Ichiro HOF?

Mac6674

A lot of people are talking about whether or not Puckett should be in the Hall, so I'm posing the question as to whether Ichiro can get in with a similarly short career. In my opinion, if he has 5 more years close to his last 5, he should get in. He already has 1130 hits and a .332 average. Even with some decline, he could hit .315-.320 for a ten year period with over 2000 hits. Add to that his gold glove caliber defense and his pioneering status as one of the first Japanese position players in MLB, and I think he should get in.

A lot of people are talking about whether or not Puckett should be in the Hall, so I'm posing the question as to whether Ichiro can get in with a similarly short career.  In my opinion, if he has 5 more years close to his last 5, he should get in.  He already has 1130 hits and a .332 average.  Even with some decline, he could hit .315-.320 for a ten year period with over 2000 hits.  Add to that his gold glove caliber defense and his pioneering status as one of the first Japanese position players in MLB, and I think he should get in.

If you include Ichiro's numbers and history in Japan than maybe. But based on his MLB numbers I would say not yet. Puckett had the most hits after 10 years than anyone in MLB history, 5 years of at least 20 hrs, 10 years of 80+ rbi (3 100+) and a. 477 slugging % along with all the gold gloves. Ichiro has the hits, but not the power, rbi numbers and falls just short of the slugging. Also,Puckett got in not only because his numbers were great, but also because of the tremendous impact on the Twins franchise and all of his memorable post season heroics. Ichiro has great batting numbers and hit totals, but ultimately will his impact be as memorable as Kirby's? Without a WS appearance or two at least and a memorable moment or two in them, I would say doubtful. Besides, like Chris said, Puckett was rewarded with the HoF partly because the numbers he would have put up if he hadn't gotten injured. So, all told, I would say its too early to tell for Ichiro, 5 more years and we can revisit the possibility.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I think Ichiro has made an impact beyond the numbers as the first Japanese position player, and I am, of course, assuming five more years at or near his current level of production. If you want to throw in "could have" stats, then Ichiro could have had 3000 hits if he came to the US earlier. I think his Japanese stats should get some consideration as well.

I'll agree with what Tank said....

If Ichiro continues to put up the numbers he has over his first 5 season over the next 5, then yeah, there'll be a spot waiting for him in Cooperstown...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

For the record, I hate Ichiro.

However, I do feel as though if he keeps it up, there should be a spot for him in the hall. If an Angels fan can say that a Mariner belongs in Cooperstown, then, by George, he belongs in there.

For the record, I hate Ichiro.

First off...why on Earth would you hate Ichiro? Is there a more unoffensive star in the game? The guy plays hard, he's really good, fun to watch, and as far as I know he's a pretty good citizen in the clubhouse and off the field. I'm not saying you shouldn't hate him or anything and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I have no issue with you hating him I just wonder why you hate him. To me he's a hard guy to "hate."

Anyway on to the topic. I agree with Tank. If Ichiro gets his eligibility he's a lock. I think if he retires tomorrow he should still get in based on his MLB career and his career in Japan.

BB52Big.jpg

I agree with Tank. If Ichiro gets his eligibility

Since when is there a minimum requirement?

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I think if Cooperstown can allow Negro League players into The Hall, they should also allow Japaneese players in as well as neither league is associated with MLB really. Ichiro and Matsui come to mind right away as players that should be in from the Japaneese League.

6uXNWAo.png

I think if Cooperstown can allow Negro League players into The Hall, they should also allow Japaneese players in as well as neither league is associated with MLB really. Ichiro and Matsui come to mind right away as players that should be in from the Japaneese League.

That's an extremely unfair comparison. The Negro League stars were permitted into the HOF because they were banned from MLB during their playing years. Athletes in the Japanese League aren't banned from MLB at all...they often just suck too much to be in the big leagues.

I think if Cooperstown can allow Negro League players into The Hall, they should also allow Japaneese players in as well as neither league is associated with MLB really.  Ichiro and Matsui come to mind right away as players that should be in from the Japaneese League.

That's an extremely unfair comparison. The Negro League stars were permitted into the HOF because they were banned from MLB during their playing years. Athletes in the Japanese League aren't banned from MLB at all...they often just suck too much to be in the big leagues.

I'm not saying the Negro and Japaneese leagues were the same. My point was that if Cooperstown is not going to be exclusive to Major League Baseball players only, then they should be inducting legends from other leagues like the Negro and Japaneese Leagues. I feel the same for the Pro Football HOF and how they should allow CFL greats like Warren Moon (elected this year) and Doug Flutie into the hall.

6uXNWAo.png

I think Ichiro will indeed get into the Hall of Fame if he keeps it up. He's probably one of the most consistent hitters in all of baseball since he's been at Seattle. He does need to play 10 years of MLB service to be eligible because the Hall of Fame said so. There is also a Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame, so everything he did in Japan probably won't count for anything as far as the Cooperstown voters are concerned. Come to think of it, I think it's time for Ichiro to be inducted into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame, because he is indeed eligible over there.

I agree with Tank. If Ichiro gets his eligibility

Since when is there a minimum requirement?

See rule #2.

Eligible Candidates ? Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

1. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning twenty (20) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

2. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3 (A).

3. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

4. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

5. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

BB52Big.jpg

Consider the following:

Combining his stats in Japan and MLB he has the following (13 years):

1,777 games

7,020 at bats

2,508 hits

346 2B

64 3B

170 HR

839 RBI

388 SB

915 BB

646 K

0.357 batting average

NOT BAD I THINK.

Given 5 more years, even given the normal rate of decline for players his age, I think he will reach well over 3,000 hits, 250 HR, 1200 RBI and 500 SB. That's a Hall of Fame career to me. In fact, given his age and how well he keeps himself fit, he could play 10 more years and reach those figures just in his Major League career.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived