League Logos

brinkeguthrie

And cornrows.

Just to be a total pain in the ass, the thread title is "League Logos." Technically, the two baseball league logos are thus:

NL_1980.gif

...and so:

AL_1973.gif

I think that these are superb and should be used more often. Perhaps instead of the "Harmon" patch, jerseys could have the league's logo on the collar.

Unfortunately, we'll only be seeing less of those league logos, since the American League and National League officially went out of business as of 2000, a few years after the introduction of that abomination known as interleague play.

The offices of the League presidents were eliminated (the signature on the ball is now that of the Commissioner), and the umpiring crews were combined.

Nowadays, kids blithely talk about "Em-Ell-Bee". Makes a man weep.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I think those logos are far too complicated to go on a jersey's collar. The advantage of Harmon is that he reproduces well in small emboidery. Even the simplified versions they introduced a couple years back are too busy for that.

I do like including the league logos on dugout jackets:

pMLB2-1973968dt.jpgpMLB2-1974114dt.jpg

pMLB2-1973968dt.jpg

It is interesting that the Dodgers and/or MLB (sorry, the National League -- I'm no longer a kid :P ) say that the team was "established" in 1958. It is certainly different than the Indianapolis Colts recently celebrating their 50th anniversary when their first season in Indiana was in 1984. <_<:evil:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Wow, are those official on-field jackets? Or are they fashion items?

Either way, it is a bit odd to see "Est. 1958" on a licenced Major League Baseball product, since official baseball records acknowledge the continuity of the franchises. So, it really should say "Est. 1890".

Come to think of it, the "Est. 1903" on the Yankee jacket is wrong too, since that franchise began in 1901!

So, upon further reflection, it occurs to me that Major League Baseball is getting very sloppy about franchise histories when it comes to uniforms/logos -- the worst offender being the Washington Nationals, with "Established 1905" in their logo, despite this being wrong on several levels.

I wasn't aware of the Colts' celebration of 50 years, but I agree with it. A franchise is a continuous entity, regardless of any relocations or name-changes.

The NBA is fully aware of this reality, as evidenced by such things as the LA Clippers wearing Buffalo Braves unis.

The NFL, on the other hand, made the ahistorical determination to detach the Browns' history from the franchise after it moved to Baltimore. (Yeah, I know -- it was to forestall potential litigation. It still ain't right historically.) As a result of this, it won't be long before we have an entire generation of NFL fans outside of Cleveland and Baltimore who don't even know that the Ravens are the same franchise as the original Browns and that the current Browns are an expansion team.

So, I think it is refreshing to see that league's ackowledgement of the realities of franchise continuity in the case of the Colts' 50th anniversary.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Come to think of it, the "Est. 1903" on the Yankee jacket is wrong too, since that franchise began in 1901!

You're right. I didn't catch that one. Yet another team leaving Baltimore. :mad: Fortunately, I wasn't around to see that one (even though it feels that way sometimes).

The NBA is fully aware of this reality, as evidenced by such things as the LA Clippers wearing Buffalo Braves unis.

. . . and the Wizards wearing Baltimore Bullets uniforms.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Wow, are those official on-field jackets?  Or are they fashion items?

Those are on-field jackets.  They made their debut in the playoffs.  Not all teams available yet, but hopefully they will be.

The NFL, on the other hand, made the ahistorical determination to detach the Browns' history from the franchise after it moved to Baltimore.  (Yeah, I know -- it was to forestall potential litigation.  It still ain't right historically.) 

It may not have been right "historically," but it sure was right morally. The NFL made the right call.

It just occurred to me, in all the time I have watched pro sports- about 35 years or so- the logos for the NFL, NBA, and MLB have remained the same. The NHL has just done a refresh.

Isn't it time for a new look for those leagues?

No its not... there is NO NEED for it.

It just occurred to me, in all the time I have watched pro sports- about 35 years or so- the logos for the NFL, NBA, and MLB have remained the same.  The NHL has just done a refresh.

Isn't it time for a new look for those leagues?

No its not... there is NO NEED for it.

Seriously, Chiefster, would you please try to be more repectful to your fellow posters?

The last 3 posts of yours that I've read have all seemed very rude.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived