New Georgetown Basketball Shorts

NickSixers

The new Georgetown basketball shorts arrived in an on-campus shop Thursday. Here are the pictures:

front.jpg

Front

side.jpg

Side

detail.jpg

Detail of side

These are the "swingman" shorts. Unfortunately, no authentics have been for sale in my 2+ years here. Maybe if we are very good this year.

Now for my editorial comments:

-I was surprised the kente cloth is still in it, but I like it. When I think back to my youth, when I wasn't exactly a Hoyas fan, just a basketball fan, the kente is one of the things that I think of. Maybe that doesn't please all of us, but whatever.

-I also think that the kente in the real authentic shorts (These are the "swingman" quality, although they are some of the nicest swingman shorts I've seen) may be more prominent, because the design is screen printed on the mesh in these shorts. I can only imagine that the authentics will have a cloth insert in this area.

-I think the grey blocks indicate some grey striping or grey blocks in the jerseys. I think that white will be used as an accent on both the blue and the (hopefully) grey home unis.

-I'm very happy there's no small word on the butt as so many shorts have now.

-Right now without the jerseys, the HOYAS on the side looks out of place. Hopefully it won't when the jerseys arrive.

Don't know if there are any Georgetown fans out here, but just FYI. Will post when the jerseys arrive.

I love Georgetown! I have been a fan of the Hoyas since 1995 (when I was a youngling)!

Is North Carolina on the list here???

NickSixers mentioned UNC first when he listed the Jordan schools.

Where are these shorts available and how much do they run? I really like them. Are they available online anyhwere?

Bucky

keynote has some very good points. I've got to be honest here. Some of the points keynote made about the Hoyas' popularity in the African American community are exactly why many white people did not and still do not like Georgetown. Since I live in basically SU country we automatically list GU as the team we love(d) to hate.

But if a person would bother to look at John Thompson's reasons for having a team of color you understand that Thompson was trying to make sure these youngsters could get a top-flight college education. One can only applaud him for having the courage to pick a course to follow and sticking with it, regardless of the negative reaction from some people.

That having been said, there is one thing that Georgetown started that still bugs me to this day. That is wearing a t-shirt under your basketball jersey. Patrick Ewing started this fad because he said some arenas were "cold," presumably from the hockey ice underneath in places like MSG, the old Baahston Gaahden and the Wizards/Capitals DC arena, and he wanted to ward off illnesses that he could catch.

Because a lot of black youth (and some white ones, too) thought this look was "cool" you saw the trend pop up all over the country. Frankly I think the look is "cheap" and takes away from the game. A lot of youngsters still do it because of "the look." High school and college rule books now address the issue, mandating that the t-shirt be the same color as the game jersey, be tucked in and have no writing or logos and no ragged sleeves.

Ironically Ewing, the fad's creator, never wore a t-shirt in the NBA because of the league's strict sartorial rules. He never complained, but then when you're making a gazillion dollars playing pro ball you have the money to buy lots of NyQuil and Tylenol. :blink:

but I'm glad they've stopped with the light blue uni's since that came out of nowhere (yeah.. let's make up a new school color!)

You didn't watch much college basketball in the '80s, did you? Ewing was one of the many that wore light blue for Georgetown.

Both GU and UNC were light blue-based in that 82 title game. The Hoyas were in their road unis and UNC home. I'm sure Fred Brown thought he was throwing that pass to a teammate when he saw that flash of light blue (Worthy) run by.

I find it somewhat uncoincidental that Georgetown began to wear the navy and grey the very next season.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I've got to be honest here. Some of the points keynote made about the Hoyas' popularity in the African American community are exactly why many white people did not and still do not like Georgetown. Since I live in basically SU country we automatically list GU as the team we love(d) to hate.

See, this is exactly the type of :censored: that pisses me off. Most of you will never understand what it is like.

This one's for you, buddy...I hope it's big enough to get the point across.

middle_finger.jpg

*just in case the image is somehow "missing" it's supposed to be a big middle finger...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

gregjigga5- You took my remarks out of context. If you had bothered to read on you would have seen that I defend John Thompson for his philosophy and applaud him for doing it. The fact that SU and GU are big rivals has no more racial overtones than the Yankees-Red Sox. They're just two very successful programs competing for the same prize- the NCAA championship.

I never used any racial references nor made any disparaging remarks about the Hoyas, yet you give me "the finger." I feel sorry that you are so intolerant and have to resort to a vulgar gesture. I pity you. :cry:

gregjigga5- You took my remarks out of context. If you had bothered to read on you would have seen that I defend John Thompson for his philosophy and applaud him for doing it. The fact that SU and GU are big rivals has no more racial overtones than the Yankees-Red Sox. They're just two very successful programs competing for the same prize- the NCAA championship.

I never used any racial references nor made any disparaging remarks about the Hoyas, yet you give me "the finger." I feel sorry that you are so intolerant and have to resort to a vulgar gesture. I pity you. :cry:

That's funny...you post some bullplop about White people not liking Georgetown because their basketball team was mostly Black, yet I'm the intolerant one...yeah, okay.

My post should have said the finger was for those that feel that way, not necessarily you personally, but spare me the taking things out of context defense. If you feel that way, then the finger's for you. If you don't, then it's not for you.

My problem with what you said has nothing to do with me liking Georgetown University, John Thompson, or the basketball program. I couldn't care less about any of them. Defend John Thompson taking these Black kids and helping them get an education all you want. That's great.

My anger comes from the racist...yes RACIST...view that many White people did not and still do not like Georgetown because of the Hoyas' popularity in the Black community. That and your comment about "black youth" thinking something was cool...Who in the fluff do you think you are?

BTW: I made sure to find a black hand with middle finger raised...I thought it would be a nice touch.

I'm sorry if I don't play nice like most of the rest of the guys here. I know this community has very few Black members. Posts like yours may have just faded away in the past, but I will be damned if I let plop like that slide if I see it. Pity me if you must, it matters very little. I don't give a fluff what you think of me...just realize you need to be more careful when you speak on matters of race.

Oh, and when you group people of a particular race, that's a "racial reference."

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Sartorially speaking, I like this look for G-Town...brings back memories of the Zo/Dikembe/AI days when they were among the powers in the Big East...can't blame JTIII for wanting to harken back to the salad days when his pappy was running roughshod over the league.

On a personal level, I'm nowhere near a G-Town fan...it has nothing to do with race or anything...I could care less about that issue when it comes to this...it had ALL to do with the fact that during the 80s, GTown would usually smack the plop out of UConn.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Even so, Thompson III's decision to resurrect the kente accents is not just a nod to previous uni styles; it's a nod to his father's image and standing in the Black community.

Just to clarify, the kente cloth has been present in the all the uniforms since the prominent placement in the Iverson-era unis. It never went away. It just seems that they made it a more prominent part of these uniforms again.

True; I forgot that they did retain kente piping and/or accents on later uniforms. Still my favorite set from that era were the unis sported by the Iverson-led teams of the early-mid 90s. I loved that wide kente panel down the sides:

allen_iverson_georgetown_hoyas.jpg

iverson_150_college.jpg

Of course, G'town's *worst* decision in recent memory was to deviate from the rugged home greys to generic home whites for a few seasons.

basketball.jpg

Home greys fit perfectly with G'town's tough, defense-first image, and I felt like the team lost the swagger and identity associated with that look when they switched to whites. Frankly, I don't know why we don't see more home greys in college or the pros.

My anger comes from the racist...yes RACIST...view that many White people did not and still do not like Georgetown because of the Hoyas' popularity in the Black community. That and your comment about "black youth" thinking something was cool...Who in the fluff do you think you are?

Well, I think we'd be turning a blind eye to the situation if we didn't notice that race played a significant role *on both sides of the racial line* in G'town's popularity/notoriety. The Hoyas *were* polarizing. They were rough and physical. The coach was a large, unapologetically Black man who was quite surly to boot. These weren't pretty-boy finesse players with Kendall Gill-esque texturized hair-dos wearing baby blue; they were defense-oriented, confrontational, full-court pressing tough guys in grey. Any student of racial dynamics in this country could recognize that there will be a segment of society who will be intimidated or turned off by a team like that. Perhaps they won't all be able to articulate why G'Town rubs 'em wrong; perhaps they can more readily identify with a "clean cut" kid like Chris Mullin. Either way, the result is the same, and the earlier poster shouldn't be criticized for acknowledging the dynamic.

Similarly, you can't ignore the fact that the Bird/Magic rivalry was polarizing along racial lines as well. Or the fact that some people held a vague notion that Duke's team during the late 80s/early 90s was racist, 'cause they kept recruiting good White players or "acceptably bourgie" Black players like Grant Hill. Never mind that the teams led by Ferry, Hurley, L8tner, & Hill were hugely successful--that only made it worse.

Sartorially speaking, I like this look for G-Town...brings back memories of the Zo/Dikembe/AI days when they were among the powers in the Big East...can't blame JTIII for wanting to harken back to the salad days when his pappy was running roughshod over the league.

On a personal level, I'm nowhere near a G-Town fan...it has nothing to do with race or anything...I could care less about that issue when it comes to this...it had ALL to do with the fact that during the 80s, GTown would usually smack the plop out of UConn.

Hell, I'm just glad they got rid of the O.R. scrub-colored uniforms...

QPR%20Sig.png

:argue:

Guys, y'all need to chill out on the whole "racial thing". It's cool that we address the issue, but to get pissed because someone admitted some white folks rooted against GTown is crazy. People could EASILY get mad at us for cheering against Duke, Notre Dame Basketball, BYU, the Celtics, you name it. But not EVERYONE felt HATE. The Bullets once had an all white starting lineup a few times in the early 90's and they were still my squad. In general, people worry more about the color of the unis more than that of the players.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Hoyas are back to home grays.

And a very nice win for the Commodores, going on the road, beating a Big East school. It's never too early to impress the tournament committee, on the off chance that Vandy doesn't win the SEC's automatic bid ...

capt.mci10311262024.vanderbilt_georgetown_mci103.jpg

capt.mci10211261910.vanderbilt_georgetown_mci102.jpg

capt.mci10111261908.vanderbilt_georgetown_mci101.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Who..or WHAT designs sports uniforms these days? Each sport seems to be intentionally trying to out do UGLINESS from each other! My goodness these are horrible..first it was the Nike football jerseys with one sleeve a different color now these things...what next!

Archived