New Oklahoma State football uniforms

doafhat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're honestly not that bad. They will look excellent in pads. I couldn't care less about the stripes, and I think most people--even OSU students and players--couldn't either. I think they, like I, will be glad to see a respectable number font and a crisp, sharp looking jersey that represents OSU well.

I think they, like I, will be glad to see a respectable number font and a crisp, sharp looking jersey that represents OSU well.

Well, judging from the reaction on the OSU boards, a great number of fans and students in the age group that the new unis are geared towards prefer something more traditional. For some schools, the new uniforms may be a good look, for Oklahoma State they just don't fit in. Barry Sanders didn't need piping. B)

It's also interesting that OSU tried to do something hip last year with the basketball program, by changing the plain black lanes on Eddie Sutton Court to an orange/black gradient. That move was overwhelmingly hated because 1) it was ugly, and 2) it just didn't look right for a basketball court that has been around since 1938 and seen so many basketball legends.

LYFFPADUZTPCDIX.20051109141743.jpg

will be glad to see a respectable number font and a crisp, sharp looking jersey that represents OSU well.

and also represents every other school that subscribes to the Nike template = swooshes and piping for all!

Originality? Who needs it?

(We'll get 'em next year, LeedsUnited)

Earlier today on orangepower.com, one of the employees from the OSU Student Store leaked a picture of the new Nike replica:

jersey.jpg

Long story short, I hate them. Instead of keeping with the same basic style that OSU has worn since 1984 - the same style worn by the likes of Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders, and Tatum Bell - we've abandoned Oklahoma State's football identity for Miami's. :mad:

132256530_558f953c30_o.jpg

Those are HORRIBLE. I hope those uniforms burn...

Can anyone explain why the Nike/Miami back stripe is so popular? I don't get it. The backs look horrible. Like someones hiked up their pants too high or something.

I'm pretty sure it isn't popular. Nike seems to think it is and that uniforms like these or Virginia Tech or Oregon are going to help schools pull in recruits because they are "hip" and "trendy". They've convinced several good football teams this is true. And yet Oregon, the flagship of ridiculous Nike designs, finished last in recruting in the Pac-10 last season according to scout.com's rankings (and yes, I'm sure there are many factors involved here but clearly Nike's marketing hasn't helped). I hope that's a catalyst for people realizing that stupid uniform designs don't draw recruits. In fact if you polled most recruits on which unis they like best you'd probably hear a lot of Michigan, USC, Notre Dame and several of the other classics.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Can anyone explain why the Nike/Miami back stripe is so popular? I don't get it. The backs look horrible. Like someones hiked up their pants too high or something.

I'm pretty sure it isn't popular. Nike seems to think it is and that uniforms like these or Virginia Tech or Oregon are going to help schools pull in recruits because they are "hip" and "trendy". They've convinced several good football teams this is true. And yet Oregon, the flagship of ridiculous Nike designs, finished last in recruting in the Pac-10 last season according to scout.com's rankings (and yes, I'm sure there are many factors involved here but clearly Nike's marketing hasn't helped). I hope that's a catalyst for people realizing that stupid uniform designs don't draw recruits. In fact if you polled most recruits on which unis they like best you'd probably hear a lot of Michigan, USC, Notre Dame and several of the other classics.

But Michigan did subtly add yellow Nike piping to their away jerseys last year, and from what I hear in town, people loved it. Now it's not a drastic change, and it's not a complete overhaul, but there is a lot of tradition with Michigan football, and many fans liked the change.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

• 2 months later...

Here's an update from the ongoing Oklahoma State uniform saga...

At OSU's Fan Appreciation Day on Saturday, the players were all dressed in last year's uniform set, with the explanation that the new uniforms haven't been shipped to Stillwater yet. Head coach Mike Gundy said, "We don't have our jerseys here. There's been a lot of jerseys supposedly out on the Internet, but I haven't seen any of them. The jerseys aren't even here yet. We haven't seen the final print. We've had a couple of them here and we've looked at them and made a few adjustments."

The jerseys out on the Internet that he's referring to are most likely the image of the Nike replicas that was leaked from a source at the OSU Student Store many months ago and are currently on sale:

193048125_d882e12ec4_o.jpg

Judging from what Gundy said, I think the final product on the field will be different from the replicas that are currently being sold. I find it to be very interesting that most (if not all) of the other Nike schools that have switched to a new uniform set already have them in the locker rooms and ready to go, while OSU is apparently still finalizing the design.

My theory is, when Nike gave Oklahoma State the ultimatum of sticking with last year's uniforms or switching to the new set with piping, Gundy and Athletic Director Mike Holder lobbied them enough into putting the traditional stripes back on the sleeves. Gundy clearly had something in mind earlier in the year when he described the new uniforms at the Cowboy Caravans. Robert Allen (one of the top media/PR guys at OSU) also elaborated on the new unis, and his descriptions matched what Gundy was saying in addition to the designs that a close friend of mine saw for himself. The clues all pointed to what was essentially a throwback to what Gundy wore his first year at OSU, with the exception of a white insert on the sides. Of course, the leaked image of the replica bore very little resemblence to any of the earlier descriptions.

If my theory is right, what we may see on the field could be similar to the altered jersey I posted here and on OrangePower.com a long time ago:

207725700_08e831bea3_o.jpg

I don't know how I feel about them getting rid of the calculator numbers... on one hand, they were unique and instantly recognizable. On the other hand, they were pretty ugly. What's the consensus: number font upgrade or downgrade?

oklaho75.jpgDRAFT-MAYES.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

But Michigan did subtly add yellow Nike piping to their away jerseys last year, and from what I hear in town, people loved it. Now it's not a drastic change, and it's not a complete overhaul, but there is a lot of tradition with Michigan football, and many fans liked the change.

It's because it WAS subtle. I think if the piping had been blue instead of maize, folks would have gotten their innards in an uproar. The yellow on white makes it barely noticeable. It was nothing as drastic as the year UM wore white pants on the road (sometime in the '70's, I believe...)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Why not just go with the traditional uniforms with a normal font?

That was good enough for both Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders.

Coach Gundy had every intention of going back to traditional uniforms with block numbers, but Nike wouldn't make such a change since OSU was still under contract with the Swoosh. OSU had the choice of sticking with their uniforms for one or two more seasons, or switching to the so-called "Elite" uniforms. Keep in mind that at this time, a lot of alumni were grumbling about the "calculator numbers" and were unhappy with the names not being on the back of the jerseys and were letting Athletic Director Holder know about it (Holder was also no fan of the numbers).

Thanks to all the pressure for a change, OSU decided to go with the Elite option, but as I noted earlier, it looks like Gundy has been able to lobby Nike into altering the jerseys in some way. My guess was that the alterations would be to put the stripes back on the sleeves, seeing as how the stripes have long been a part of Oklahoma State football. The stripes have almost always been a part of the visual identity of OSU football through its most successful runs; such as the modern era, the 80s with the likes of Sanders and Thomas, and all the way back to the 1940s when what was then known as Oklahoma A&M won the 1946 Sugar Bowl.

138106823_1fadc060c9_m.jpg132256889_bce21b4250_m.jpg132256886_c040d2d40a_m.jpg

207725700_08e831bea3_o.jpg

I'd like this if it had the black piping but not the swoosh around the back. Just let the black piping continue down the side, nice and thin.

Judging from what's been seen of the replicas that are being sold, the piping and black insert won't wrap around the back.

I think they are a nice update!!! Go OSU Cowboys.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived