Panthers Logo?

SouthSidePride

....OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR it may just be a little soda company making a "similar but not identicle" logo because they don't have the rights to the official NFL one....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Another possibility is that they did not buy the rights from NFL Properties to use the logo as I do not see the NFL shield. Often when local businesses do this they will either have no logo, a generic football theme, or a made up logo that's similar (although the NFL frowns upon this).

Usually its done when a local pizza shop, or bank or something wants to give out some promotional item with the local teams' season posted on it (like a fridge magnet with the businesses phone # for example). I say this because the sign in the picture has the team's 1996 schedule listed on the side, and the team had already chosen and presented the team's one and only logo to the NFL more than a year before that.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

....OOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR it may just be a little soda company making a "similar but not identicle" logo because they don't have the rights to the official NFL one....

Most likely. It's a small company that's competeing with Coke & Pepsi, but doens't have the ad dollars to get licensing like they do.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

That can't be right. . . they couldn't use the full Carolina Panthers name or even Panthers with something bearing any resemblance to the NFL team, it would still be illegal. And even if Sun Drop is a smaller company, I still can't imagine them pulling something like that. Does the box appear to have a schedule on it? and does that say 1995 or 6?

Maybe the radio station covering the team had its own logo before the team launched its first season? or even possibly afterwards? This one has me scratching my head.

forumbanner-bno.jpg

i know it very well!

that's the logo the broadcast division of the Panthers used during the first home season in Charlotte. in '95 home games were at Memorial Stadium in Clemson SC while "Carolinas Stadium" was being finished. it was later renamed Ericsson Stadium, and is now known as Bank of America Stadium. 1110WBT-AM (then) was the radio home of the Panthers and that was the logo on all of their promotional items. Sun-Drop, a hugely popular local citrus flavored drink (think Mt Dew/Mellow Yello), was a promotional sponsor for the radio broadcast then. it's bottled in next-door Gastonia/Gaston County.

a few years ago the team switched radio partners and moved over to the FM dial at 99.7WRFX-FM "the fox" (home to John Boy and Billy for anyone who gets their show in syndication). but last year moved back to BT, who now simulcasts on 1110-AM and 99.3-FM. the old CBS am station is one of the strongest am broadcasts on the east coast and reception strecthes from "maine to miami and canada to cuba".

the broadcast crew and personalities are owned/run by the team, so it is odd as to why they wouldn't use the official logos that we did have at that time (same ones as today), but that was what was used for the team broadcast logo purposes.

i haven't seen that in many years. good find!

side note: i have a "collectors set" of Coca-Cola/Inaugural Ericsson Stadium bottles in the 6pack box.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

mmmmm....Sun Drop B)

*shudders* Oh man, was Sun Drop one of my first "Welcome to North Carolina, Yankee" moments when I got to college. The guy on our floor we called "Cowboy" had a curiously large supply of Sun Drop. He didn't graduate.

Makes you long for Mello Yello - and screw that fancy high-end stuff, Mountain Dew.

Actually, the bottom of the barrel is/was the President's Choice stuff they sold at Harris Teeter - Mountain Thunder (IIRC?).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

That can't be right. . . they couldn't use the full Carolina Panthers name or even Panthers with something bearing any resemblance to the NFL team, it would still be illegal. And even if Sun Drop is a smaller company, I still can't imagine them pulling something like that. Does the box appear to have a schedule on it? and does that say 1995 or 6?

Maybe the radio station covering the team had its own logo before the team launched its first season? or even possibly afterwards? This one has me scratching my head.

actually it does have a schedule year... look in the upper right hand side, u can clearly see a "1996 schedule" printed on the 12-pack

uofh2aa1.pnghawaiinokaoieu8.png

461177213572il8.png801177214515jw7.png

My favorite saying... "Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, so therefore i am perfect!!!"

This isn't the first bastardization of the Carolina Panthers in merchandising.

Any one remember the "Charlotte Panthers" in Madden 64?

OT, but as a side towards videogame inconsistancies... NHL98 uses the Charlotte skyline when showing Carolina Hurricanes

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

This isn't the first bastardization of the Carolina Panthers in merchandising.

Any one remember the "Charlotte Panthers" in Madden 64?

Madden 64 had an NFLPA, but no an NFL liscence. That explains "Charlotte" instead of "Carolina," because Carolina isn't actually a city, whereas Charlotte is. If I recall correctly, there were New Jersey teams in Madden 93, but I could be mistaken.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived