Form fitting hockey, sooner than you think...

ColeJ

according to ralph and razor, on the stars broadcast tonight, the NHL is developing form fitting jerseys for goaltenders, as we speak.

they haven't worn them in pre-season, or in training camp, but goaltenders will be wearing form-fitting hockey jerseys starting on october 5th.

razor said the stars shipment should arrive saturday.

should be interesting...... sorry if this is old news.

Now will these "form-fitting" goalie jerseys be available to for sale? I just wanna know for simple fact that I'm seriously entertaining the idea of purchasing an Andrew Raycroft B's jersey, and hell, if they're gonna be "form-fitting", I want the latest & greatest jersey available, dammit!

ok, so the jury's still out on whether they'll be great...but you get what I'm saying. B)

This just means we're gonna see more pokey nipples. It gets cold out there on ice. Brrr...

Pokey Nipples? Didn't he retire? I remember when he manned the pipes for the Jets, and all his seasons traveling the IHL.

No, wait, that was Pokey Reddick. Never mind.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Form fitting like the Italian National team's soccer jerseys hehe! Would you want the latest and greatest jersey if it was like a wrestling singlet?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Form fitting jerseys seems like a bit much. I know the NHL is trying to increase scoring, but where is it going to end? Why don't they just put them in NBA jerseys?!Whats next...blindfolds?

Don't you think we should at least see them first before ripping them? It might be wise to put the goaltenders in jerseys that fit to their pads to prevent guys from having an extra yard of material under their armpits. As large as their under jersey pads are, they probably won't look too strange at all.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I don't really like the idea of form-fitting jerseys. It's just that hockey's a sport based on tradition...it just wouldn't be right.

You're exactly right. Hockey is based on tradition. Unfortunatly, the tradition of Terry Sawchuck:

Sawchuckdet_185x250.jpg

and up to the '80's:

fuhr.jpg

was replaced by the tradition of the stay puff marshmallow man in the '90's:

goalie_curtis_joseph.jpg

This form-fitting look will just be a correction of the trend towords free-flowing jerseys. I, personally don't mind it.

Moose

edit - and we wonder why scoring is down, just look at these photos...

Believe it or not, but currently the "new" goalie jerseys that debut on Opening Night are the current practice jersey style. The new goalie jersey is the new stretchy material but it is not the style jersey worn by the rest of the team. It is really just a practice jersey.

Teams are receiving these new goalie jerseys by Friday to get them lettered for the October 5 opener. GM's ok'd this a month ago, however Reebok did not have time or the resources to produce an actual game style jersey with the neew material. My feeling is that as more teams receive their new goalie jerseys, more calls will be made to Colin Campbell in complaint and this will be scrapped until the real game style shirts can be made.

It will be embarrassing if these shirts are worn on Wednesday.

Also, every team will be wearing a special jersey for the first period on Opening Night. It will have a Katrina Fund patch on the chest. These jerseys will then be auctioned off...obviously. Then each team will finish the game with a new jersey without the patch.

so you're saying that the goalies won't be wearing the same DESIGN as the rest of the team?

the dallas stars better start sending out refund checks to all those people who just bought a turco or hedberg jersey. i saw a LOT of them at the cash register since the lockout ended.

i kinda like the idea of the goalie jersey being different than the rest of the team. i admit, im not a huge hocket fan and i do understand tradition, but this could be cool. like soccer keepers, but with more potential. as creative as goalies get with masks, it could be neat. maybe a secondary color, or a primary when teams wear alternates. you folks on this site should love this idea. think of all the concepts...get to work!!!

i kinda like the idea of the goalie jersey being different than the rest of the team. i admit, im not a huge hocket fan and i do understand tradition, but this could be cool. like soccer keepers, but with more potential. as creative as goalies get with masks, it could be neat. maybe a secondary color, or a primary when teams wear alternates. you folks on this site should love this idea. think of all the concepts...get to work!!!

-vomits-

nope... i don't love the idea :)

different colored keep kits make sense in soccer. the difference between a highlighter-yellow arm punching the ball out of bounds, and a regular red or blue arm punching the ball out of bounds is huge. only one of them allowed to put a hand to the ball. if keepers and defenders wore the same shirts, it would be much harder to enforce that rule.

now if you look at marty turco and stephane robidas in uniform, and you have trouble figuring out which one is the goalie... then i'm not sure a new goaltender kit is going to help you.

That is where it stands right now. This is a problem the league is having with CCM/Reebok. The saga will continue for the next couple of days. Stay tuned...

Problems? With Reebok? I am SHOCKED.

Last year AHL teams were having a fit because of the new exclusive equipment contract with Rbk. The sticks were garbage, and players were breaking them about as quickly as Reebok could ship them.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

TSN.ca is reporting all 30 teams have received their new goalie jerseys, and they are in the style of the current form-fitting practice jerseys from Reebok. They're also saying it's a "longshot" that we'll them on opening night.

Personally, I'm all for the new fit, but I don't see the need for goalies to have different jersey designs than other players. One of the goals of the NHL this year is bring new fans in, and having goaltenders in one jersey and players in another would be confusing and potentially a turn-off for said new fans.

TSN.ca is reporting all 30 teams have received their new goalie jerseys, and they are in the style of the current form-fitting practice jerseys from Reebok. They're also saying it's a "longshot" that we'll them on opening night.

Personally, I'm all for the new fit, but I don't see the need for goalies to have different jersey designs than other players. One of the goals of the NHL this year is bring new fans in, and having goaltenders in one jersey and players in another would be confusing and potentially a turn-off for said new fans.

i don't mind the fit, either... i get mad about the fact that the goalies won't be wearing the same uniform.

and of all the sports for hockey to mimic, in order to become more popular in the united states, why in god's name would they choose soccer?!

i love soccer, but good lord... that's just about the only professional sport in north america that americans dislike more than hockey.

Archived