Future jerseys paying homage to past frnc. cities

gregchait

What would be some feeling/opinions on future alternate jerseys perhaps having versions or some sort of portion of logos and/or colors from past cities?

This could take place in any major sport, but I am more thinking along the lines of hockey here.  What if the Hurricanes somehow were to incorporate the "whale-tale" logo... or the Coyotes incorporated the Jets old logo into a patch or something.  

Is this a horrible idea, or would it be neat to see the teams pay homage to the franchises history?

You do often see MLB teams wear uniforms from cities past in retro day (Orioles wearing St. Louis Brown uni's, Rangers wearing Washington Senator uni's come to mind).  What if the NHL were to incorporate this in some capacity?  

Your thoughts?

GRC

yanks_sig.gif

or the Coyotes incorporated the Jets old logo into a patch or something.

I would have to book a flight down to Phoenix and personally prevent it from happening.

As nice and cute everybody thinks it would be to pay homage to them, think of this: had the Browns not been formed, what do you think Clevelanders would have thought if the Ravens suddenly had a Cleveland tribute night? Same kind of deal here.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think in major league ball, most of the teams moved long enough ago (and the cities that lost teams have gotten new ones and learned to love them) that it's not so big a deal. And don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't think the Dodgers would ever do a Brooklyn Dodgers throwback because of the number of heartbroken NYers they left behind (of course, if they already have, then I'm just blathering like an idiot)... I think it depends a lot on time healing old wounds and the depth of the wound when the team left.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think in major league ball, most of the teams moved long enough ago (and the cities that lost teams have gotten new ones and learned to love them) that it's not so big a deal. And don't quote me on this, but I wouldn't think the Dodgers would ever do a Brooklyn Dodgers throwback because of the number of heartbroken NYers they left behind (of course, if they already have, then I'm just blathering like an idiot)... I think it depends a lot on time healing old wounds and the depth of the wound when the team left.

I don't believe the Dodgers have ever done a Brooklyn TBTC game.  I wouldn't think it would go over too well in LA if they did it at home and I would certainly think that a fair share of New Yorkers would resent the masquerade if they tried to get away with it in NY.

Eventhough they moved.. what, 45 years ago? the wound that the Dodgers inflicted on the city hasn't been forgoten.

It has been passed down, from generation to generation. Most of who are now Mets fans.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Yeah I'll buy that... I mean, it really is the most bitter city departure in the history of sports, Baltimore was quenched by the Browns, who were in turn relieved by an expansion team...

I am not totally for the idea originally posted, just curious what others view/opinions on the matter would be.

grc

yanks_sig.gif

in hockey, I think it would be a treat for older fans to see it when two teams, like Colorado and Pheonix play, to have them where jets and nordiques colours as a nostalgia act. In that context, I'm for hte idea, only for game like that. But in other cases, leave the jets and nords in Winnipeg and Quebec, they don't belog in the states.

incidentaly, the avs did let Sakic, Forsburg and one other player wear nordiques uniforms in a preseason game last year against the Canadiens in the old Nordiques arena.

incidentaly, the avs did let Sakic, Forsburg and one other player wear nordiques uniforms in a preseason game last year against the Canadiens in the old Nordiques arena.

Sakic, Forsberg and Foote wore Nordiques jerseys only for the warmup during that preseason game versus the Canadiens at Le Pepsi Colisee last preseason.

Archived