Best sports analogies

ninersdd

What are your favorite sports analogies seen anywhere.

For example from the Sac Bee: After a punt return in week 1, the 49ers special teams have been as exciting as CSPAN

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

What are your favorite sports analogies seen anywhere.

For example from the Sac Bee: After a punt return in week 1, the 49ers special teams have been as exciting as CSPAN

I'll chime in since VitaminD has been doing most of the work lately. :D

That's not an analogy, it's a simile.

That's not an analogy, it's a simile.

There's no reason the two can't be the same. In fact, they most often are.

They can be but analogies usually draw direct, logical comparisons between two or more items where a simile uses one thing to describe another using the linking terms "like" or "as."

An analogy would be "A is to B, as X is to Y."

Just saying "A is as something as B" is a similie.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Adam Morrison to the basketball is like a moth to a bug zapper. Doesn't matter the circumstances, they always seem to find each other (from ESPN).

VmWIn6B.png

That "Big Baby" guy on LSU said something very strange during his last postgame interview on CBS: "We have tapeworms in our stomachs, and we need to eat."

Apparently, he was getting at the idea that they have to keep eating up other teams on their way to the championship.

I think that's a metaphor, but I wasn't an English major.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

An analogy would be "A is to B, as X is to Y."

Just saying "A is as something as B" is a similie.

Wow, this is all screwed up. Analogies aren't just for SATs, you know. You can have two items be "analogous" without matching them up with some other set.

And a simile isn't just a comparison. "Tartar Sauce is like Mayonnaise" is not a simile.

BTW, this is a smilie: :grin:

That's all for today, class.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

And a simile isn't just a comparison. "Tartar Sauce is like Mayonnaise" is not a simile.

As incorrect as that may be (although I've had some bland tartar sauce) that is a simile. A simile takes two things that are mostly different and shows a comparison using one of the characteristics they have in common.

"This tartar sauce is like mayonnaise."

Archived