San Antonio Marlins?

RickV

<_< I've also read the San Antonio temp ballpark plan is Monterrey MX, much like OKC hosting the NBA Hornets to finagle a franchise. Que viva beisbol Mexico! I feel for ya BlueFish Fans; you DO have 2 WS wins to enjoy. Q: Why can't even ONE MLB team make in in FLA? A: There's presently no retractoroof baseall park in FLA? I hates ta bring up the "C" contraction word, but . . . it seems there's a finite # of N. American cities that can host an MLB team, a few present MLB cities included. Especially if MLB is hands - off on Las Vegas as a franchise site, which would be GREAT, if anyon'd like me to keep a' rantin' about THAT. :therock: Guess it's tough making folks fork up the $ for 81 count 'em games a year.

Keep the faith FishFans!

Most abbreviations in one post...ever :P

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The main advocate for baseball in San Antonio, not to mention a major force behind most pro sports in S.A., County Judge Nelson Wolff, has repeatedly stated that San Antonio would look to cooperate with the Austin market for the team. So if they do, somehow, move here, they would most likely play at UT's baseball stadium.

Yet as a San Antonian, I can say that baseball is not the most favorite sport here...third favorite at best. The pedigree that we would like is along with the Marlins franchise, yet I can't help but think in how in the world we could always fill a 40,000 baseball stadium.

GR30a5H.png

Um without stating the obvious couldn't the AlamoDome be configured for baseball? Also unless the dollar to peso gap narrows greatly there will never be a professional team in any sport in Mexico. They would take in peso's and pay in dollars. That would make the Canadian situation look healthy. I think that San Juan is the best candidate to move to. For a few reasons Dollars to Dollars, and could be / should be marketed as a Caribbean team not just Puerto Rico.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Um without stating the obvious couldn't the AlamoDome be configured for baseball? Also unless the dollar to peso gap narrows greatly there will never be a professional team in any sport in Mexico. They would take in peso's and pay in dollars. That would make the Canadian situation look healthy. I think that San Juan is the best candidate to move to. For a few reasons Dollars to Dollars, and could be / should be marketed as a Caribbean team not just Puerto Rico.

Not really. There's no upper deck seats just behind the backstop, no matter which corner you use.

The main advocate for baseball in San Antonio, not to mention a major force behind most pro sports in S.A., County Judge Nelson Wolff, has repeatedly stated that San Antonio would look to cooperate with the Austin market for the team. So if they do, somehow, move here, they would most likely play at UT's baseball stadium.

Yet as a San Antonian, I can say that baseball is not the most favorite sport here...third favorite at best. The pedigree that we would like is along with the Marlins franchise, yet I can't help but think in how in the world we could always fill a 40,000 baseball stadium.

Slightly off topic, but is there something about Texas politics that the rest of us should know that makes municipal judges (this guy, Roy Hofheinz in Houston in the 50s and 60s) powerful figures in attracting sports franchises? <_<

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Not really. There's no upper deck seats just behind the backstop, no matter which corner you use.

Thanks. i was looking at the seating diagram and it looked like a tight fit. I think the ideas brought up on the board about them playing in multiple locations while a stadium is being built would never fly with the union. In the end it will be about who can pony up the most cash for Bud and his band of civic leaches. So get out the checkbook all you tax payers in potential baseball cities!

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Theres like no big cities within 100 miles of SA

You realize that San Antonio is the 9th largest city in the country by population, right? You also realize that Austin is 80 miles away and is the 16th largest city in the country, right? Metro San Antonio has about 1.8 people; metro Austin-Round Rock has another 1.4 million (although 80 miles is a huge span to realistically consider one market area for a team; that's Philadelphia to Baltimore, or Philadelphia to Newark NJ).

So there are, like, 2 cities you've overlooked, roughly equal in population to Dallas and Baltimore. The important thing is you did some research before posting. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

You can't blame Loria for the terrible attendance that the Marlins have had.

In what other city does a World Championship club rank near the bottom of the majors (not just the league, the majors!) in bodies at the stadium?

Florida has been nothing but a disaster for MLB. Shame, too - I really liked putting a team in Miami. But this is ridiculous.

You can't blame Loria for the terrible attendance that the Marlins have had.

In what other city does a World Championship club rank near the bottom of the majors (not just the league, the majors!) in bodies at the stadium?

Florida has been nothing but a disaster for MLB.  Shame, too - I really liked putting a team in Miami.  But this is ridiculous.

1) Lack of stability...they built a championship team in 97 and tore it apart (this is still one of the reasons people fail to committ to this team. For the next 5 years bad ownerships in Huizenga and Henry (and now Loria) sold players off to help the financial bottomline. For the past five seasons there have been rumors of the team either relocating or being contracted. It's hard to root for a team when they may not be there in a few years. Even during the 2003 season the talk was "are they moving?" or "are they going to have another firesale?".

2) Stadium...They play in a football stadium out in the suburbs a good 35-45 minutes from the core baseball fans in Miami (and the people who can afford season tickets). This is one of the reasons the Marlins wanted to move to the Orange Bowl (large latin community surrounding the stadium and the very high income neighborhoods near the beaches). They play under the constant threat of rain, 84 degree weather (at night) in horrible humidity.

TV ratings broke records for the 3rd straight season last year BTW.

3) Fans....lets face it Miami isn't the greatest sports market. The Canes regularly play in a half empty stadium once they lose their first game.

BUT to put all the blames on the fans shows the lack of knowledge towards the situation. EVERYONE has had a part in making this market a failure. MLB, Huizenga, Henry, Loria, Miami politicos and the fans.

I still believe if they can somehow get a stadium built down here this market has the chance to be a very good one. After all they were doing fine in attendance pre-1997 firesale.

1997 | 2003

Don't pack the moving trucks yet.....

County wants a local hook for Marlins

Web Posted: 03/06/2006 12:00 AM CST

Tom Orsborn

Express-News Staff Writer

Any potential deal with the Florida Marlins to relocate to San Antonio must include the promise that the baseball team seek local investors, County Judge Nelson Wolff said Sunday.

"I've talked to them about it," said Wolff, who is leading efforts to lure the Marlins to San Antonio. "We didn't go over how much the local investors would own, but it has to be a significant piece.

"There won't be a deal without it."

New York art dealer Jeffrey Loria bought the Marlins in 2002 for $158.5 million from John Henry, who now owns the Boston Red Sox. Loria owns 90 percent of the Marlins, according to published reports.

Wolff said his first conversation with Marlins president David Samson included discussion of the ownership situation. Samson is also Loria's stepson.

"For me to go to the voters for approval of a stadium, there has to be people attached to the Marlins from San Antonio and not just an owner who lives in New York and does not have a feel for San Antonio," Wolff said. "David knows that."

Asked if he has identified possible local investors, Wolff said: "There is an interest, let's just put it that way."

A Marlins spokesman said Samson would "encourage and expect to have" local ownership in the club should it move to San Antonio.

Wolff is expected to present the Miami-based team with a stadium-financing plan this week that calls for an extension of the hotel and car rental taxes voters approved in 1999 to pay to build the AT&T Center.

If negotiations between the county and the Marlins intensify, Wolff said he would try to put the measure on the November ballot.

But it won't get to that point unless the Marlins prove they are serious about attracting South Texas investors.

"Local ownership is a key," Wolff said. "I'm not saying it all has to be local ownership, but a significant part has to be, so we believe we have some loyalty to the city."

Samson visited San Antonio in early December, meeting with Wolff and Mayor Phil Hardberger. The Marlins also have toured Portland, Ore., and talked with officials from Norfolk, Va.

Wolff said Major League Baseball has given its blessing to the Marlins' talks with Bexar County. The Marlins say they would prefer to stay in South Florida, but stadium talks there have stalled.

The Marlins have a lease at Dolphins Stadium, home of Miami's NFL franchise, through 2007. The deal includes a series of one-year options that run through 2010.

"Major League Baseball won't come down here and invest a lot of money if they don't think it will work here," Wolff said. "Early indications are they do think it will work."

Wolff said that stands in contrast to the NFL's efforts to prevent the New Orleans Saints from moving to San Antonio, which NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue characterized as a market too small for a league franchise.

Hurricane Katrina forced the Saints to spend last season in San Antonio, where they played three home games at the Alamodome before returning to Louisiana.

"The NFL never had a high opinion of us," Wolff said. "A lot of it, I think, has to do with the Cowboys having such a strong hold on this market. Hell, everyone is a Cowboys fanatic here."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories...al.832ca6a.html

This same situation had a hand in killing the stadium deal in Miami. Developer Frank Codina and Venezuelan media mogul Gustavo Cisneros (and his 5 billion dollar fortune) showed interest in buying a percentage of the Marlins and Loria and the midget turned him away.

1997 | 2003

3) Fans....lets face it Miami isn't the greatest sports market. The Canes regularly play in a half empty stadium once they lose their first game.

BUT to put all the blames on the fans shows the lack of knowledge towards the situation. EVERYONE has had a part in making this market a failure. MLB, Huizenga, Henry, Loria, Miami politicos and the fans.

I'm sorry, but a team that sits at the bottom of the Leagues in attendance the year they win the World Series is pathetic.

Yes, I blame the fans. If they stay away from the ballpark during a Championship run in such numbers, they aren't fans.

Are you telling me that the fans were worried about their ability to retain players and repeat, instead of enjoying the championship?

MLB in Florida has been a failure, plain and simple. Time to cut losses.

Judge Wolff's stumping for the franchise-shift aside, the Marlins chances of actually moving to San Antonio are equal to my chances of having lunch with Monica Belluci this afternoon.

Rummaging around in the papers atop his desk, searching for his day-planner.

Now, where did I put my day-planner? Ah... here it is. Let's see... Monday... 1:30 PM... Lunch...

Nope! Seems Ms. Belluci was unavailable this afternoon, as I'm eating alone.

San Antonio will just have to make do with supporting the Missions of the Texas League.

I'm sorry, but a team that sits at the bottom of the Leagues in attendance the year they win the World Series is pathetic.

Yes, I blame the fans.  If they stay away from the ballpark during a Championship run in such numbers, they aren't fans.

Are you telling me that the fans were worried about their ability to retain players and repeat, instead of enjoying the championship?

MLB in Florida has been a failure, plain and simple.  Time to cut losses.

The year they win the World Series, or the year after? How are they supposed to enjoy a championship the year they win the Series? If that's the year you're talking about (2003), the Marlins weren't exactly world beaters until late July. And after 1997, I'm sure many Marlins fans were worried about the ability to retain players instead of enjoying the championship.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Judge Wolff's stumping for the franchise-shift aside, the Marlins chances of actually moving to San Antonio are equal to my chances of having lunch with Monica Belluci this afternoon.

Rummaging around in the papers atop his desk, searching for his day-planner.

Now, where did I put my day-planner? Ah... here it is. Let's see... Monday... 1:30 PM... Lunch...

Nope! Seems Ms. Belluci was unavailable this afternoon, as I'm eating alone.

San Antonio will just have to make do with supporting the Missions of the Texas League.

Kinda pisses me off, if they arent really interested then dont blow smoke up our rear ends. I know about playing one city off against the other to get what you want, but it really sucks.

metslogo_215.gif

Yes, I blame the fans. If they stay away from the ballpark during a Championship run in such numbers, they aren't fans.

MLB in Florida has been a failure, plain and simple. Time to cut losses.

But attendance went up 50% that year (and is up 110% since 2002) doesn't that count? I think it does considering the Marlins don't have a shiny new ballpark in the yuppie part of town like every other team. IMO, TV ratings are a better barometer for how healthy a market is (and as I mentioned above it's broken records each of the last three years). BTW studies done by the Marlins show that the chance of rain keeps an average of 4-5k people away from the ballpark every night. (For those who don't live in South Florida there is a chance of rain every other day).

Miami with a new ballpark and stability in the future of the franchise will be a good market.

1997 | 2003

Archived