This guy's an Idiot

no97

I knew I had read somewhere that certain "unique parts" of Wrigley were part of the "landmark status" program, but not the entire building (thus allowing renovations, such as the bleacher expansion, and so-called "triangle building" that is going up this comming off-season). See this article to read about it, and it specifically mentions the manually-operated scoreboard as one of those "unique parts." Looks like it doesn't matter what Eric Benderoff, or 20% of the fans want...

Moose

It is time for a scoreboard where you don't have to add up the runs to figure out the score, where the score of every major-league game can be displayed, and where you don't need to buy a scorecard to know who's pitching in an out-of-town game. And it certainly would be nice to see a replay of a great play, just once, without straining to catch a glimpse of the TV screen in some bigwig's luxury suite.

Typical of someone who doesn't have half a brain. :rolleyes:

Taking that manuel scoreboard down in Wrigley would be one of the worst stadium changes since the renovations to Yankee Stadium.

Renovations should be done tastefully (see: Fenway Park and Dodger Stadium) and shouldn't take away part of a ballpark's character. If keeping score and knowing scores out-of-town is a problem than they should TASTEFULLY add some electronic scoreboards

to the decks in Wrigley.

1997 | 2003

You know what's worse than not getting out of town scores? Rainouts!. Time to put a retractable roof on Wrigley and Fenway!

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Some comments about what has already been mentioned:

The running score - Quick how long did it take you to figure out the score?

The score of every game can't be displayed - Okay, since there are 30 teams, and there are only 24 spots on the board, if there is a full schedule, three games get missed. What are you gonna do? Plus, it's pretty rare that all 15 games are going on at the exact same time these days (what, with the west coast games, etc.). Plus, most folks have internet on their cell phones anyway...

You need a scorecard to know who's pitching an out-of town game - fair enough, but didn't you buy a scorecard to score the game you're at anyway? And if you didn't, won't that internet cell phone work well enough? Plus, to the last two; aren't you supposed to be worring about the game you're at?

And, finaly, replays - Okay, not all seats have TV's within viewing range. Okay, not even most seats. But, did you know that a good number actually do have TV's close by, and convienient to watch replays on? Those would be the lower deck seats under the upper deck overhang (either Terrace Box or Terrace Reserved - Infield or Outfield). Most of the folks in these seats can see replays on TV's suspended from the upper deck...

Of course, our friend Mr. Benderoff likely wouldn't know that because he's never slummed in with the paying croud. He's just likely upset because he missed something while getting his free media dinner in the press box, and wanted to rush back to his seat and catch the repaly so he could write about it for his collum...

Moose

Of course, our friend Mr. Benderoff likely wouldn't know that because he's never slummed in with the paying croud. He's just likely upset because he missed something while getting his free media dinner in the press box, and wanted to rush back to his seat and catch the repaly so he could write about it for his collum...

Now, I know this is almost completely off-topic, but as a member of the media, I must object to the above statement. I'm tired of people always dragging the sportswriters through the mud as being above everyone else when, in fact, they're not.

Sure, we all get free dinners and lunches. Sure, we get pretty cool seats at a lot of places and access to the players that very few get. But when people make comments like this, they fail to realize one thing - sportswriters got their start because they are, after all, fans just like anyone else.

In a lot of places, you're not allowed to cheer for the home team. But we do it anyway, because after all, when a triple play is turned or when there's a walk-off home run, it's hard not to get caught up in the excitement of the moment. We sit on the edge of our seats during close games and make jokes about the opposing team when they come to bat. Just because we have to go to games for our job does not mean that we don't care about it.

I chose to pursue a career in sportswriting because I am a fan and it's probably the best thing that you can do if you have writing skills. When you're at a game and you're taking in the experience, you enjoy what you have but you know there's more. You want to go inside the stadiums to the locker rooms to feel the excitement after a World Series win and want the chance to travel across the country with the team to see every baseball game the teams play. You want the chance to be able to talk to the players just like they were any other person. That's why I became a sportswriter.

Now, I'm not trying to take you on, No97. I don't have anything against you, and I agree that there are some columnists who have become so disillusioned with their success over their career (Bob Ryan) that they don't care about anyone at all. There's a chance that this writer is one of them. But it's the role of the media to be the middleman between the players and the fans, and if it revolves around being critical at times, so be it.

