other stuff. I'm sure many pros would like to adopt a no-socks college look in the interests of speed, but the league sensibly said "no." There are a lot of ways to cut corners in order to affect performance, but that doesn't mean you should. A football uniform is only supposed to protect you, not aid you in any way. Understand?

Archived