Pujols out "Indefnitely"

SEMOSTLfan

The Cardinals put Pujols on the 15 day DL today, word is he's out indefinitely. Unfortunately I was at the game yesterday when the injury occurred and it was a pretty ugly afternoon all the way around for cardinals fans.

According to the team doctors they are giving him at least 4-6 weeks on the shelf, however they still seem to think there is a possibility the oblique could be completely torn. Granted its worst case scenario but if thats the case Albert is likely done for the year.

Hopefully the Cardinals can pick up the slack with albert out of the lineup but this is a tough blow to say the least.

ok i'll quit sulking now, because i know im gonna get crap from the likes of the cubs fans who are sorely missing D Lee. :P

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

The difference between the Cards losing Pujols and the Cubs losing Lee (besides the fact that other than a really awesome year last year, Lee is no Pujols) is the fact that the Cardinals players will step up because they still expect to win and the Cubs went on a downward spiral because they knew Lee was their main source of production.

Pujols has absolutely been the Cards main source of production this year, but with him out, others will step up their performance. It's what happened today. Jim Edmonds was about to go on the DL a few days ago with a possible sports hernia. He still was likely to go on the DL, they just hadn't done it yet. Albert's hurt, and how does Jimmy respond? He fills in at first base, plays with a lot of pain, and goes 3-3 with a Double, a Walk, 2 RBI, and 2 Runs.

Scott Rolen who has been hitting pretty well anyways, steps up his performance even more going 2-4 with a Double, 3 RBI, and 2 Runs. Juan Encarnacion who has been very slowly increasing his production comes up big going 2-4 with 2 Doubles and 2 Runs.

And the rest of the lineup, which other than David Eckstein consisted of bench players and minor league callups, tacks on 7 more hits, another RBI, and 5 more Runs.

Losing Albert sucks, but this team is full of winners, and they expect to win no matter who is in the lineup.

... And fantasy owners with Pujols on their teams ? like me ? weep.

and fantasy owners that face teams with Pujols CHEER, that butt kicking you gave me a few weeks ago was due to Pujols ^_^

Yup, this definitely's gonna clear up the traffic jam that is 2nd Place in the AA Federal League.

Β 

Β 

I think my UL team can handle Albert's absence actually. Obviously I'm not quite as strong with him out, but I've got a strong enough team that I can shift things around and hopefully not skip a beat.

Plus, Pujols should be back and rolling as the fantasy stretch run and playoffs come. And if he's not, then the last reason I'm upset about it is my fantasy team...

and fantasy owners that face teams with Pujols CHEER, that butt kicking you gave me a few weeks ago was due to Pujols ^_^

Schadenfreude ( 'shΓ€-d&n-"froi-d& ) n. enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others. [German Schaden = damage + Fruede = joy]

:P

Schadenfreude ( 'shΓ€-d&n-"froi-d& ) n. enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others. [German Schaden = damage + Fruede = joy]

:P

well duh, someone has to cheer for it. I'm sad Pujols is hurt but it only helps my Crows in so many ways

I'm cheering it too...lol

But yeah, baseball-and-human-relations wise, this sucks for Pujols. Such a good guy, he was clearly on pace to shatter the record of Barry Bonds for the single season record. I was rooting for him to do it too. Oh well, maybe next year.

Β 

Β 

I'm cheering it too...lol

But yeah, baseball-and-human-relations wise, this sucks for Pujols. Such a good guy, he was clearly on pace to shatter the record of Barry Bonds for the single season record. I was rooting for him to do it too. Oh well, maybe next year.

Now that won't happen :P Yay!

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The difference between the Cards losing Pujols and the Cubs losing Lee (besides the fact that other than a really awesome year last year, Lee is no Pujols) is the fact that the Cardinals players will step up because they still expect to win and the Cubs went on a downward spiral because they knew Lee was their main source of production.

K, so now you're saying Pujols shouldn't be an MVP?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

Β 

"The Mothership" β€’ News β€’ Facebook β€’ X/Twitter β€’ Instagram

This means that now is the time for Cincinnati to step up. They can overtake the lead in the Central with St. Louis reeling.

I hope the Cardinals don't fall off too badly and I think we still have the best shot at the division but i'll pull for cincy if it keeps the Astros out of October baseball.

Despite Mulder imploding his last 2 starts I think the Cards still have one of the best pitching staffs in baseball. Our bullpen isnt as strong as in recent years but its still good.

Speaking of Mulder and his less than stellar pitching, i was thinking of a certain scenario the other day. I'm almost convinced that the Cardinals will not be able to afford Mulder after this season especially looking at the money AJ Burnett got this year.

I think the best thing for the Cardinals may be to trade Mulder for another offensive impact player to insure that we get something in exchange for him. The other reason I suggest this is that the Cardinals have two very promising young pitchers just chomping at the bit to see time in the rotation, in Adam Wainwright and Anthony Reyes.

In all honesty I think either one of these young pitchers would do just fine in the rotation if the Cardinals were able to make a deal for Mulder.

Cards08.jpg

World Champions: 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006

It's all about definition. If people want to get so stuck on a player being the most valuable to his team and that without him the team would collapse, then maybe Albert's not the MVP. But that's a BS definition of an MVP, because then the best teams would rarely ever have an MVP.

Albert's clearly the guy that makes his team better and would make any team in the league better, but the Cardinals are also a great team, and they can fill-in in his absense. If being a great team means Pujols isn't an MVP, then that's crap, but so be it.

As for Cinci taking over with the Cards reeling...just one problem...the Cards aren't reeling. Albert being out hurts and increases Cinci's chances to take over sure, but the Cardinals themselves don't expect to do anything different, and it's that attitude that's gonna keep them winning and keep them on top.

I have to agree with SEMOSTL that the Cards rotation is one of the best in baseball, despite some recent poor performances. I have to disagree that our bullpen isn't as good as last year. IMO, it's even better. Once again we have the lowest bullpen era (just as we did in 2005, and we were 2nd to ATL by like .001 or something in 2004), and a lot of our guys have been lights out.

Anthony Reyes is definatley ready to step into the rotation if we do make a trade. Wainwright has also shown he's ready, but he's pitched so well from the bullpen and is conditioned to be a relief pitcher this year, so expecting him to step in as a starter this year might not be realistic.

I like Mulder and would love for the Cards to resign him, but I'm not quite sure he's gonna be worth what he'll get.

Possible trade targets of the Cards might be Craig Wilson, Carl Crawford, or Alfonso Soriano.

As for Cinci taking over with the Cards reeling...just one problem...the Cards aren't reeling.

Um, let's wait more than one game to decide if the Cards are "reeling" or not. The Cubs actually won the game DLee was hurt in, then went 4-3 over the next week before going through that terrible May, where they went 7-22. Get back to me in a month and let me know if the Cards are "reeling" with-out Pujols...

Moose

Very good point, Chris.

IUe6Hvh.png

As for Cinci taking over with the Cards reeling...just one problem...the Cards aren't reeling.

Um, let's wait more than one game to decide if the Cards are "reeling" or not. The Cubs actually won the game DLee was hurt in, then went 4-3 over the next week before going through that terrible May, where they went 7-22. Get back to me in a month and let me know if the Cards are "reeling" with-out Pujols...

Moose

I honestly could careless about that one game. I would have said the same thing before the game. The Cards aren't reeling because of their attitude. Dusty Baker and the Cubs are perfectly cool with using Lee's (along with Wood's and Prior's) injuries as excuses for poor play. The Cardinals (fans, manager Tony La Russa, and players) are absolutely not okay with losing and won't settle for excuses. They expect to win and will step up and play to win no matter who is in the lineup.

Obviously you can't rely on attitude alone, but it certainly goes a LONG way towards making good teams great.

Here's a quote from Baker that just struck me as awful.

"There's a direct correlation (between Lee being out of the lineup and the Cubs record)," Baker said. "Big-time."

How bad is that? You can't be making excuses for losing no matter what. But that's been the Cubs attitude the whole time. "Yeah, we could have been good, but Wood and Prior are hurt (the annual excuse) and now D. Lee's out, so this really sucks for us" (not an actual quote of anybody). That's seemed to be the Cubs attitude, and that's why they lost so many games.

The Cardinals attitude is the exact opposite, and I very much expect them to hardly skip a beat, and maybe getting on even more of a hot streak.

Again with the MVP...if to be the MVP your team has to collapse in your absence...well then maybe Albert's not the MVP...and if that's the rule then their probably won't be many MVP's coming from St. Louis as long as Tony La Russa is managing the Cardinals. But honestly, that's such a crap definition. The MVP should go to the guy who contributes the most to his team. Which Albert clearly does (or without me getting definitive so early...he's clearly one of the tops in the MLB in that). He shouldn't be hurt by the fact that his team is motivated enough to step up in his absence.

Here's a quote from Baker that just struck me as awful.

"There's a direct correlation (between Lee being out of the lineup and the Cubs record)," Baker said. "Big-time."

Perhaps it's a cop-out, but you aslo have to realize that it is a direct reaction to a question asked by a reporter - not just an opinion offered by Baker. If, hypothetically (and I realize the "optomism" of the Cards will prevent this from happening :rolleyes: ), but just if the Cards go on a losing streek, and a reporter asks if Pujols injury is responsible for the slide, what do you think LaRussa is going to say? "No, we just got some bad breaks in there, Pujols being healthy would have had no effect what-so-ever." Yeah right. Get off your high horse...

Moose

Archived