Sportswriters love sports. They love the ability to go to every game for free - and who wouldn't? There are some bad apples in the bunch, but don't generalize - we don't bite. I promise.

Of course, our friend Mr. Benderoff likely wouldn't know that because he's never slummed in with the paying croud.  He's just likely upset because he missed something while getting his free media dinner in the press box, and wanted to rush back to his seat and catch the repaly so he could write about it for his collum...

Now, I know this is almost completely off-topic, but as a member of the media, I must object to the above statement. I'm tired of people always dragging the sportswriters through the mud as being above everyone else when, in fact, they're not.

Sportswriters love sports. They love the ability to go to every game for free - and who wouldn't? There are some bad apples in the bunch, but don't generalize - we don't bite. I promise.

Funny you'd have a reaction like that to my comment... I too am a member of the media :shocked: (but radio, not print), and have had my fair share of free meals and good seats at events the "avearge guy" couldn't get into. That doesn't change the fact that I think that he's got selfish reasons for wanting a DiamondVision board at Wrigley...

Moose

Wow, this guy is a total dope.

While we're at it, why don't we replace those dangerous ivy-covered bricks with a composite plastic wall? Get with the times, people!

I'm surprised TribCo let one of their own write something so stunningly dumb.

no97... aka Moose... works in radio... hmm. I could make a guess as to our mystery guest's identity, but that's for another time.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think a small DiamondVision board behind the left field stands wouldn't hurt anybody. But still keep the old scoreboard.

You know who it would hurt? The roof-top owners. Guess what? The Cubs get a percentage of the roof-top owners revenue as a concession of a thretened lawsuit from a few years ago. Do you realy think they'll throw that away just to put up a video-board?

Moose

I think a small DiamondVision board behind the left field stands wouldn't hurt anybody. But still keep the old scoreboard.

You know who it would hurt? The roof-top owners. Guess what? The Cubs get a percentage of the roof-top owners revenue as a concession of a thretened lawsuit from a few years ago. Do you realy think they'll throw that away just to put up a video-board?

Moose

If you put the DiamondVision beyond the roof-tops you can make everyone happy.

wiggly6ne.png

:P

1997 | 2003

You know that DiamondVision scoreboard would have really come in handy in the fall of 2003..... also, Wrigley has that modern auxillary wrap around board on the facade of the upper deck don't they? Perhaps a video board might be last step in getting Cubs officially in the 21st century. Now if they can field a 21st century team....

I saw, I came, I left.

Looking at the 3 oldest parks currently in use, Wrigley is the only one without a modern scoreboard/video board. They need something. And heck, that rooftop videoboard is actually a pretty dang good idea.

VmWIn6B.png

Looking at the 3 oldest parks currently in use, Wrigley is the only one without a modern scoreboard/video board. They need something. And heck, that rooftop videoboard is actually a pretty dang good idea.

Except that it looks like it spans 6 adjacent houses and would probably weigh so much it would crush the houses it sits on.

If they really had to have a board, the most likely place would be on either side of the existing center field scoreboard, with a preference for one on the left of the scoreboard as seen from home plate (in true center field). Provided the existing structure could support its weight, there aren't any rooftop views to obscure out there, and as long as it was blackened so as not to distract the hitters, it could work.

That said, I like Wrigley as it is. What's wrong about going to a game to just see a game of baseball, without music and video boards and amusements and shopping malls?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

That said, I like Wrigley as it is.  What's wrong about going to a game to just see a game of baseball, without music and video boards and amusements and shopping malls?

... besides, Chicago has two teams. One team that plays in ballpark without all the bells and whistles and the other team plays in a stadium that has a video scoreboard, amusements etc.............. oh and a World Series banner or two in the past 97 years..... (yes, another cheap shot at the Cubs)

So, you have a choice of two different ballpark experiences....

I saw, I came, I left.

The Cubs will win a championship before they put up a Diamondvision Scoreboard. :P

I wouldn't say that... Wrigley will probably self-destruct before another pennant comes their way.

VmWIn6B.png

Wrigley needs modern video boards like a fish needs a bicycle. Having Monaco-sized HDTVs and highly coordinated multimedia experiences is perfect for a park in an asphalt wasteland like yours. Wrigley doesn't need that crap.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived