My Ultimate Baseball Road Trip

ZBoyer

Hello all,

In late July, I'm planning on taking a trip around the country (at least, mostly east of the Mississippi) to check out a couple of ballparks for a week. My criteria is that I wanted to see a game every night and only drive around 5 hours a day while keeping it all under $1000 (or if not, as close as possible.)

As such, I've determined this as my ideal route:

Baltimore, MD -- 7/13/2006 -- Orioles vs. Rangers, 7 p.m.

Pittsburgh, PA -- 7/14/2006 -- Pirates vs. Nationals, 7 p.m.

Cincinnati, OH -- 7/15/2006 -- Reds vs. Rockies, 6 p.m.

Nashville, TN* -- 7/16/2006 -- Nashville vs. Memphis, 6 p.m.

St. Louis, MO -- 7/17/2006 -- Cardinals vs. Braves, 7 p.m.

Indianapolis, IN -- 7/18/2006 -- Indianapolis vs. Norfolk, 7 p.m.

Detroit, MI* -- 7/19/2006 -- Tigers vs. White Sox, 7 p.m.

Toronto, ON -- 7/20/2006 -- Blue Jays vs. Yankees. 7 p.m.

Rochester, NY -- 7/21/2006 -- Rochester vs. Louisville, 7 p.m.

*I have family in Nashville and Detroit, so that's why I've chosen to stop there and won't need help.

Now, I know some cities, such as St. Louis, are going to be extremely difficult to find parking. As such, are there any recommended places to park, or ways to get to the park? (For example, in Boston, I've learned not to park near Fenway Park because it will cost $30; rather, I should park at a train station and take the T into the city.) How about the parks themselves - what should I know about these places to make it a hassle-free environment?

In essence, what should I know about these destinations? (Well, except the minor league games - I don't forsee many, if any, problems there).

Thanks for the help!

Thats super cool i hope you really enjoy it but i have a suggestion, how bout going to see my brewers take on the indians in inter league game on the 18, you've got a minor league game there so it would be better surly and miller park is sweet, one of the newest ballparks around right.Plus you are sheduled to be in places like new york and toronto and up in the north that time. (bow)

In Baltimore, if you get there early you can park on the street for free if you want, or you can pay $10 to park in the "official" scattered lots. I've never had a problem parking on Paca or Hamburg Streets (west of Russell Street). It's mainly an office/industrial area. A bit of a walk to the stadium, but it's free and you don't have to deal with traffic getting out of the lots. In the past when I have parked in official lots, it has taken over an hour just to get back on I-95 - total nightmare.

Map

In Pittsburgh, I always go to a parking garage at the corner of Fort Duquense Blvd and Sixth Street. It's a $5 flat fee for 24 hours. Other garages charge $8 or $10, but this one is always $5 for some reason (it was only $3 when they opened PNC). After you park, you walk over the Allegheny River on the Sixth Street bridge (the one you see over the CF wall), which is an experience in itself.

Map

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Thanks a lot, HurricaneDavid. That will help me a lot. Cheap parking is where it's at!

st_eve, as for the Brewers, I wouldn't mind going up to Milwaukee - but I'd only have that one day to do it, and that's six and a half hours from St. Louis and another six and a half to Detroit. It's not bad, but I'm trying to only drive in spurts so I don't get too tired out. I'm heavily forseeing "car-lag" here and want to try to minimize that.

Anyone else have any ideas?

In Pittsburgh, I always go to a parking garage at the corner of Fort Duquense Blvd and Sixth Street. It's a $5 flat fee for 24 hours. Other garages charge $8 or $10, but this one is always $5 for some reason (it was only $3 when they opened PNC). After you park, you walk over the Allegheny River on the Sixth Street bridge (the one you see over the CF wall), which is an experience in itself.

Map

For Pittsburgh you could also go to the Oliver garage on Oliver Avenue and Wood Street. The price is about the same and its a slightly longer walk and you'd have to know your way around downtown a little better.

Map With Directions

You could also park in the Heinz Field parking lot and walk all the way across the parking lot, however, that might be a little more.

There are plenty places to park in Pittsburgh, it just depends on how far you want to walk, how much you want to pay, and how early you get there.

oBIgzrL.png

In Baltimore, if you get there early you can park on the street for free if you want, or you can pay $10 to park in the "official" scattered lots.  I've never had a problem parking on Paca or Hamburg Streets (west of Russell Street).  It's mainly an office/industrial area.  A bit of a walk to the stadium, but it's free and you don't have to deal with traffic getting out of the lots.  In the past when I have parked in official lots, it has taken over an hour just to get back on I-95 - total nightmare.

Even the stadium lot itself is only $10 these days and is open to the public. July 13 is a Thursday, so there shouldn't be that much traffic to fight after the game.

