USC-UCLA both in home jerseys

rtrich11

Used to be an annual thing before 1) UCLA moved its home games to the Rose Bowl and moreso 2) the NCAA got real picky in the uniform rules.

The L.A. Times made note of that last week in the coverage leading up to the game:

-----

The last time UCLA and USC played each other wearing home jerseys was 1982 at the Rose Bowl, a game won by the Bruins, 20-19.

UCLA Coach Karl Dorrell, a freshman receiver that season for the Bruins, said he would like to have that tradition ? which started when both teams played in the Coliseum ? return.

"That's been talked about some, and I would like to do that," Dorrell said. "We would love to have an exception where it wouldn't be a penalty for either team to do that. Even [uSC Coach] Pete [Carroll] has mentioned that he would like to have that too."

NCAA rules say teams must wear contrasting colors and the visitor must wear white unless an agreement for the home team to do so is reached before the season.

If UCLA wore blue Saturday, officials could penalize the Bruins 15 yards and a timeout at the start of each half. It's losing a timeout that doesn't make it worth it to Dorrell.

"Timeouts are crucial," Dorrell said. "Maybe at some point in time we can make an agreement about what we want to get done in this game. It's been special when both teams wear home [uniforms]. We'll see what we can do about it."

-----

I think there are a handful of colors that could be grouped in with 'white' to have a 'light' designation. Light blue (UCLA, UNC), gold (Ga. Tech, UCF), yellow (those hideous Oregon things) and orange (Clemson, OK St., Texas) can have significant contrast, especially if the opponent is in a dark blue, green, red or black.

It works for Illinois hoops -- like tonight against Georgetown.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

yet another dumb a$$ NCAA rule :cursing:

They have no problem extoring billions of dollars from schools, apparel companies, television networks and fans. There are very real concerns about the academic integrity of student-athlete's work (i.e. the Wisconsin cheating scandal). There is evidence of recruits being lured to programs with sex (Colorado). But, really, who care about that when two teams might simultaneously wear home jerseys!

Sadly, the NCAA isn't the only governing institution with its priorities far out of whack...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

(i.e. the Wisconsin cheating scandal)

What?

I'm sorry...I meant Minnesota. For someone not from the area, they're easily confused.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The NCAA has a problem with USC and UCLA wearing contrasting home jerseys, but they are alright with Illinois and Wisconsin wearing nearly the same color uniforms in basketball a couple of years ago?!

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The NCAA has a problem with USC and UCLA wearing contrasting home jerseys, but they are alright with Illinois and Wisconsin wearing nearly the same color uniforms in basketball a couple of years ago?!

The irony, of course, is that the dark vs. white uniform thing, I think, was mainly the result of TV's ascension. Look at a lot of pre-TV football film, and you'll see both teams wearing dark uniforms. Even into the 1960s, the big rivalry games, including USC vs. UCLA, featured both teams wearing their dark unis if they were sufficiently color-contrasting. In fact, UCLA and Ohio State wore their home unis in the Rose Bowl in, I believe, 1976.

Packers-2.png

How about:

Scarlet Ohio State vs. (dark) blue Michigan

(Dark) blue Michigan vs. green Michigan State

Carolina blue North Carolina (sounds like the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) vs. red North Carolina State

Red Georgia vs. blue Florida

Crimson Alabama vs. navy blue Auburn

Crimson Indiana vs. black Purdue

Blue Virginia vs. maroon Virginia Tech

Red Utah vs. blue BYU

Burnt orange Texas vs. maroon Texas A&M

Some won't work because their colors are too close -- Wisconsin (cardinal) vs. Minnesota (maroon), or Oregon (what Nike thinks is green and the rest of the world says is black) vs. Oregon State (black), for instance.

Packers-2.png

As a side note, both teams in the World Bowl earlier this year wore their dark jerseys. Berlin, the home team of record, wore black jerseys and Amsterdam asked if they could wear their orange jerseys, which they were then given the go-ahead to do.

The irony, of course, is that the dark vs. white uniform thing, I think, was mainly the result of TV's ascension. Look at a lot of pre-TV football film, and you'll see both teams wearing dark uniforms. Even into the 1960s, the big rivalry games, including USC vs. UCLA, featured both teams wearing their dark unis if they were sufficiently color-contrasting. In fact, UCLA and Ohio State wore their home unis in the Rose Bowl in, I believe, 1976.

I think you're right. The Packers experimented with white jerseys as early as 1938 when another navy blue team came to town, but as late as 1954 there would still be navy blue v. navy blue Packers/Bears games.

(Dark) blue Michigan vs. green Michigan State

Red Georgia vs. blue Florida

Crimson Alabama vs. navy blue Auburn

Blue Virginia vs. maroon Virginia Tech

Burnt orange Texas vs. maroon Texas A&M

I'm not convinced these particular match-ups would provide sufficient contrast for a TV viewer. I think players wouldn't have much of a problem, but I do wonder about folks watching the game.

I think it would cool if there was historical backing (ala UCLA/USC), but otherwise, dark vs. white is the way to go, IMO.

Oh I think that would be so cool if those two teams returned to both wearing their colored jerseys for that game.

I remember watching those games and always thought it was pretty cool. I didnt know there was any talk about returning to that tradition but I hope both schools DO decide to do it. Just makes a special rivalery that much more special.

Archived