Toronto Raptors Identity Shift

TruColor

For those of you who don't have access to the NBA/WNBA/D-League Logo site, the following was posted this morning:

TORONTO RAPTORS: The Raptors are shifting their identity focus to the Secondary Claw Logo and Primary Logo for the upcoming season. The Secondary TR/Leaf logo will only be used for community relations promotions. This logo should be phased out of merchandise during the 2005-06 season and fully eliminated by the start of the 2006-07 season. Coinciding with the uniform designation shift of red to road and purple to second road, product designs should focus on the following colors in rank order starting with most preferred color: Red, Black, Silver, Purple.

So, the Red alt is now the primary road uni, with the Purple being the alt. Makes you wonder if something else is coming down the line in the future...

That's very odd. They're fazing out the "Canadian"-ized logo, but emphasizing the red jersey. Seems almost contradictory.

To note: at the Portland-Toronto exhibition game held at the MTS Centre here in Winnipeg on Monday, the claw and TR/Leaf logos were used almost exclusively. The full bodied primary was nowhere to be found.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think making the red jersey the primary road was a good idea but I'm not so sure about the TR-leaf.

Now they need to fix their primary home, which will look way out of place.

Could someone post an example of the logos in question?

They have them on this site.

Untitled-1.png

I don't like the sound of this.

First ridding the road jersey's of Toronto, and now removing the only logo with a Canadian link (not only the T in TR, but the maple leaf).

Sounds like they're gearing up for a move, but I don't think MLSE would let them go easily... and I don't think it'd be a wise move for the NBA

I don't like the sound of this.

First ridding the road jersey's of Toronto, and now removing the only logo with a Canadian link (not only the T in TR, but the maple leaf).

Sounds like they're gearing up for a move, but I don't think MLSE would let them go easily... and I don't think it'd be a wise move for the NBA

While working with the club, I asked about them taking "Toronto" off the roads... they said it was to appeal to the entire country rather than just the city.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

The claw logo is the best mark that the Raptors have. If they are going to stay "Toronto" as well as "Raptors", they are moving in the right direction. It also works in any of the team colors:

17yc.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The Secondary TR/Leaf logo will only be used for community relations promotions. This logo should be phased out of merchandise during the 2005-06 season and fully eliminated by the start of the 2006-07 season.
So what about the panels on their alternate shorts?

ujsignature.png

The Secondary TR/Leaf logo will only be used for community relations promotions. This logo should be phased out of merchandise during the 2005-06 season and fully eliminated by the start of the 2006-07 season.
So what about the panels on their alternate shorts?

The logo was still being used on 10-26-05 against the Trail Blazers:

19bz.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The claw logo is the best mark that the Raptors have. If they are going to stay "Toronto" as well as "Raptors", they are moving in the right direction. It also works in any of the team colors:

17yc.png

That's one of the reasons it's a great alternate logo that would make for a terrible primary logo.

Unless it's a new direction for design, team logos tend to value icon-icity or versatility... the Yankees' NY is one of the few logos I can think of that changes its colouring completely depending on its application.

It's too simple as well. There's so much undeveloped terrain when it comes to dinosaurs in logos (especially when compared to, say, bears or birds-of-prey). Develop something classy and current, and stick with it.

On another note, I also liked the purple and red focus of their first 10 years. The fact that they moved away from it to red and black is understandable, considering their stated intentions to appeal to the entire country, but from a design perspective, it's a shame to lose something that unique.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived