College football unis: first week observations

bods39

I'm watching the Buckeyes spank the Huskies

and realized I REALLY don't like the those huskie unis.

The number font clashes with the full block "W", their

nameplate font looks unusually small and the piping

at the shoulders is just plain wimpy.

Other things I noticed: Oregon wearing the all yellow duds,

oh lord breakout the BlueBlockers. It looks like they're wearing one of Michael Irvins old suits. And UNC in all columbia blue,

remids me of some footy pajamas my grandma bought me when I was 7. West Virginia didn't looks so good getting trounced in their bronco-esque monstrosity. But...on the reverse and all that is good in the world side, USC with the grey facemasks and sweet new/old jerseys. Plus good 'ol Ohio state, they make

a plain helmet look pretty darn good.

I thought it was nice to see Nebraska go retro (if you consider five years ago "retro").  I also hope those Oregon jerseys don't become the standard Nike pattern for the decade (ala the Broncos).

Tennessee finally got rid of the horrendous uniforms from last year,Florida State was in all white for the first time in 12 years, plus i notice a lot of teams the wore white cleats last season switch to black cleats and vice versa,but the team that made the biggest improvement uniform wise so far has to be Michigan State,Tulsa,finally wearing normal uniforms again,but ive notice that not only more teams are wearing Bronco-style uniforms,but i also notice a lot of teams going w/ the Houston Texans sholder stripe on the jerseys hey there two more days worth of football to go,plus some of them were idle today,just gotta wait to next week and see what develops

I don't know if you all saw the Toledo uniform posted, or UConn on TV. How about Atlanta Falcons in the NFL. If you add all those new unis up you get a pretty bad trend. *For unis, like in fashion, the more trendy they are, the faster they look bad. In the early 70s there was a large wave of experimentation in stripes and colors, which produced some wild things. Looking back on it it is one of the worst periods in unis history.

Whether we will admit it now or later, THIS is another period we can label as the worst in unis history. If something is fresh, it doesn't make it good. Neither does a stale, old design always work. Even the players will be cringing at this stuff in a couple years. Just wait.

I am totally with Eric Bodamer on his evaluations, too. Nice job.

as long as bowling green, wyoming, and western michigan dont decide to go all one color any time soon things will be fine

:;): :P:D

I thought Western switched awhile ago to black jerseys, replacing the ones using that other color.  So one color for them wouldn't be a problem.

Here's a change I didn't notice until looking at today's paper.  Indiana has made a slight alteration to their jersey, dropping the "IU" from the left front and adding "HOOSIERS" in big block letters across the front (as if they didn't already look like an Oklahoma rip-off last year).

The new:

image-070249-1636.jpg

The old:

HamdanG0230.jpg

I was so busy evaluating UConn's changes I missed my own alma mater's

i didnt make this observation by watching tv

i saw this in American wedding

the american pie's take place in michigan, and in american wedding they were in a sporting goods store

in the background were michigan jerseys, including a maize/yellow/ w/e they call it, a reverse of the dark blue one.

will these make it out onto the field or are they just a fashion jersey like the silver buckeye jerseys and the black sooners jerseys

signature.gif

the american pie's take place in michigan, and in american wedding they were in a sporting goods store

in the background were michigan jerseys, including a maize/yellow/ w/e they call it, a reverse of the dark blue one.

None of the movie was filmed in Michigan, though, so it's entirely possible those jerseys have nothing to do with Ann Arbor Community College.

STL FAN: you are totally correct in your assumption, Oregon

is Nikes personal guinea pig. And that directive comes

right from the top, Phil Knight. He wants Oregon

to have the newest, best of everything. So while the unis

are garish they actually may be trying something

with the fabrics or seam lines, I don't know for sure.

They do have those cooling vests, my buddy came up with that idea, he's been trying to get that going for 5 years now.

Archived