Jacques Demers is illiterate

NJTank

I just read this on ESPN.com and I must say Im shocked how can a NHL Coach be illiterate when he rights out game lineu ps and things like that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...cott&id=2212807

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

:flagcanada:

What a battler, that is really one cool story.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

it is amazing. he is perfectly bilingual, too. as a francophone he speaks english way better than most anglophones and americans at that. me included. very personable.

i know he "wrote" a stanley cup column for usa today for a few years. i would guess now that was transcribed from a tape. i always liked him. still do.

tb

He dropped out of school in eigth grade? How could a school system allow someone to reach eigth grade without knowing how to read?

And wouldn't seeing all his players names on the backs of their jerseys give him enough to fill out a lineup card? I guess it's hard for me to understand, because I was never in that situation, but I would think that you'd just pick it up over time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

He dropped out of school in eigth grade? How could a school system allow someone to reach eigth grade without knowing how to read?

Sir, you would be shocked.

I interned in an eighth-grade class last semester, and one of my lessons involved a play about the Massachusetts 54th (first black military unit) that was read aloud in the class. I called on one student to read a part, and his eyes became huge and it seemed like he started shaking, even. I realized my mistake and called on someone else to read the part because I thought he was just shy. After class, talking with the teacher, he told me that the student, in 8th grade, couldn't read.

Social promotion is a whole 'nother educational can of worms, though. Would you rather have a 14 year-old sitting in second grade?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm glad this isn't an attack thread, as I feared when I opened it....

This is very interesting to learn. I don't know anything about this dude, but he must have been one of the most intelligent people in the game. It's just amazing how he was able to realize the successes he achieved being illiterate. Wow.

I hope this sheds light on the problems of adult illiteracy and social promotion. When former Redskins DE Dexter Manley announced he was illiterate people in America were like, "whoa, what's wrong with our education system." I've seen the result of social promotion, my mom's a friggin' kindergarten teacher and she even has to deal with this crap.

Kudos to Demers for speaking up, albeit pretty damn late.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In Newark, NJ students are not allowed to stay back no matter how bad they do end of the year its on to the next grade then the next and the next, so even graduating matters not

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived