National Invitational Tournament

Gary

Just out of curiousity, is anyone paying attention to the NIT this year, of course there are some teams that people love or like. Louisville will be facing South Carolina and Michigan will be playing Old Dominion in the Semifinals at Madison Square Garden this year. My prediction, Michigan defeating Louisville in Double Overtime in the Finals.

Kinda sorta...

I did watch some of the ODU/Hofstra game...

Big East loyalties have me rooting for the Cards in this one...hopefully they'll take care of the Fightin Foghorn Leghorns before getting a piece of Michigan (that is if the Maize & Blue don't lose to a darn good ODU team)...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

When did South Carolina become such a good tournament team?

-They won the NIT last season.

-They were one shot away from winning the SEC Tournament, after playing 4 games in 4 days.

-They've made it back to the Garden, playing mostly road games in the NIT.

No the NIT is just the Not Invitied Tournament and the battle for number 66 before tehy added the extra team to the NCAA its was teh strive for 65 it was a perfect rhyme I miss using it. :cry:

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Something tells me that the NIT would be better if they guaranteed a team per conference, in the form of giving an auto-bid to the highest seeded team in the conference not given a big dance invite. This way, the NIT would become more of a "give a team a chance at tournament play that it wouldn't have otherwise had" as opposed to a simple "too bad, better luck next year" consolation prize. That would give it more meaning.

VmWIn6B.png

The NIT would be better if no Major Conferences were involved and it was a showcase for Mid Majors but you know that will never happen, so instead its just a waste to me.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Something tells me that the NIT would be better if they guaranteed a team per conference, in the form of giving an auto-bid to the highest seeded team in the conference not given a big dance invite. This way, the NIT would become more of a "give a team a chance at tournament play that it wouldn't have otherwise had" as opposed to a simple "too bad, better luck next year" consolation prize. That would give it more meaning.

I think they did start a rule similar to this, where the regular season champion of every conference is guarenteed some sort of postseason play, whether it be the NCAA's or the NIT.

After all, this tournament's main purpose is to make more money, so you can't just make this a non-major conference tournament.

Something tells me that the NIT would be better if they guaranteed a team per conference, in the form of giving an auto-bid to the highest seeded team in the conference not given a big dance invite.  This way, the NIT would become more of a "give a team a chance at tournament play that it wouldn't have otherwise had" as opposed to a simple "too bad, better luck next year" consolation prize.  That would give it more meaning.

I think they did start a rule similar to this, where the regular season champion of every conference is guarenteed some sort of postseason play, whether it be the NCAA's or the NIT.

After all, this tournament's main purpose is to make more money, so you can't just make this a non-major conference tournament.

Yeah, I know they have that rule, but I'm just stating that each conference should be represented, and if the regular season champ makes the dance, then have the 2nd place team go to the NIT. I can assure you that smaller schools would send large fan contingents if they were given the opportunity at postseason play.

VmWIn6B.png

I want to see Old Dominion win the tourny for two really good ideas (to me, at least).

1.) They have the best logo of the four left.

and....

2.) Alex Loughton was on my Fantasy Team this season. :P

I want to see Old Dominion win the tourny for two really good ideas (to me, at least).

1.) They have the best logo of the four left.

and....

2.) Alex Loughton was on my Fantasy Team this season. :P

Dustin, I just want to say, you just sounded like the girl from my work who picked Memphis :therock: .

Good point. I guess I also forgot to mention that the other three haven't been shown their 'A' games most of the season.

BTW, lilg, take some lessons on how to pick a bracket from her. She sounds like she has a winner in Memphis. :)

Good point. I guess I also forgot to mention that the other three haven't been shown their 'A' games most of the season.

BTW, lilg, take some lessons on how to pick a bracket from her. She sounds like she has a winner in Memphis. :)

well with Michigan everything was going well until the injuries set in, now that they have all the core players back, I will tell ODU to watch out. Plus it's not just her, but most women win brackets by going by who has the cuter butt, or who has the cuter logo or uniform, how the women brain works :wacko:

I watched it last year when Maryland made it the its final four. I went the the TCU "elite 8" game at college park. I even had plans to go the MSG if they made it to the championship, but they lost to South Carolina.

This year was a total disaster for the Terps though. They said they didn't want to go (and I think the AD made them but I'm not sure about the whole story). Then they showed it by not even trying in the game. That whole team should be ashamed of themselves. Its nice to get rid of some of those underachievers, the rest will be gone after next season.

I like NJTank's idea of leaving it open to only mid-majors. That would make it alot more fun and exciting to watch. Maybe it could also stop the overcrowding of mid-majors in the Big Dance.

no...thats my answer and i'm stickin to it

well you don't know what your missing

All you're missing out on a phony Final Four between teams number 66, 67, 68, and 69 in the nation.

That's pretty sad if any team actually raises an NIT Championship (66th best team in the nation) banner in their gym. I would rank that right up there with throwing up a pennant in baseball saying you're "Wild Card Champions". Ridiculous.

6uXNWAo.png

no...thats my answer and i'm stickin to it

well you don't know what your missing

All you're missing out on a phony Final Four between teams number 66, 67, 68, and 69 in the nation.

That's pretty sad if any team actually raises an NIT Championship (66th best team in the nation) banner in their gym. I would rank that right up there with throwing up a pennant in baseball saying you're "Wild Card Champions". Ridiculous.

it's better than no championship at all.

Archived