N.L. GREEN BOOK , A.L. RED BOOK....?

ASTROS75

As a kid in the 70's, I eagerly awaited the release of the National League Green Book and American League Red Book. Before the internet , this was the best way to see logo changes and uniform designs for the upcoming sesaon. I still have 1977-1979 , and the 1978 book for the NL has all the helmets displayed on the cover. Any of you 40 somethings remember these books? The web will always be the best info source , but it was great having the books as a keepsake

Sure, I remember those books and used to eagerly await their arrival at my local bookstore (usually right before spring training). If I seem to recall correctly, only the NL Green Book had full color illustrations of each uniform. I believe the AL Red Book only had detailed descriptions of the uniforms, but no illustrations.

40-Something?! Dude, I'm only 31 and I remember them! I had the 1985-1989 Red & Green books. Indispensible.

I think I might actually still have them in a box in storage somewhere.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Ah yes, the pre-Internet days of eagerly awaiting the Red Book and Green Book to arrive in stores, usually in early March. The Green Book did a better job of uniforms...all two pages with color illustrations. The Red Book just included a description in each team's section.

And they ALWAYS got the Red Sox wrong. Apparantly they were convinced that the home jerseys had a hidden zipper. Always made me laugh.

38 and I remember them. I am going to be 40 . . . someday. I used to check them out at the local library.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

This 20-something (well... for another week, anyway :cry: ) had a couple Green Books when he was younger. I tortured my parents for weeks with truly useless info every time it came out.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'm sure it's just cause of nostalgia that we're talking in the past tense, but I work for a radio station where we still get the green books each year - internet or not, it's still a lot of fun to read through.

HornetsTwistSig.gif

New York Jets |3-3| First, AFC East

New York Mets |74-88| Fourth, NL East

New York Islanders|34-37-11| Fifth, Atlantic Division

New Orleans Hornets |21-45| Third, Southwest Division

Really? I wonder why they're not sold publicly anymore (The Sporting News)...

I get the fact book they put out each year , but it pales (literally,no color) in comparison to the red and green books. Wonder if they can be bought by the unmwashed masses in any way , shape or form?

I've seen 2003 Green and Red Books laying around the office at work... we probably have more current ones being hoarded by the sports department.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived