Phoenix coyotes new logo

nitroseed

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I needed to chime in on the new logo.

First I felt their was no need to change the logo and jerseys.  I have the road & 3rd jerseys and I feel their the top 5 jerseys ever.

That being said,  I do like the new logo and is an eye catcher but the jersey are a dissapointment to me.  It would have been better to keep the same jersey design.

So much for being different.

But my question is: Is there any alternate logos at all?

Yeah... there's a slightly different moon logo, with brick where the purple used to be, and sand in the moon. Also, there is a logo shaped like Arizona, with "PHX" printed across the bottom and the ray pattern like the state flag in the top portion.

There is no soutwestern feel to it as the last one had.

I am pretty sure that the southwestern theme was toned down on purpose.  The team name, logo and colors carry out enough of a southwestern theme.  Phoenix is an honest-to-goodness real live American city, and a big one at that, and not just some outpost in the desert, so I can see why they would want their hockey team to adopt a more mainstream uniform design.  The other two "desert themed" teams in the market don't go over the top with southwestern patterns or designs for their uniforms so there was really no need to carry that design element over into the Coyotes' next generation of icewear.

I'd really like the jerseys if the logo fit them. I wouldn't mid seeing some black or sand on them, but I really don't mind them. But that logo is terrible, lacks any sort of character, and looks awful on that jersey.

The shoulder logo is really cool, but did they only put it on one shoulder as a nod to "Goals for Kids", which was pretty much a Winnipeg thing (though they continued it in Phoenix for a few years)?  Why not use it on both shoulders?

QPR%20Sig.png

What I really don't like about the logo is that it looks too much like a real coyote. Its completely unimaginative. Theres nothing symbolic or iconic to look at or discover. The lack of prominent features- especially the eyes and teeth- is also a problem.

the goal of a logo designer should not be to recreate a coyote to perfect detail as it appears in nature, thats what illustrators or artists like Robert Bateman do. The goal should be to create something that is open to interpretation and symbolic.

The old logo had these qualities, but perhaps too much. The new logo did a complete 180 and comes off much worse.

ok because of skool i havent been able to lurk around and post here. im def not readin all of these posts... lol

the logo kicks ass!!! i still think the other logo is great but this logo is so much better. the jerseys are nice but to detroit-ish. (colors wise) add the black and cream and ur good. but $20 (25 canadian  :D..jus playin) everyone likes them by the time the season starts

untitled-1.png

What I really don't like about the logo is that it looks too much like a real coyote. Its completely unimaginative. Theres nothing symbolic or iconic to look at or discover. The lack of prominent features- especially the eyes and teeth- is also a problem.

the goal of a logo designer should not be to recreate a coyote to perfect detail as it appears in nature, thats what illustrators or artists like Robert Bateman do. The goal should be to create something that is open to interpretation and symbolic.

The old logo had these qualities, but perhaps too much. The new logo did a complete 180 and comes off much worse.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Here's a art term that everyone should commit to memory...

VISUAL SHORTHAND.  That is what a logo guys job is.

What is the simplest shape/mark/line you can make to quickly and easily be identifiable as something more.

Where I do take issue with your post is that this artist did neither.  This is SO NOT an authentic illustration of a coyote either.  I don't know if it's just me...but its way off, elongated to the point of silliness and just plain odd.

Sidenote: the most phenomenal wildlife artist I've ever seen is named Carl Brenders.  He rocks.  Puts others to shame.  Similar to Bateman but I feel superior.  Batemans compositions tend to focus environmentally, while Brenders tends to zoom in on the creature.  Both are amazing.

Anyway, my vote on this upgrade is still very much thumbs up as a whole, but the logo has serious problems and most certainly doesn't  

the logo kicks ass!!!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thats cool 'Cap.

You're entitled to yours.

And I'm sure YOU kick ass....so its fine.

I like it too.  I do...but my basic point is that it leaves room for further improvement.

Sometimes the only way I can understand what I dont like about something is to attempt to fix it.

For your consideration...

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes2.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes_rd.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes_hm.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/sidebyside.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/phx_road_plain.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/phx_home_plain.gif

Now please take note of the "sidebyside" image.  Can you see the stretched, awkward perspective being implemented by them?  It is probably, while not the worst all around thing I've seen, the most blatant case of sloppiness and sheer incompetence I've ever seen in a logo this high profile.  Plainly wrong.  

Also, I included two GIFs of the jerseys I used to make my mockups...removed their logo.  Please feel free to copy these and play for yourselves.  It's fun sometimes to use photos instead of templates.

So, I tackled this presuming the jerseys remained the same.  I know many of you would have made changes the other way around...to the jerseys instead (adding black,sand)  or to both...but bear with me.

I happen to think it's not a crime to put more colors in the logo than on the jersey (cough..Moose hint...cough).  It can be very effective, but here..

strutting a 2 color, old school, 2 freakin color! jersey..you've got to match that simplicity in your logo.  I tell ya, mine may not be perfect..I kinda hurried.  But I REALLY like it.  This would've went over, if not better, much more intentional and consistent at least.

thoughts?

The eyes on your second design are far more impressive than the one eye treatment that the real logo was given. And your take on the lines of the mouth/jaw definitely works better.

Having said that...a two-colour logo of that kind of detail bites, regardless of the jerseys involved. Despite your superiority in design, the original has a much better visual impact with the black and sand. Any chance we could see #2 in a matching four-colour scheme?

(given the choice, I personally would add colour to the jersey before I pulled it from the logo)

HEY Sterlng-

Great post, great logo, great images.  I agree entirely, and its nice to hear some basic deisgn sense b eing talked about on these boards besides strictly personal tastes (black, brown, traditionalists, etc.).  

I like the stripped down, basic, two color jerseys, I tthink they look realatively sharp.  I agree the logo is atrocious, its angle too weird, not much of a recognizable symbol, and overall lacks its own identity.  I don't think time will help make this a very recognizable logo either.

Thanks for the good work and posts.

Hmmm, yeah.  I'll poke around with adding the colors back in.

I was excited to try this though cause I've been waiting for some team to have the stones to go 2 colors..one being white.  Immediate cred if pulled off ya know?  

anyway, before I do that...I fixed my concepts to where I think they are perfect..

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes3.gif

http://www.north18.com/images/new_coyotes_finals.gif

I appreciate the feedback.  I disagree a bit and think even this flatter two-color version pops way more than the four color weirdness.  BUT, I'll acknowledge that it could just be the way I see the world.  If I note something I perceive to be a glaring error, it is difficult to ever see past it ya know?  Hate that.

i love the two-tone effect you've done. A nice little teak of the logo. You added a few other things two that also make it look very nice. It matched thej erseys well, and i must say i like it.

I don't think the Jerseys should have color added to them. They look great. But the new logo you made looks far superior on the jerseys than the other logo.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thanks JQK

I tend to agree.

For the record. HEre are my attempts with color. I dont care for it.

Note the "real" coyote and that he doesnt have an eight foot snout (fairly snub actually) or a shark or a jet fighter or whatever that is protruding from it's head.

http://www.north18.com/images/coyote_color.gif

Also note the actual howling Coyote has only his bottom teeth visible. This is because he is howling and his top lip is cupping slightly..(just pantomime a howl at your PC right now and you'll know what I mean).

These are the subtleties that I CONSTANTLY harp on. I hadnt noticed until I'd found this photo, but having his top teeth bared makes it look a little more like a roar (or a yawn as some people have said) than a howl..

IT all adds up my friends. Every little error, inconsistency and overlooked nuance = phleh.

Archived