College FB Helmet Prototypes

classic32

This is my first concept post. Some of the helmet/logo images were taken from this website. Some of these helmets I like, some I don't. I just thought it would be interesting to see what they may look like.

collegefootballhelmets4.gif

collegefootballhelmets3.gif

collegefootballhelmets2.gif

collegehelmets1.gif

My Top Ten Favorites (In No Order)

New Mexico (Red Face Mask) - Right now New Mexico's colors are just to simple for a school coming from such a colorful region. I was in Albuquerque a few months ago, and noticed a lot of blue. I think just a subtle adding of blue would add a lot to the indentity of the team.

BYU (Light Gold Face Mask) - I like BYU's current uniforms better than their previous ones, but I wish they would have kept some of the gold. I love the darker navy blue they use though, instead of the brighter blue used during the 1980's-1990's.

California - The blue and yellow they have now just screams Michigan, West Virginia, etc. Making their yellow just a touch lighter shade and adding it to the face mask makes for a more unique look in college football.

Maryland - I liked the logo on the black helmet they previously used, but I also like the white shell they have now. I basically just combined them.

UCLA - Power blue seems to be one of the more popular colors in sports, and they were one of the first teams to use the colors. Why not add them to the helmet, along with a more bubble like UCLA logo, which maintains navy blue as well.

Temple - I'm not a big fan of black helmets, but for some reason I just like how black makes Temple's look.

Georgia (Silver Shell) - Kind of a throwback, in that they wore silver helmets in the past.

North Carolina (White Shell) - I was thinking of doing a silver helmet for North Carolina as well, but I just liked how white looked better.

Stanford - Using the tree logo and adding green just adds a unique identity to their helmet and school.

Wisconsin (White Shell, Badger Logo) - The big W they use on a white shell right now just seems like a little bit of a Nebraska rip off. Bucky badger is one of the more popular mascots, and better reflect the identity of the Badgers.

Please let me know what you think as well. I have a few others I have been thinking of working on as well, and perhaps learning how to use some of the templates and creating uniforms with them.

Hide that yellow Oregon one before nike gets any ideas...

The navy Georgia Tech one is a no go for sure- Can't mess with perfection B)

There is a bookstore in Auburn that had orange and navy replica helmets that were either identical or pretty close to the ones that you came up with. Although I like the orange one more, the blue one isn't too bad.

The Virgina helmet and the two West Virginia ones would have been great in the late 70s or 80s, but not now.

I like most of the helmets you have- there are too many to comment on each one individually... :P

AU-USU-Scoreboard.gif

Faves:

UConn

Maryland

Gold LSU

Silver Tulane

Illinois

Maroon Arizona St.

Red Arizona

Silver UGA

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Wisconsin (White Shell, Badger Logo) - The big W they use on a white shell right now just seems like a little bit of a Nebraska rip off. Bucky badger is one of the more popular mascots, and better reflect the identity of the Badgers.

Just because Wisconsin's jersey is very similar to Nebraska's does not mean the big, bold motion double is a rip-off of Nebraska's boring "N". The change to the Bucky helmet would be awful. Of course, this is based on my taste as I am not fond of your Mississippi State helmet either.

Here are the good ones:

Washington State

Syracuse

Wisconsin (red). Part of me has always wanted to go taht way.

All 3 ASU helmets are better than the current--maroon best

Red Arizona

Blue North Carolina (Great looking helmet, though dark blue should not be that prominant).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Thanks for the responses. I have quite a few others done, just waiting to finish a few more to make it a set.

To answer sharplcd, the purple helmet with gray frog image is the TCU helmet. I made a gray shell with that logo as well, but thought the purple looked better.

Tarkan - I like CSU's helmet as is as well. I just wanted to see what it may look like in gold. I don't mind the gold look either, but the green shell is far better. I'm glad there now green and gold instead of green and yellow.

OnWis97 - I can see where you are coming from, but I just like Bucky on the helmet. Maybe they can make a small little decal on the back of the helmet or something. I don't mind the W, I just wish Bucky was around somewhere.

There are too many to comment on individually, so I will say this instead:

The ones where you did the least work the best. A lot of your designs get very intricate, which is hard to see clearly on helmets. The few that have logo and wordmark look cluttered (Michigan State, Miami). Choose one or the other, but you usually don't need 2 insignias to explain what school/team is wearing the helmet. Some of them elevate trim colors too much and make them main colors (UNC navy, Colorado white). A couple of them screw with tradition (Ohio State) - not every team needs a logo and stripes. Plain works for some teams. And I guess I'm not in love with silver much for every school, either.

Some work well - my favorites were the UNM with the red facemask, the 2 WVUs (white > blue), Rutgers. They're all creative, but a lot of them don't work for one or more of the reasons above.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived