St. Louis Cardinals Concept

AAO

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shmee, leave the dickheadedness (making up words here) out when youre gonna post.

One thing I dont understand is how it's 'overstylized.' The same can be said about the blue jays' jay, in your context of the word. No blue jay has those cuts around its eye, nor those cartoony eyeballs.

We are graphic designers, after all. Not artists with the responsibility to render things parallel to its real life counterpart. The important thing is that you can tell the bird is a cardinal.

And the serifs are not exaggerated, they came standard with the chosen font. I can't help that you get your panties in a bunch over a few serifs. I guess then the same can be said about Tempest's Chinooks concept, in your case--because he used the same typeface.

I don't need everyone to love my work. But I can definitely do without the dickheadedness.

And GMac, I cant blame you. I realized that too.

I'd suggest leaving the "holierthanthouness" out of it too.

I don't like the Bird by itself. If you are going to use it with a secondary I'd include something there. The shape that's been cut out looks just like that, its been cut out to fit something. But that something isn't there. I'd either fix that form, or add something like a "C" or "STL"

The font is the thing I like best about the concept. However, I don't really care for the half shaded part of it. For some reason, I'm don't think it works. It works better than most of the time when you do that.

The highlight on the cardinal looks like the red shape has been misaligned. It doesn't really look like a highlight to me. And he kinda looks sleepy.

I'd retry the STL using something closer to the font you used in the wordmark.

I like the font and the wordmark (minus highlights), but I'm not too sold on the cardinal at all.

Dickheadedness or honesty? I'm letting you know that I keep seeing the same things over and over in your work, and that I think that each design is made weaker by the fact that it looks so similar to the others that you post.

I can tell the bird is a cardinal because of two reasons. The first is that it looks so similar to the Arizona Cardinals logo. The second is that it says Cardinals right next to the bird's head. I can only assume that the Cardinals wordmark was referring to the red bird's head sitting next to it.

I was remarking that you tend to make most of your primary logos too busy and complicated when they'd look much better if simplified, in my opinion. I also think it's funny that you compared your bird to the Blue Jays' logo, because I think it's a terrible design that also suffers from being far too busy for its own good.

The serifs that I was talking about aren't on "the chosen font". I'm talking about the STL alternate logo, which you cannot deny has very large serifs. The serifs are there. You have to look past the yellow highlights and motion lines, but they're there. It's a very pointy logo.

And don't talk about being a dickhead and then tell me not to get my panties in a bunch. It's poor form. I don't wear panties. I wear boxers, and I wear a different pair every day because I like variety. Change is good, friend. You might think about trying it sometime.

For the record, I left "ridiculous piping" off of my checklist because you didn't include jerseys in this concept. If you can't take criticism, go ICS style and make polls that nobody is allowed to respond to. I'll probably give heat for that too, though.

I know you don't expect everyone to love your stuff, but I also think you shouldn't just ignore it when people (and I know I'm not the only one that has done it) say that most of your stuff looks so similar.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

AAO has a distinctive / sleek style that he sticks w/... because it usually works quite well... however... it can be overly redundant, even stale... anyway, MY biggest pet peave is the NO PUPILS thing... that's always irked me... and since I'm ranting a bit here... to be "honest", I can't help but say that STL melding is just plain awful... even the shape... and if that's "dickheadedness", I'm sorry.

but I'll leave this on a positive note... obviously AAO's not afraid to experiment... w/ concepts and such.... so I'm sure some of the new styles he comes up w/ will be exceptional...

that's the beauty of life, and of freedom... the opportunity to learn from unlimited resources... actually, kinda scary sometimes.

:unclesam:

Pat...awesome crit there. Sleepy--i see it.

Shmee...You just came across as dickhead, and i returned the dickheadedness saying you got your panties in a bunch.

And you continue, saying it looks like the AZ cards logo so thats the only reason you know it's a Cardinal, which really should/could be a compliment, but if you honestly think it looks like it, well, you just came across as an idiot to me.

You know, for one who doesn't post concepts, you sure have a lot to say. I'm a strong believer in 'takes one to know one.'

And for the record, something like 'ridiculous piping' keeps the spark in a concept. Something a little crazy, not too far out of the box though. I'd say the only crazy piping job i did was with the unis i did on the Missouri Attack concept.

How do you think new ideas are brought to the table? You have to experiment. That's one of the best parts in being a designer.

As for the STL logo....like I said, not to make an excuse, but it was done back in March, untouched since then...hence the mishapen-ness of it, ill have to revisit it.

And Pill, no pupils bug me too. It's kind of lazy, to just slap a hollow eye on there. Which was exactly what I did. But im still trying to learn how to do pupils right.

And Shmee, I would've been better off not knowing about your underwear changing agenda. I'm really happy you change them everyday. Wouldnt want people on the boards running around with dirty undies.

Or in a bunch.

I actually started this back in March or so, but got back to it just now.  No unis as of yet, but this is what i've got.  This might just spark the resurrection of the MLB redesign proj.

:D

Complete-St.gif

:notworthy: Aao, as a Cardinals fan. That design rocks! :notworthy:

:woot: 250th Post! :woot:

manning2.gif

BUSCH STADIUM III IS COMING,ARE YOU READY?

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (12-4-0) NEXT GAME VS KANSAS CITY

TB LIGHTNING (19-20-2) NEXT GAME @ COLORADO

ATLANTA THRASHERS(24-12-6) NEXT GAME VS PHOENIX

COLTS BACK TO BACK PLAYOFF APPEARANCES 05-06/06-07

Ian, knock it off. Shmee has a point. Besides, he just doesn't show off stuff here. He does work, trust me.

You want crit, they are giving you crit. Want my honest opinion? The stl arch thing looks like it took 2 seconds to slap together. There is no flow in it what so ever. I also agree on the no pupil thing, and the highlights as well. Plus sometimes you just gotta go with no serifs.

Calling people jackasses and idoits when they respond? Nice call. Maybe we know who truly is with those remarks.

I may be an butthole and a dickhead, but thats the way I see it.

Well if someone everso non-chalantly told you that your logo was 'just the bird version of the Bobcats logo' youd realize its a jackass thing to say. Do you see anything constructive in it? Only thing it constructed for me was his image as an idiot.

And Shmee didn't come off as crit. He made a 'checklist' reinstating what he didnt like, like being a smartass.

And yes, for the umpteenth time, the STL logo sucks. It's bad, I know. Relax.

:notworthy: As i said before this is awesome. Who cares if they think it sucks. :notworthy:

manning2.gif

I like the bird . I think it is a cool logo and I think the secondary would also work with a different team.

I understand what you are doing and i think in general a lot of these logos would be great for minor league teams. I am sick of them just ripping off the major league logo and trying to make it work.

There is less tradition there and a more modern logo/ uniform would work and be distinctive.

I have thought about this with some of your baseball concepts before too

Like this whole package would be cool for Springfield or Memphis for example

Ian,

What I do is ignore the users that either I don't recognise or don't respect. I look for comments from the good folks on the board. And in some cases the good folks have given some bad advice now and then. No easy answer, but as we all know, you can't please everyone.

For my C & C, I DO like the bird a whole lot, but am with the others who think it looks like a football logo. For the most part, many baseball logos are a little more detailed, or just use thinner outlines. If you liked it the way it is, consider a move it to football. It's for your portfolio, so do what you want. Anyway, it's a cool, dynamic shape!

My only problem is with the logo+wordmark combo. You have red and yellow at the left, but none at the right or middle to balance it out. Would a red dropshadow on the lettering be visible? Would it make it too busy with the grey? Would it work to turn the St.Louis to red and add a thin, white outline? Things to think about.

Thanks. Here's an update with 2 choices on the primary, to veer away from its similarity in shape to the Jays' logo. Brought the end of the bird down to the end of C to make it flow better. Ditched the original STL logo I had going. Adjusted the highlight on its head a bit. Scrapped the wordmark highlight.

Complete-StLouisCardinals2.gif

I would say that ones great as well,aao. :notworthy:

manning2.gif

on the downside, this would nix the birds on the bat. the workmanship's undeniable, though. I'm somewhat iffy on the inclusion of silver, but I can't argue with the results

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Complete-St.gif

Nice concept, but I can't help but think of the Blue Jays' primary logo, with the bird coming out of the left of the wordmark, when looking at this.

TOR_1412.gif

took the words right out of my mouth.

for a cardinals redesign, I suggest this:

1. ditching white and going with a cream. old school, it would look really cool.

2. making the red just a bit darker, i mean just barely. crimsonish.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived