Look What # Jose Lima's Wearing...

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mets create mess giving Lima No. 42

Lima had worn the number before the league retired it - which would allow him to continue wearing it. He likes the number because he won with it. Which is perfectly fine, but should leave him open to accepting another number. Especially since he has had to do that for the last four years because other teams denied him the opportunity. (And, for the record, it's questionable how he acquired the number in the first place since he said Houston assigned it to him in 1997 - apparently a few months before the ceremony honoring Robinson.)

There's your reason. I guess if you wore #42 anytime in the past, you can wear it again.

6uXNWAo.png

I don't think it's a big deal. I'm not a fan of retiring numbers throughout leagues.

I second that. I can totally understand the importance of what Jackie Robinson did for the game of baseball, but to see Robinson's #42 retired by teams he never played for or teams that didn't even exist when he played like Colorado and Tampa Bay seems like a bit much.

6uXNWAo.png

I'm also against leaguewide 42 retirement, but the Mets are one of the two teams that should be retiring it. Dodgers, and New York (NL) in its new form. So yeah bad move Mets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm also against leaguewide 42 retirement, but the Mets are one of the two teams that should be retiring it. Dodgers, and New York (NL) in its new form. So yeah bad move Mets.

Well Mooo Vaughn wore 42 from 2002-2003 with the Mets

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well Mooo Vaughn wore 42 from 2002-2003 with the Mets

True, but Mo Vaughn ALWAYS wore 42. He did so with Boston and Anaheim before NY. The rule stated you could keep the number if you had it before the retirement but it wouldn't be issued again.

mainescarf.png

I can totally understand the importance of what Jackie Robinson did for the game of baseball, but to see Robinson's #42 retired by teams he never played for or teams that didn't even exist when he played like Colorado and Tampa Bay seems like a bit much.

One need only look at a team photo of Colorado or Tampa Bay to see what impact Jackie Robinson had on those clubs.

I don't like retiring a number league-wide either, but this one I support. This one was earned.

At the time of the number's retirement throughout the league, I thought there were only three players who were wearing at and would be allowed to continue to do so: Mo Vaughn (Red Sox), Mariano Rivera (Yankees) and Butch Huskey (Mets). But since then, I know I've seen a few other players wearing #42, so I don't know what the rule is about it anymore.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

....and today this photo of him surfaced:

6c50625a-7e6d-44e4-b020-65fae50a4e05.jpgWith the caption

New York Mets pitcher Jose Lima, of the Dominican Republic, wears number 99 as he bunts during baseball spring training in Port St. Lucie Fla., Sunday Feb. 19, 2006. Lima, who previously wore Jackie Robinson's number 42, had to change as Robinson's number has been retired from all baseball. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
So much for that...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

None of this is as bad as the Miami Heat having two retired numbers. #23 for Michael Jordan (who never played in Miami) and #13 for Dan Marino (who didn't play basketball).

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Expos banner at least makes a certain amount of sense - a banner honoring a city's shared sports heritage is one thing. Retiring numbers from players in other sports (which the Canadiens did not do) is quite another.

Retiring the number of an opposing player is another thing still. And quite possibly the dumbest retired number quirk there is. Dumber than the Seahawks retiring #12. Dumber than the Indians retiring #455.

Oh, and there was at least one other player who wore #42 after it was retired - Scott Karl, of the Brewers. He was grandfathered as well.

Archived