Chicago Wolves Mardi Gras Jerseys

Max Power

I don't pay much attention to the AHL, but it seems like some of their jerseys are approaching the absurdity level of the ABA (see thread on Milwaukee Admirals plaid jerseys)

Did anyone see the ridiculous jerseys the Wolves were wearing last night? They were Mardi Gras inspired. I guess if you're going to cross the line... you might as well go all the way over. To be honest, I find the jerseys to be so hidious that they're kind of appealing (Disclaimer: I proudly wear a 1983 White Sox jersey to all Sox games). Props to the Wolves for raising money for Hurricane victims, as many people have long since forgotten about them.

I couldn't find a pic, but here's a link that shows them: http://www.chicagowolves.com/html/community.cfm

My family are Alpha Wolf season ticket holders. Last nite, y younger brother and Mom went to the game. She told me they looked like a box of Crayola Crayons.

They are unique. Not the greatest jersey design the Wolves have come up with, but definitley not as horid as the Plaid Admirals jerseys. :puke:

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

My family are Alpha Wolf season ticket holders. Last nite, y younger brother and Mom went to the game. She told me they looked like a box of Crayola Crayons.

They are unique. Not the greatest jersey design the Wolves have come up with, but definitley not as horid as the Plaid Admirals jerseys. :puke:

From here on out, please refer to them as the "Plaidmirals".

Max, I echo your props to the Wolves on hurricane relief.

They wore those jerseys last night? That's a little early, as Mardi Gras is February 28th this year... Although Carnival season technically always starts on January 6th (Feast of the Epiphany, a.k.a. King's Day), the true Mardi Gras season (i.e. parades) doesn't begin unitl a couple of weeks before Mardi Gras.

And just for the unititiated, the term "Mardi Gras" technically refers to only one day-- Fat Tuesday. But it is also loosely used to refer to the whole carnival time celebration. Sort of like Christmas-- you hear people refer to "Mardi Gras Day" and "Christmas Day", which are redundant, but seems necessary because the holiday name is now also used to refer to the season associated with those holidays.

Thus endeth the lesson....

It is what it is.

I remember the Mississippi Sea Wolves would always pull out Mardi Gras uniforms whenever they lucked up and played a game during the Mardi Gras festivities. Ah, good times those were, going to the bootleg Mississippi Mardi Gras parades. :P

But yeah, those are nice too.

Yikes - those are bad - sorry, not very festive. The hat on the wolf is really bad. :blink:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Yep, the players did toss out beads to the crowd before the game. Unlike the Gliebermans (who will soon be overpaying for Marcus Vick and Maurice Clarett,) though, at no point was anyone in the stands required to show off their goodies.

These jerseys actually came off a lot better on the ice than I thought they would. Some details you can't see from the available pictures: One shoulder patch featured the Wolf logo in a Mardi Gras Mask, while the other had the state of Louisiana with the Red Cross over it (think '80s Saints.) The numbering was done in the standard Wolves block font, purple on yellow on green. Names on the back were yellow on a purple nameplate. All in all, the set looked goofy, loud, and tacky, but it came off really well in its own way. Kind of like New Orleans itself. The only issue I had was with the white helmets - but this may have been a concession to Omaha, who wore black helmets for the game.

After seeing all that yellow and purple and the crowns on the front, it made perfect sense when Billy Gardner, the Wolves' color guy, asked "Where's Rogie Vachon?"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I haven't been to a Wolves game since I was 8, but when I still followed them (or any hockey for that matter), they frequently wore novelty/seasonal unis. I remember I went to a game they played in Tye-Dye, for what I'm guessing was a 70s night (not sure, it was 8 years ago). When I think Mardi Gras, Rosemont Ill. doesn't come to mind, but it's for a good cause...

The Wolves actually have a decent page chronicling their uniform history:

Chicago Wolves Uniforms

Pretty much dead-on, save for some font issues. The only major inaccuracy I spot is in the Millennium jerseys, which actually had shoulder inserts, one burgundy and one gold, that came down to around the elbows, much like the old Lightning alts.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ouch. And ouch.

Hey, remember all those seasons when the Wolves would kind of idle their way through the first half, turn it on after the All-Star break, and end up going deep into the playoffs, winning 3 championships along the way?

Yeah, well, that's probably not gonna happen this year. Atlanta's injuries, general suckitude, and the AHL's further restrictions on veteran players have really hurt this team. Call this a "rebuilding" year. Or something. But hey, how many championships does your team have since 1994, Triscuit boy?

Archived