Cubs Logo History

no97

I was reading the latest Cubs.com mailbag segment (written by Carrie Muskat), and the last question caught my eye as something folks here might be interested in - Enjoy:

Who designed the Cubs logo? It's been around a long time but seems to work in any era. -- Steve C., Minneapolis, Minn.

I had to go to historian Ed Hartig for this one. Hartig says Otis Shepard, a long-time ad man for the Wrigley gum company, designed the Cubs uniforms from the early 1930s until his death in February 1969. Shepard also designed the Cubs scorecard well into the 1970s, using artwork from his files.

In 1937, Shepard's uniform featured a big red "C" thinly outlined in blue with "UBS" inscribed in blue. In 1941, the "UBS" was changed to red, the blue outline of the "C" was removed while the entire logo was outlined by a thin blue line. In 1957, the outline became a thin blue circle and this look remained in place until 1979 when the thin blue circle was changed to a thick blue circle of today's logo. Hartig says he's not sure who recommended the circle be made thicker, but guessed it was probably someone from the gum company's art department.

The home hat, to which Shepard added the red button, has remained virtually unchanged since 1959. The same hat was worn in 1957 and 1958 with one twist -- the panels were outlined with white piping. The Cubs wore several versions of their hat from 1927 to 1956 -- most of them consisting of a red "C." In some years, the "C" was wishbone-like, while at other times it was more rounded, but flatter, than today's "C."

Not realy new info, but interesting none the less...

Moose

I read that, too, but didn't think to post it. Just checked her facts with the "Dressed to the Nines"/Okkonen database. For some reason, I always thought the Cubs cap with white piping was only worn in 1957...

EDIT: Taking another look at the uni database seems to confirm that they didn't wear it in 1958.

I read that, too, but didn't think to post it. Just checked her facts with the "Dressed to the Nines"/Okkonen database. For some reason, I always thought the Cubs cap with white piping was only worn in 1957...

EDIT: Taking another look at the uni database seems to confirm that they didn't wear it in 1958.

they didn't. i have the 1959 topps baseball set, and almost all of the photos shot of the cubs from 58 for the set (i think there were a couple of pix from the 57 season (lee walls??) have the cubs in somewhat the same looking caps as today's homes.

tb

they didn't. i have the 1959 topps baseball set, and almost all of the photos shot of the cubs from 58 for the set (i think there were a couple of pix from the 57 season (lee walls??) have the cubs in somewhat the same looking caps as today's homes.

tb

You've got the 1959 Topps set? I'm jealous.

I don't care what condition it's in, I'm jealous.

:D

It's where I sit.

I think you'd have to look even earlier than 1939. The Cubs logo is an adaptive verion of the logo for the Chicago Athletic Association, and when Wrigley bought the team in 1915 along with several minority partners, all were members of the CAA and struck a handshake agreement allowing them to brand the baseball club using the CAA logo and colors. Over time the 'UBS' was added, or the walking bear more recently; but the original intent was the Cubs were ostensibly the professional baseball wing of the CAA.

In any case, the CAA logo had been around well before 1915, and can be seen all over the building housing it on Michigan Avenue, i think right south of Madison.

it's also on these member uniforms from 1890:

history_1890group_pic_350.jpg

I think you'd have to look even earlier than 1939. The Cubs logo is an adaptive verion of the logo for the Chicago Athletic Association, and when Wrigley bought the team in 1915 along with several minority partners, all were members of the CAA and struck a handshake agreement allowing them to brand the baseball club using the CAA logo and colors. Over time the 'UBS' was added, or the walking bear more recently; but the original intent was the Cubs were ostensibly the professional baseball wing of the CAA.

In any case, the CAA logo had been around well before 1915, and can be seen all over the building housing it on Michigan Avenue, i think right south of Madison.

it's also on these member uniforms from 1890:

history_1890group_pic_350.jpg

Wow -- I never knew that. Talk about staying power. Those 1890 unis look more like the 1979-present logo than some of the versions iin between. Amazing. I'm going to have to check that building out.

I never knew...checkin their site, it's even in the same color scheme: a red C in a blue ring (although the differences between the Cubs logo and the CAA logo are evident)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

tb

You've got the 1959 Topps set? I'm jealous.

I don't care what condition it's in, I'm jealous.

:D

Yeah, seriously. :notworthy:

I always liked the design of that set...hokey, but not quite as hokey as the set ('55 Bowman?) that had each player in the screen of a TV.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

the okkonen database/book isn't perfect. for example the indians wore a hat with white piping during i think 1973, this isn't reflected in the book

Do you have any pictures of that? I don't remember any having seen anything like that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

the okkonen database/book isn't perfect. for example the indians wore a hat with white piping during i think 1973, this isn't reflected in the book

Do you have any pictures of that? I don't remember any having seen anything like that.

Yes, a decent b/w photo, but no way to upload it except to display it here:

http://profiles.yahoo.com/ocean_cable_enterprises (click the photo to enlarge)

Maybe someone can identify the exact year

Yes, a decent b/w photo, but no way to upload it except to display it here:

http://profiles.yahoo.com/ocean_cable_enterprises (click the photo to enlarge)

Maybe someone can identify the exact year

Thanks. I don't remember that at all (of course, I also turned 6 during the summer of '73, so the memory is a little hazy :wacko: ).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived