ALCS & NLCS Preview

NJTank

Way to go with the chalk Tank :P

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Yeah, the Angels I believe have the edge against the Chisox, and this isn't a biased opinion. The last time the two teams met, in the Windy City, the Angels swept them. And also, here's my analysis of the pitching situation. Byrd's pitch count was down in game 3, so he should be fine, and besides, with the conditions of that game, it would have been a pipe dream to think that with the lack of grip on the ball caused by the rain that any pitcher would be truly dominant. Lackey will certainly be available for game 2, although I believe that he should be put off for game 3. Santana pitched a hell of the game, and I think he should be used in game 4 or 5, since he tends to pitch better at home. Washburn should hopefully be okay in a few days, and the same with Colon, especially considering that Colon's back has been killing him all season, yet he still managed to suck it up and win 21 games. Other options for starter are Joe Saunders, if they decide to bring him up for the series, since his first start was a shutout until the bullpen blew it for him. And heck, even Scot Shields is an option, as he became a starter for them in the latter part of 2003. But, the main factor I think is momentum. Sure, the White Sox swept Boston, but they had a few days to come back to earth, much like what happened to the Angels in game 4, after it was postponed a day. The Halos are still going to be on a complete high, so don't be surprised if the Angels have a really fast start in the series.

VmWIn6B.png

Didn't Colon tweak his shoulder? I know his back has bothered him, and he can battle through that, but that shoulder issue really concerns me. He may win the Cy Young, so taking him away for two games will really hurt. I think he shouldn't pitch until they are certain he can give them at least 5 innings. The Angels can still win, but I have to go with the Sox in 6.

Astros have the mo', but the Cardinals are the better team overall. The classic good pitching vs. good hitting matchup. Will be a close one, but I think the Cards underrated pitching staff will hold the Astros anemic offense down just enough to take 4 games. Cards in 7.

I honestly hope I'm wrong on both...lol.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The Cardinals will win the NL pennant in 6 or 7 games.

The ALCS will be hard to predict. The Angels have too much soul and the ChiSox had an already very well rested pitching staff.

Although I'm a bit sad because my Red Sox will not play for the big titles, I'm satisfied with the next coming League Conferences... We surely will see very nice games. :)

And the 2005 World Series will be one of the most entertaining ever.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well Tank was 4-0 in the LDS... let's see if that streak continues

Even a broken clock is right at least two times a day... :P

By the way, Colon's out...meaning he ain't pitching at all in the LCS. Bummer.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'd love for the Angels and Astros to meet in the World Series, if for no other reason than I own both their caps. :D

That said, I'd be even happier if I could even watch the World Series. Stupid Canadian broadcast TV stations. :mad:

Chicago White Sox def. Los Angeles Angels 4-0

Houston Astros def. St. Louis Cardinals 4-3

The Astros have more heart and will that any team in the playoffs. I think that'll be just enough to carry them through.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Hey, the Angels have already won ALCS Game 1...

What a fat chance that I didn't take your prediction to place my bets. :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Houston Astros def. St. Louis Cardinals 4-3

The Astros have more heart and will that any team in the playoffs. I think that'll be just enough to carry them through.

I think you very much underestimate the Cardinals heart and will. It's probably gone unnoticed because they did what they were supposed to and ran away with the division.

However, they did that through the heart and will of their bench and minor leaguers filling in for the big guys, and the big guys have that heart and will too.

Not that this is the only measure by any means, and certainly making the comeback is more important, but rarely did I ever see the Cardinals go down in the ninth without bringing the tieing run to the plate, and that's been with small and quite large deficits.

This team has really taken to Tony La Russa's "play nine" philosophy, and after coming so close and going cold last year, they are as hungry as ever.

And oh yeah, the home field advantage at Busch could be bigger than anywhere else this year as everyone in that stadium will know just how much it would mean to bring that one final World Series Championship back to Busch.

It should be a great series though. Cards and Astros is really one of the more underrated rivalries in baseball (even 'round here). No gimmicks whatsoever. Just two good teams year in and year out who respect eachother but still have the drive to want to beat the other. Similarly on the fans side...it's not a friendly like STL/CHI, and it's not a hatred like NY/BOS, but it's a real competitive respect. The games are always close.

Here's some great news...I'll probably be at the game tomorrow!

Archived