Sweden beats USA!

pollux

From TSN:

Sweden has advanced to the women's hockey final after a 3-2 shootout win against the United States. It's the first time the American team will not play for the gold medal since women's hockey was accepted as an Olympic sport in 1998. More to follow...

Well, domination from USA and Canada is gone... :flagcanada:

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

From TSN:

Sweden has advanced to the women's hockey final after a 3-2 shootout win against the United States. It's the first time the American team will not play for the gold medal since women's hockey was accepted as an Olympic sport in 1998. More to follow...

It's also the first time there won't be a Canada-USA final in any international tournament. Might be good for the overall growth of the sport.

Almost a carbon copy of what happened in another major international sport -- men's basketball. The USA is slow to recognize that other countries are on the same level as they are.

This team IS very young -- and it showed. There wasn't much leadership that used to be there from the likes of Cammi Granato and the others who are now missing from the 98/02 teams.

And their puck movement -- especially on the power play -- was excutiatingly slow. The Swedish defenders got to the intended recipient before Ruggiero's passes did.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Its a Canada gold medal...they can solve Sweeden and will get through Finland easily. They are playing to win, and have the talent to do so.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Its a Canada gold medal...they can solve Sweeden and will get through Finland easily. They are playing to win, and have the talent to do so.

Nothing is ever guaranteed....

The US thought the same way about Sweden too...

With that said...here's hoping Tre Kronor shake up the balance of power in women's hockey fully...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The is a Swee-de Miracle On Ice...

Finished the complaints by the american players...

Go Canucks Go :flagcanada:

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

The is a Swee-de Miracle On Ice...

Finished the complaints by the american players...

Go Canucks Go :flagcanada:

How do Canadians put up with Quebecois being countrymen? I wouldn't be able to stand it....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Man I didn't see that one coming! That's nuts. As an American I'm pissed, but for the growth of the sport I'm not. You never want to get into a shootout in the Olypics because those can always go one way or the other. Congrats to Sweden.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Almost a carbon copy of what happened in another major international sport -- men's basketball. The USA is slow to recognize that other countries are on the same level as they are.

This team IS very young -- and it showed. There wasn't much leadership that used to be there from the likes of Cammi Granato and the others who are now missing from the 98/02 teams.

And their puck movement -- especially on the power play -- was excutiatingly slow. The Swedish defenders got to the intended recipient before Ruggiero's passes did.

Did you watch the game?

This was not about the US being slow to recongize there are better countries out there it was not about us playing poorly it was about the Sweedish Goalie Kim Martin standing on her absolute freaking head!

In regulation the USA outshot Sweden 31-14 and for the game it was 39-18 after OT, where she made some unbelivable saves.

The US performed poorly on the shoot out but that was because Martin was likely in their heads.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Did you watch the game?

This was not about the US being slow to recongize there are better countries out there it was not about us playing poorly it was about the Sweedish Goalie Kim Martin standing on her absolute freaking head!

In regulation the USA outshot Sweden 31-14 and for the game it was 39-18 after OT, where she made some unbelivable saves.

The US performed poorly on the shoot out but that was because Martin was likely in their heads.

Thank you Tank....

That's exactly the point I was going to make.

Martin was un-be-f*king-lievable for the Swedes in net. She alone kept them in the game, much like Archie Irbe did for Latvia against the men.

In a one-and-done tournament, much like NCAA hoops, the hot hand can make or break a team. In this case, a goalie playing their "A" game can end up sending a team home much earlier than it expected and with the results they weren't looking for.

The US didn't lose the game...Sweden flat out WON it.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I'm not denying that Martin was tremendous. No one position in team sports tilts the balance of competition more than the hot goaltender in hockey.

Heck, a hot goalie can tilt a best-of-7 series. That impact is increased exponentially in a one-and-done situation.

That being said (and I can't say this next part without sounding like I'm downplaying what Martin did) -- but the quantity of U.S. shots was higher than the quality.

My comments were triggered more by the "how could this happen?" commentary that polluted the NBC telecast. Their game analyst seemed to still have a "all we have to do is show up" mentality.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

From TSN:

4-0 Canada after 2 periods...I think it may be safe to say it will be a Sweedish-Canada final...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I'll agree with what NJTank and others have said, which is basically a hot hand in a single-elimination tournament can beat ANYBODY. I compare it to when the Ducks made their run from the 7th seed to the Stanley Cup finals, mainly because JS Giguiere turned into Brickwall Man for a month. So yeah, you never know about these single elimination tournaments.

Why do we get so upset and think its someone's fault when we lose something? (I understand upset, in fact I'm glad people are watching women's hockey, but I mean the blame game)

Heaven forbid we have eat some humble pie in this country. There are other teams that can win in all sports. Sometimes the US just gets beat. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault.

As an American, I feel about ready to hand Finland the bronze, they deserve it. We are not good enough to medal this year.

(And on the men's side, I'm still trying to figure out how we're going to make it out of preliminaries with none of the best three American goalies playing a minute!)

LvZYtbZ.png

not to be un-american but really kinda hope the USa doesn't even make it to the medal round so finally we can see that older players like Chelios and Weight and such aren't helping us anymore. We need to start looking to the youth side of the mens hockey. Theres reason Slovakia and Russia are winning games cause they have good young players in thier system.

and I have to say one thing. Thomas Griess will soon be a star in the NHL. Yet another sharks goalie who will be a star. Damn you SJ!

spacer.png

Archived