Edmonton's Klondike Days gets re-branded

officeglenn

Well, after 44 years of going under the name "Klondike Days," Edmonton's annual summer festival has been officially re-branded as "Capital EX": Edmonton Sun

If you click on the link, you can get the jist the logo they'll be using for this year. Reaction is pretty mixed around here; the Sun seems to think it's for the better, while the Edmonton Journal is lamenting the passage of K-Days.

Capital EX???? WTF!??!! what does that even mean?! Capital excitement?? for what???

I HATE this name. it makes no sense, the logo looks cheap and slapped together and there was no reason to change the name of this historical event!!

The article mentions that organizers were "tired" of the "kooky and cheesy" gold rush theme...hello, that's the cities history!!!! are they mental?

oh my god i'm so glad i moved from edmonton, the people who run that place have no idea what's going on.

:cursing:

gagner3.png

Capital EX???? WTF!??!! what does that even mean?! Capital excitement?? for what???

I was guessing "Capital EXhibition." But I could be wrong.

BTW, there's a much better look at the logo on their new website at http://www.capitalex.ca . Gotta love it, though, when the title bar on the site reads "Welcome to Edmonton's Captial Ex".

From what I have heard, Northlands (the group that runs the ex) took a long time to get to this name change. They looked at calling it Edmonton-something and Alberta-something, but both those choices were too limiting (It's for the Edmonton region, or the Capital region as it is referred to, not just the city) or presumptuous (Alberta obviously being more than the Edmonton region).

They settled on CapitalEx, for the region. Ex stands for Exposition, and everyone I know has always gone to the "ex" when we talked about going to Klondike Days, so it's not much different from how I've always referred to it.

It's also more than just a renaming - they're changing or adding other things as well, so it more like a renovation.

It's been called Klondike Days for over 40 years, but the fair has been in Edmonton since the 1890s and has had differnet themes. As much as I liked the association with the Klondike theme, for me it always sounded like our way of trying too much to be like the Calgary Stampede. We can't compete with that. It was time for a change. Whether it's the right change or not, they aren't going to change from CapitalEx anytime soon - they put too much effort into it. A week after I heard this, it's not as bad as I originally felt it was.

As much as I liked the association with the Klondike theme, for me it always sounded like our way of trying too much to be like the Calgary Stampede. We can't compete with that. It was time for a change. Whether it's the right change or not, they aren't going to change from CapitalEx anytime soon - they put too much effort into it. A week after I heard this, it's not as bad as I originally felt it was.

Finally--someone from Edmonton admits they can't compete! :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

As much as I liked the association with the Klondike theme, for me it always sounded like our way of trying too much to be like the Calgary Stampede.Β  We can't compete with that.Β  It was time for a change.Β  Whether it's the right change or not, they aren't going to change from CapitalEx anytime soon - they put too much effort into it.Β  A week after I heard this, it's not as bad as I originally felt it was.

I need new pants!! :hockeysmiley::P

With the history of the Stampede :) Did I notice 5 Stanley Cups and 12 (or is it 13) Grey Cups for the Flames and Stamps? And, of course, I'm just ribbing ya - built in city rivalry aside (that cannot be controlled - it's there at birth), I love Calgary.

I think they needed to get away from the historical theme because it works better for Calgary. The fair's popular, but it needed to do something to go to the next level. They're supposedly getting "big name" musicians (not Twisted Sister) to be there.

"There's a good deal of griping from a whack of people who aren't keen on the new name "

That?s a lot of colloquialisms for the opening line of a news story.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

Β 

ΓΔΒ!

Β 

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Okay as a Edmontonian i can honestly say i hate all Calgarians.

Edmonton has a better hockey team and CFL team.

Who won the grey cup? oh yaaaaaaaaaaa the Eskimos.

Don't even try to come up with some lame response to this its the TRUTH!

I like the Capital Ex name. It makes sense. Klondike Days needed a change.

As for it not being able to compete with the Stampede.... IT'S THE SAME THING!

You morons obviously are too retarded to realize that the rides from The Stampede go right to the Ex.

oilcountry.gif

You morons obviously are too retarded to realize that the rides from The Stampede go right to the Ex.

Which just proves there's something in the water up there... :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well, the midway is the same thing - the entire fair however is not. The Stampede and CapitalEx are much more than the rides. K-Days had the King of the Klondike, Klondike Kate, Bathtub Derby, River Rafting, etc. Calgary actually has a stampede during that time. They're just better at marketing it, and have the history of having it called the Stampede for a much longer time.

silly canadian...everyone knows the flames are better than oilers

worldchampsll1.png

silly canadian...everyone knows the flames are better than oilers

He speaks the truth...

Last night I was watching some Olympic coverage and saw a commercial for West Edmonton Mall and it shows how terrible the Edmonton area is for branding. They have started referring to WEM as "The greatest INDOOR show on earth." :wacko: This seems to be very much a "Me, too" move considering how long the Calgary Stampede has been known as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth." How very sad...

Last night I was watching some Olympic coverage and saw a commercial for West Edmonton Mall and it shows how terrible the Edmonton area is for branding.Β  They have started referring to WEM as "The greatest INDOOR show on earth."Β  :wacko: This seems to be very much a "Me, too" move considering how long the Calgary Stampede has been known as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth."Β  How very sad...

WEM's been using that for a few years now. I saw it more as a take on the Ringling Brothers circus "The Greatest Show on Earth" (which, if I'm not mistaken, came before the Stamepde's use of the term - so it can be argued that Calgary's just borrowing the term as well :)). It's still the largest mall in the world, it's way more than a shopping place - and it's indoors. And it's known world wide (like the Stampede).

I do realize that Calgary is "the place to be" right now and "can do no wrong" (according to the rest of Canada and the world), but Edmonton is not the boring little hick town that wants so badly to be like Calgary. The city does have an image problem, but that's mostly marketing - i.e. how many people know that Edmonton now has a population over 1 million. The two cities are very similar, but then again very different. Maybe it's about time both cities took this into consideration and began to work together. They're starting to, but at the city government level. They're also co-bidding for the World Juniors, so it's a step in the right direction.

Sport's rivalries aside (which will never change :)), both cities would benefit from working together.

Archived