Patriots honor 20th Anniversary of '85 team

DGivens87

20thAnniversary1985Patch-1.jpg

From Patriots.com:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - On January 12, 1986, the New England Patriots made history when they won the AFC Championship by defeating the Dolphins in Miami, 31-14. Not only was it the franchise's first conference title, it was also the team's first win in Miami in over 20 years and the first time that an NFL team had ever won three consecutive playoff games on the road. At the time, it was considered the team's greatest victory and remains one of the most memorable moments in the history of the franchise.

On January 1, 2006, the New England Patriots will honor the players and coaches who participated in that historic game when they host the Miami Dolphins in the 2005 regular season finale. The halftime ceremony will give Patriots fans another opportunity to thank the team as we approach the 20th anniversary of that game.

"I will never forget that game," said Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft. "Twenty years later, I think most Patriots fans from that era still have their ?Squish the Fish' t-shirts. It's one of those mementos that you know that you'll never wear again, but you just can't bring yourself to throw it away. The victory over the Dolphins was one of those great moments in sports that brings a community closer together. Those guys will always have a special place in the hearts of Patriots fans and I look forward to the reception that our fans will give them."

So my question is this - will the Pats be wearing these commemorative patches on their jerseys for the Miami game?

So they're honoring the fact they lost, no, were destroyed in Super Bowl XX?

However, it's pretty damn cool IMHO.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So they're honoring the fact they lost, no, were destroyed in Super Bowl XX?

Or honoring the only team that won three road playoff games... :P

I find it kind of ironic that they chose a game that's played in 2006 to commemorate the 1985-2005 anniversary.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Patriots should wear this style:

Fryar,Irving3.jpgFryar,Irving2.jpg

and the Dolphins should wear this style:

Fryar,Irving8.jpgMarino,Dan57.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I find it kind of ironic that they chose a game that's played in 2006 to commemorate the 1985-2005 anniversary.

True, but the AFC Championship game was played in Jan '86.

Krafty Bob Kraft is too much a marketing genius to have screwed this up.

20thAnniversary1985Patch-1.jpg

That was the first year NFL was on TV in Australia.

(1 hour of a game and highlights of the rest on a Tuesday night).

Then it went to 90 min when the playoffs began, and I adopted the Patriots as my team.

Up until 5 years ago, they let me down at every turn.

There were the 1-15 and 2-14 seasons.

There were drug problems

There was a situation with female reporter(s) in the locker room.

The Pats were a laughing stock most of the years between that 1985 season and 1993 when they changed to the new logo.

There wasn't much football success, they were only in the news for the wrong reasons.

That logo and uniform represents where the Pats have come from, not only the one season in 30 odd, that went well for them, but the other seasons of coming last, of picking the wrong guys in the draft, and when they did pick the right guy they traded him away.

It's Scott Zolak, Ivory Joe Hunter and Leonard Russell.

It's Hugh Millen, Vincent Brown and Marv Cook.

Wear it with pride Pats. And thank the God you pray to that you are part of this Pats team, and not those Pats teams.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

That logo and uniform represents where the Pats have come from, not only the one season in 30 odd, that went well for them, but the other seasons of coming last, of picking the wrong guys in the draft, and when they did pick the right guy they traded him away.

It is also the uniform of John Hannah, Steve Grogran, and Andre Tippett.

It's Gino Cappelletti, Steve Nelson, and Sam Cunningham.

These guys and many, many more played the game with pride and distinction. They do not deserve to be tagged as losers because the franchise suffered a whole lot of losing seasons.

Don't forget that Pat Patriot represents these guys, the Snow Plow game, the '76 playoff team, the AFL years and many other great moments in Patriots history.

Plus, it is IVY Joe, not Ivory.

Marv Cook :D

It is also the uniform of John Hannah, Steve Grogran, and Andre Tippett.

It's Gino Cappelletti, Steve Nelson, and Sam Cunningham.

These guys and many, many more played the game with pride and distinction. They do not deserve to be tagged as losers because the franchise suffered a whole lot of losing seasons.

Don't forget that Pat Patriot represents these guys, the Snow Plow game, the '76 playoff team, the AFL years and many other great moments in Patriots history.

Plus, it is IVY Joe, not Ivory.

Marv Cook :D

Stand corrected on Ivy (a girl's name)

As for the other guys, I don't mean the guys were losers.

But they also didn't win an Super Bowls either.

Which guys like Joe Andruzzi have. And Antowain Smith. And Otis Smith.

I bet any of the 6 guys you named would swap their Pats careers with these guys.

What I was getting at was triumph over adversity.

They've been mostly terrible, with moments of joy, that, in themselves aren't much, but when taken in the context of a team who struggled to win much, they are great moments.

Snow Plow game, a great win because the team was so desperate to win something. And while it's always great to Squish the Fish, do you remember who won the return game in the playoffs?

And here they are now, we expect them to win each week. Even when half the team are on injured reserve.

I'd be really pleased to see them beat the Colts when wearing it.

And who says they can't?

Thing is, back when Pat Patriot was the logo, no-one would give them a chance.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

and the Dolphins should wear this style:

Fryar,Irving8.jpgMarino,Dan57.jpg

BgMack27 - you're half right; if they wanted to go back to 1985 that is what the Patriots would be wearing. However, the Dolphins would be wearing this uniform:

Marino,Dan15.jpg

EDIT: Sorry - I didn't see you're post about your all-time favorite uniforms until after I posted. I agree with you that the pre-navy Dolphins were better (and were better than the original "lets copy the Browns" look like the Marino photo I posted above); however, I like the 1994-96 version with the tackle-twill numbers a bit better. The only jersey with that "double border" numbers I really liked was the Fouts-era dark royal Chargers.

Wear it with pride Pats. And thank the God you pray to that you are part of this Pats team, and not those Pats teams.

Vincent Brown was one of the better players they had. He was a pretty good linebacker...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

True, but the AFC Championship game was played in Jan '86.

Krafty Bob Kraft is too much a marketing genius to have screwed this up.

Furthermore, since the Patriots beat the Dolphins to reach the Super Bowl, I think the whole thing is a perfect salute.

I'd love to see the Pats wear the throwbacks for a day again (like 02 in Detroit.) Given the amount of marketing they are putting into the throwbacks on the team ProShop, I would assume they were doing so, if I didn't know better.

Dave, I doubt they'd pull out the throwbacks for the game (I already asked lol). They have alotta throwback jerseys on the Pro Shop website, but for some ungodly reason, they refuse to wear them (except on Turkey Day in 02, like you mentioned).

I'd love to see the Pats wear the throwbacks for a day again (like 02 in Detroit.) Given the amount of marketing they are putting into the throwbacks on the team ProShop, I would assume they were doing so, if I didn't know better.

Dave, I doubt they'd pull out the throwbacks for the game (I already asked lol). They have alotta throwback jerseys on the Pro Shop website, but for some ungodly reason, they refuse to wear them (except on Turkey Day in 02, like you mentioned).

Oh, I know it won't happen. But I can hope. I love the current set, but the throwbacks would be awesome for a game or 2 a season. This is the right moment to pull them off, too. But like you said, knowing what I know, it ain't a happenin'.

spikes.jpg

Archived