Devile Rays Cap ?

griffin128

You're kidding right?

That is obviously a Purple cap, it matches the purple on the sleeve.

I can see that...but being that I live in Phx I have seen every combo this team has worn since its inception, and I can assure you that they never wore anything like this. It's just a bad quality picture

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're kidding right?

I can see that...but being that I live in Phx I have seen every combo this team has worn since its inception, and I can assure you that they never wore anything like this. It's just a bad quality picture

The problem with the bad photo color quality theory is that usually if the color is weird it will show up as black. Like I could see if it looked black but we all knew it was really purple. I can't image the opposite, black appearing as PURPLE?. And not a bright purple like that.

You're kidding right?

It's not a bad quality picture. It's a purple hat with a teal brim. It's from a Topps baseball card. Also, I remember them selling these hats when the DBacks first entered the league.

It's not a bad quality picture. It's a purple hat with a teal brim. It's from a Topps baseball card. Also, I remember them selling these hats when the DBacks first entered the league.

Well, a Purple cap with a Turquoise bill didn't ever exist in any official MLB Style Guide - that pic I provided is from the 1998 Guide, I own the 1999 and 2000 Guides, and I have access to the 2001 through 2006 online Guides.

In addition, I attended a game in 1998 at the BOB, and spent a lot of time in the Team Shop (I even went back the next day), and don't remember a cap like that. I probably would have bought one. I DID buy an all-Purple cap, and the Black cap with the Turquoise bill (I only own three caps in total!).

It is from a Topps card, which I have in my collection, and it is touched up. The rest of the card looks a little "off," if you know what I mean. I have done lots of research on this topic as well, and being a DBacks fan since the beginning (my one year spent at ASU makes me count, right?) I can say that they never wore this cap. I am trying to find pictures of all combos they have worn, home and away, and hope to have some definitive stuff soon.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

I just don't understand why Topps would airbrush something like that? I mean what purpose does that serve? Would they just decide one day, " huh, the reds would look cool with a yellow hat. Let's do it!" It doesn't make sense.

I have an Eric Hinske card where it's the Jays new uniform but everything black is blue... so yes, they do that.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I just don't understand why Topps would airbrush something like that? I mean what purpose does that serve? Would they just decide one day, " huh, the reds would look cool with a yellow hat. Let's do it!" It doesn't make sense.

I have an Eric Hinske card where it's the Jays new uniform but everything black is blue... so yes, they do that.

The first time I ever noticed it was on a Moises Alou "Cubs" card -- something was off right away, and after closer inspection, you could tell it was just an Astros road made to look like a Cubs road. It really wasn't even close to correct.

I used to have a Topps card (maybe I still have it, but I'd really have to look) from around 1977 where the entire image is a drawing/painting. I believe it was a Rick Wise Mariners card, but I can't remember for sure.

I couldn't find the one I was thinking of, but this looks like it might fit the bill as well. I can't tell about the face, but the hat is definitely airbrushed. On the one I am thinking of, however, there can be no doubt.

13_1_b.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The mets indeed had a white cap. They wore it handful of times then retired it because some players though it made them look like ice cream men with a whole white uni.

And here it is:

gilkey.jpg

Caption: Bernard Gilkey in the 1997 ice cream cap and jersey.

In retrospect, Bernard Gilkey really wasn't that good of a player.

His downfall came when he saw the flying spaceship in Men in Black and the ball hit him in the head. He was never the same after that. Where is he now. Maybe he actually joined the MIB as Agent B.

Archived