As for other activities, try a crab cake and/or Boog's BBQ inside. Outside, there are plenty of bars within a block or two of the park. Also, if you have enough extra time, I highly recommend Sports Legends at Camden Yards (sports museum) and/or the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum (right next door and about two blocks away, respectively). You can buy a joint admission pass that covers both or buys a separate ticket to either one.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Okay guys,

I'm now contemplating on cutting out the Detroit to Toronto, Toronto to Rochester and Rochester to home legs of the trip and substituting them with Detroit to Erie, PA, Erie to Philadelphia and Philadelphia to home. As such,

1) I'm doing this over concerns of traveling to Canada. Do I need to have a passport to stay there a night, or should I be okay?

2) Anyone know anything about Philadelphia that I should know?

Thanks!

Okay guys,

I'm now contemplating on cutting out the Detroit to Toronto, Toronto to Rochester and Rochester to home legs of the trip and substituting them with Detroit to Erie, PA, Erie to Philadelphia and Philadelphia to home. As such,

1) I'm doing this over concerns of traveling to Canada. Do I need to have a passport to stay there a night, or should I be okay?

Thanks!

No you don't need a passport. You just have to telll the officer at the border how long you are staying and why you are there.

saBS.png

Over the last few years, I've found it's much easier to get in and out of Fenway after a game by driving, rather than taking the T. Approximately 10-15,000 people are also taking public transportation, and the crowds can be incredibly dense, taking almost an hour to walk what should take 15 minutes. That doesn't count the time taken to get through the subway and onto your train either.

Yes, the parking around Fenway is expensive. I went the day before Memorial Day, and found a lot 2 blocks away that was $25. Very easy to get in and out. The further away from Fenway you are, the less it costs to park.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Okay guys,

Thanks!

No you don't need a passport. You just have to telll the officer at the border how long you are staying and why you are there.

That said, Canada customs may be a little stricter after this month's incident. I'd suggest having a birth certificate handy just in case to show you were born in the USA (cue the Boss.) If anything, you'll get more of a grilling going back into the US.

Oh, and save your receipts. You can file a form and get a return of your GST/HST sales tax for stuff you buy in Canada (for any purchase over $50 canadian; if nothing else your overnight stay should qualify.

Tax rebate details/info

Link to tax rebate form.

And take a few minutes to see Niagara Falls. It's a tourist trap but it's still impressive.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

That will be a blast, just like the one my dad and I did when I was 18, for my senior vaction, we hit 20 major and minor league parks near the west coast.

Dom

Dom, how did that turn out? I assume that since you were with someone, it wasn't that boring, but did the driving end up killing you? Or, did you drive only an hour or two a day so it wasn't that bad?

I love driving - I've driven many places on the east coast - but I get exhausted easily, and nine five-hour days might beat up on me.

For visiting the Rogers SkyDome, just take the TTC subway to Union station, and use the CN SkyWalk from the Union Station building to the stadium. Alternatively, the Spadina and Harbourfront streetcars scoot right past it.

Finding a hotel near one of the TTC stations would be best.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Nah, I was looking around on the web and everywhere said January 2008. That's why I asked the question, though - I wasn't exactly sure what I needed.

In any case, do we have anyone who can help me out from St. Louis or Cincinnati?

I had herad that at some point they are going to require US Citizens to have passports to come back into the US, has this started yet?

Yeah, I think you'll need a passport starting in 2008. However, you will need your birth certificate and/or proof of citizenship or residence. I haven't driven across the border in over 7 years, so I've forgotten what you need. Like someone said, getting back in the US might be the bigger chore, hence the need for all sorts of identification.

However, once you do get in Canada, hit the Duty-Free shops.

As for Cincinnati and St. Louis, I can't help you there. The last time I visited these cities, the Reds and Cardinals played in different ballparks. I would imagine the sites of the old ballparks are now parking spaces.....

ZBoyer, you forgot Poland. By which I mean Chicago. Cubs must not be home at the time.

Nah, I was thinking about it for a while, but I flew out to Wrigley for the Red Sox/Cubs series last year and so I didn't go out of my way to try to go back there. They are at home - playing the Astros - but I figured it would have been more of a hassle than it's worth to try to get there cheaply, stay there cheaply and find a cheap ticket.

I was hoping the White Sox would be at home, since I've never been to U.S. Cellular, but they're up in Motown taking on the Tigers.

Forget about cheap tickets at Wrigley; most seats are bought the first three days they're on sale in March. Besides, the cheapest ticket was $30 in the UPPER DECK. Ridiculous. That's why I'm planning on seeing the Royals play in KC. $27 for seats directly behind home plate and the dugouts. The Cubs have become ridiculous since the NLCS in 03, for ticket prices. Most teams have around 20 premium dates a year. The Cubs have premium dates for all summer, September, Opening Day, weekends, and holidays. That leaves weekdays that are non-holidays in April and May, excluding Opening Day, as the only "regular" dates.

As for Cincy, I'd park at the hotel you're staying at and walk to GAB depending on how far it is from the stadium. Some people stay in Kentucky and walk across the bridge into downtown Cincy. The Millenium Hotel in downtown has unlimited $10 parking at their garage I believe.

Archived