Chicago Plans to Bid For 2016 Olympics

MisterE

Potential 2016 Bid Cities (in planning stages):

Chile (Announced Chile's NOC President on October 15, 2002)

Baltimore, USA (August 8, 2005 Reports)

Chicago, USA (Mayor announced July 26, 2005)

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (According to March 1, 2004 Report)

Hamburg, Germany (According to February 17, 2004 Mayor's Announcement)

Houston, USA (Reports)

India (GamesBids.com Reports December 3, 2005)

Japan (Sapporo or Fukuoka) (JOC announces May 19, 2005)

Kenya (GamesBids.com Reports January 12, 2005)

Los Angeles, USA (GamesBids.com Reports September 7, 2005)

Madrid, Spain (Announced it will try again after 2012 loss)

Milan or Rome, Italy (GamesBids.com Reports Feb. 18, 2005)

Montreal, Canada (Mayor Announces July 31, 2005)

Moscow, Russia (Announced it will try again after 2012 loss)

Philadelphia, USA (Announced it is studying the possibility - July 13, 2005)

Portugal (GamesBids.com Reports January 7, 2004)

Rotterdam, Netherlands (Under investigation)

Rome, Italy (According to Mayor, July 19, 2005)

St. Petersburg, Russia (According to Vice Governor, December 29, 2003)

St. Paul/Minneapolis, USA (According to August 7, 2003 Report)

San Francisco, USA (Reports)

San Diego USA, Tijuana Mexico (Binational bid study underway according to Jan. 24, 2005 report.)

Tel Aviv, Israel (conducting feasibility study, admits challenges.)

Thailand (According to September 15, 2004 Report)

Tokyo, Japan (According to August 5, 2005 Report)

It was in the local paper today that Chicago is planning to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games. Could this work and where would they be held in Chicago? Soldier Field or a new Olympic Stadium? There are possible plans for a downstate facility.

No way, the state of Illinois has zero dollars for such an endeavour. This is merely Daley trying to distract attention from the latest corruption allegations.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

i realize that chicago has bad odds of winning it, but i hope its close to the midwest so i can go and watch them.......i went to the olympics in SLC after it was over.......it was really cool what they built.......

if they do get it, it would boost the ecoomy.....

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

the US has had enough Olympics in the past.....Kenya looks good....but realistically, Japan, Spain or Italy looks good for me i think it wil come down to one of those three

The Western Hemisphere will be due a Summer Olympics by 2016. I see Chile as a possibility, but I'd rather see Brazil try to get the Games.

I think it's almost a given that 2016 will have to be in the western Hemisphere, preferably North America. It's an unwritten rule, since the TV Contract with NBC essentially bankrolls much of the IOC that they have to get around to a favorable time slot every 4 or 5 olympics.

My bet would be on:

San Diego-Tijuana (I mean, what would be more international then having the Olympics?)

Insert Witty Signature Here.

Chile sounds good, but please not in the USA....they've had enough of it over the years, they even stole an Olympic Games in 1996, by supplying false crime reports to the IOC, if they supplied the real ones, 1996 would have been in Melbourne......fluff you Atlanta......

I reckon it'd be cool to have it in South Africa or Africa for that matter......but whereever it is, it will be awesome.....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Chile sounds good, but please not in the USA....they've had enough of it over the years, they even stole an Olympic Games in 1996, by supplying false crime reports to the IOC, if they supplied the real ones, 1996 would have been in Melbourne......fluff you Atlanta......

I reckon it'd be cool to have it in South Africa or Africa for that matter......but whereever it is, it will be awesome.....

Hey the '96 games could easily have been in Athens or Toronto... :P

But, yeah, a games in Africa would be nice. If FIFA can put the World Cup in South Africa, then the Olympics can too.

I saw, I came, I left.

Hey the '96 games could easily have been in Athens or Toronto... :P

But, yeah, a games in Africa would be nice. If FIFA can put the World Cup in South Africa, then the Olympics can too.

yeh well Melbourne, Athens and Toronto were robbed then....if it were my decision, 1996 would have been in Athens

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

yeh well Melbourne, Athens and Toronto were robbed then....if it were my decision, 1996 would have been in Athens

Athens was barely ready for the 2004 games, let alone 1996.

The Olympics or World Cup really needs to be held in Africa, but according to friends who work on Country Development within the UN, this won't happen for a long time...

Japan just had the World Cup, and the Winter Olympics... so I would love to see South America get it. I'm sick of the US getting the games.

I, personally, want to see Toronto. That was I could go.

But I'm still putting my money on SD-Tijuana, the idea of a Olympics in two countries at once is such a great idea I have to scratch my head over how it has never been done.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

The Olympics or World Cup really needs to be held in Africa, but according to friends who work on Country Development within the UN, this won't happen for a long time...

Japan just had the World Cup, and the Winter Olympics... so I would love to see South America get it. I'm sick of the US getting the games.

South Africa is hosting the 2010 world cup and South America deserves to get the summer olympics one of these days...

I saw, I came, I left.

Once again, LA has made a possible bid. Is it some kind of unwritten rule that LA HAS to submit a bid for every Games? They just had them 21 years ago. But watch them be put on the list of Winter Olympics possibilities for 2018.

Least likely location: Minneapolis/St.Paul. I could see Winter Games but Summer? :blink:

South Africa is hosting the 2010 world cup...

Oh that's awesome!

But I was talking about other African countries, that actually have good soccer teams, hosting the Cup.

Not to get political, but from a human rights stand point, S.A. does not deserve anything.

Hopefully the money brought to the country by the '10 Cup will have a trickle down effect.

It'd be cooler if the whole African continent hosted the '10 cup.

South Africa is hosting the 2010 world cup...

Oh that's awesome!

But I was talking about other African countries, that actually have good soccer teams, hosting the Cup.

Not to get political, but from a human rights stand point, S.A. does not deserve anything.

Hopefully the money brought to the country by the '10 Cup will have a trickle down effect.

It'd be cooler if the whole African continent hosted the '10 cup.

are you talking about the apartheid? That was quite a number of years ago. The ANC has ruled the country since then.

Granted, South Africa has a long ways to go, in terms of poverty and racial relations, but South Africa has hosted the Rugby World Cup in 1995 no so long after deClerk was ousted and was a great success. Plus South Africa was in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, so at least they have had some success in the sporting world.

I saw, I came, I left.

if they do get it, it would boost the ecoomy.....

Actually I belive that is false. Unless it's a city like LA that already has everything most cities lose money on the olympics and end up with a bunch of facilities they won't use again or aren't good for what they will be used for afterwards. The Olympics in Montreal and what it left behing might have been the thing that started the Expos slow painful death.

As for the 2016 Olympics it will be in the US. It would have been in the US for 2012 if New York had it's act together and the people actually wanted the games.

Archived