jersey stripes

southpawstu19

just by watching certain teams play, ive noticed that some are losing their sleeve stripes. the dolphins and ravens come to mind. each team has striping on the elastic part of the sleeve, and many of the players are cutting the sleeves and losing the striping.

Miami.png

It's not just some teams, or just some players. Stripes are going away because sleeves are going away. Sleeves are gone on all the jerseys except those worn by the skill position players. Nobody wants to have extra material to hold onto, so receivers and backs are starting to trim up their sleeves also.

I'm with you in your lamentations. Some teams are defined by their stripes, and these marks of distinction are becoming rarer and rarer. Same for the socks, since players like the "leotard look".

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Performance is more important than whether or not jersey looks cute and pretty.

the players in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, early/mid 90's, and earlier didn't seem to have a problem when it came to playing in sleeves.

Call me effing crazy.

Back in the day, swimmers raced looking like they were going the beach, then they got swim caps and goggles, they started shaving their bodies, and now they have full body speed suits. Swimmers, runners, cyclists, and other speed athletes go to extreme technical lengths to increase performance. These methods have nothing to do with training or preparation, but they still do them because they help performance, which is what sports are all about: performance.

Fashion has to change as performance technology changes. You're damn right sleeves hinder performance. So does a loose-fitting jersey. Not only do they increase aerodynamic drag, but they provide something for a defensive player to grab. Football players are both speed athletes and strength athletes, so the equipment is twice as important as a swimmer's, runner's, or cyclist's equipment.

If a defender can't grab the jersey, it's a hell of a lot harder to make the tackle. Tight jerseys and cap sleeves force the game of football to be played as it was meant to be played; defenders have to tackle players with thier speed, strength, and skill because they can't pull them down by the jersey. A lineman has to use his speed, strength, and skill to block a pass rusher, and it's much harder to hold a defender without jersey to grab. Tight jerseys and cap sleeves make the game better.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I think the bost hope for slleves and sleeve stripes in general is with under-armor style undershirts. Mandate that they have to be the same color as the Jersey, and then you can put the sleeve stripes on the sleeves. That's just me though.

Tight jerseys and cap sleeves make the game better.

You had me until this last line. Better individual performance doesn't necessarily make the game better. Maybe more scoring with supposedly less tackling (debateable since defenders would be harder to "block" or hold) but I'm not sure if that would make the game better.

If you think that sleeves hinder performance in any way, you are effing crazy.

I'll use the countless number of players that are ditching sleeves as backup for my case.

I think you might be missing the point of this forum then

I happen to agree that performance is the number one priority with a sports uniform, and I think I understand the point of this forum quite well. The changes in templates / structure that the new materials and technology have brought on have just increased the challenges faced by designers, and it is interesting to see how they adjust. Some teams / designers do a great job, some don't. If anything losing the sleeves is a good thing, since a designer can't take a shortcut and just throw some stripes on the jersey and call it a day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I happen to agree that performance is the number one priority with a sports uniform, and I think I understand the point of this forum quite well. The changes in templates / structure that the new materials and technology have brought on have just increased the challenges faced by designers, and it is interesting to see how they adjust. Some teams / designers do a great job, some don't. If anything losing the sleeves is a good thing, since a designer can't take a shortcut and just throw some stripes on the jersey and call it a day.

i'd almost rather have the designers take the "Easy way out" then, and just throw stripes on there...

because the designers job is to make the jersey look nice... and if you think the bengals, cardinals, or bills "creative" uniforms look nicer than the packers, niners, or steelers "shortcut" uniforms, then you're crazy :)

i'd almost rather have the designers take the "Easy way out" then, and just throw stripes on there...

because the designers job is to make the jersey look nice... and if you think the bengals, cardinals, or bills "creative" uniforms look nicer than the packers, niners, or steelers "shortcut" uniforms, then you're crazy :)

I don't think that the Bills, Bengals, etc. look nice. I wouldn't say that the designers / teams did a good job there. But at least they recognize that the current uniform cut is here to stay, and that they can't just slap stripes on a non-existing sleeve and expect it to look good.

I'm not a huge fan of the Titans uniform, but it is a perfect example of this adaptation that I'm talking about. If you want to get your color in there, instead of half-stripes like the Steelers or Lions, go vertical! It is a good compromise. Also, teams like the Jets have a look that works perfectly well with modern jersey cuts.

Times change, designers need to catch up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Please change your avatar. You and Vandy are hurting a lot of people. :cry:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived