It's Houston Dynamo...

Brian in Boston

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have say i would have preferred dynamo houston. my big gripe with the new team is theyve had two solid names and two really bad badges in only a couple of months. if theyre gonna change the name, and keep it european, why not make a european style crest. it looks like a wordmark and the crest was an afterthought.what a disappointment

Eh, I liked the 1836 star much, much more than this. This is so... generic-looking.

Then again, I liked the 1836 name, too. This one, eh.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Visually, I definitely liked the 1836 badge a lot better. When I think "Dynamo," I think dynanism, which isn't really this logo's strong suit, IMO. That, and I'm not a fan of how the powder blue and orange work when they're adjacent. It doesn't bother me when they're seperated by black, but the blue suffers next to the orange.

At least the typeface is a cool customization of Agency... I've always been a fan of that font.

Huh...branding the team after an East German Communist-era name. That's unusual, to say the least. I wonder what the folks in Houston will think when they find out their team is named after a Commie team.

Another point: both Dynamo Dresden and BFC Dynamo Berlin were started by East German police...and in the case of BFC Berlin, became the preferred team of the Stasi, the East German secret police. Not the greatest team to honor, in my opinion.

What's a dynamo?

Let's ask the dictionary.

BTW, this use of Dynamo and the previous "commie" version aren't the same word, and aren't pronounced the same way. (I still don't like it, but I'm just pointing that out.)

POTD 2013-08-22

Huh...branding the team after an East German Communist-era name.  That's unusual, to say the least.  I wonder what the folks in Houston will think when they find out their team is named after a Commie team.

Franchise management is sending a message that fan opposition to this new identity will not be tolerated. So-called "enemies of the team" will be monitored, detained and re-educated by Commisar Oliver Luck's KGB (Kicking-Game Bureau), so that the glory of the Houston Dynamo cultural revolution can be most effectively disseminated - indeed, celebrated - throughout the Harris County proletariat. The franchise's supporters club - to be branded "The Central Committee" - will be required to assist in the propagation of party policy.

Kickers of the world unite! You have nothing to use but your feet!

AEG is the vanguard of the people!

Carry on.

^^ But surely the Houston chose the name based on the "Dynamo" name in Germany, right? Considering their first choice for the team name was an homage to German naming conventions, it follows that this new name is the same.

Edit: LOL to Brian in Boston.

I like the new name.

I hate the circumstances under which it came to pass.

And for some reason I'm getting a vaguely Earthquakes-y vibe from the badge. No idea why.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like the new name.

And for some reason I'm getting a vaguely Earthquakes-y vibe from the badge.  No idea why.

Traingular badge shape. Soccer ball. Rays. I see it, now that you mention it.

1566.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think I've decided I'd like the badge more if the words weren't actually in it, nor the soccer ball. Simple shield with star and burst, it'd look cool. You could use a wordmark with it, of course, but not as an actual part of the badge. It'd be so much better that way.

POTD 2013-08-22

The new logo is an obvious homage to the old SJ logo.

That said, I would have liked a little more emphasis on the the star...

the star may not necessarily be as much a stylistic point as it is (as per soccer tradition) a reference to league titles won.

and dynamo wasn't just in Eastern Germany usage, Dynamo Moscow is still one of the biggest Russian clubs, along with Dynamo Bucharest in Romania and Dynamo Kiev in the Ukraine.

harperdc.gif

I like the new name.

And for some reason I'm getting a vaguely Earthquakes-y vibe from the badge. No idea why.

Ditto.

I liked the old badge though. Regardless, I was planning on rocking a Houston MLS t-shirt either way, I just never got around to getting an 1836 shirt. Oh well.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived