Rejected World Cup Logos

Mings

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screen caps of the ones I didn't hate:

rejectedworldcup1.png

I don't know why I like this one, but I really do. If they ever play the World Cup where the sidewalk ends, this will totally be the logo.

rejectedworldcup2.png

If the Netherlands ever gets the World Cup, this is the sort of logo I'd expect to see.

rejectedworldcup4.png

Again, a very Dutch aesthetic on this one. Reducing a soccer ball to a hexagon is just the kind of symbolic simplification and visual pun my old neighbors in Amsterdam would have bragged about doing.

rejectedworldcup3.png

This is one of my favorite soccer logos of all time. Completely in line with the tradition of European World Cup graphics, yet also strongly modern.

rejectedworldcup5.png

This would be my second choice, and I definitely prefer this graphics set to the actual WC06 logo.

20082614447.png

FIFAWC2006_zd6hh0n387syher1txcv.gif

eh, those are nice but the one they use now has grown on me. i still dont like it and think they could have done MUCH better.

Also i have a question: Does anyone know why the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup logo is used on this logo? i've always wondered what it was doing on there. I've also seen the 2002 logo used in graphics in the game when they go to a replay.

rejectedworldcup4.png

That's closer to the flag of Belgium...

flag-Belgium-lg.gif

...than it is to Germany's (aside from the order of the colors):

flag-Germany-National-lg.gif

It would be great if the World Cup ever returned to France again, since their flag features three vertical stripes and they refer to their country as "The Hexagon" on occassion because of its shape. Two snags: The center stripe of France's flag is white, making it invisible on that background, and the next World Cup year whose two-digit abbrevation has a leading zero is somewhere in the early 2100s. Ah well, it would have been cool.

It would be great if the World Cup ever returned to France again, since their flag features three vertical stripes and they refer to their country as "The Hexagon" on occassion because of its shape. Two snags: The center stripe of France's flag is white, making it invisible on that background, and the next World Cup year whose two-digit abbrevation has a leading zero is somewhere in the early 3000s. Ah well, it would have been cool.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they'll have a leading zero again in less than 100 years -- well before the year 3000.

20082614447.png

My main problem with the actual logo from this year (and why I like the guy kicking, the hexagon, and the splotches better) is... what exactly is it? (other than the numbers 06, before somebody responds)

My top 3 explanations:

1) An happy orange chick with very big blue and green breasts

2) A giddy multiethnic pile of childrens' decapitated heads

3) A ripoff of the Olympic rings, except representing fewer continents

Anybody think of any others?

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

It would be great if the World Cup ever returned to France again, since their flag features three vertical stripes and they refer to their country as "The Hexagon" on occassion because of its shape. Two snags: The center stripe of France's flag is white, making it invisible on that background, and the next World Cup year whose two-digit abbrevation has a leading zero is somewhere in the early 3000s. Ah well, it would have been cool.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they'll have a leading zero again in less than 100 years -- well before the year 3000.

A pathetic oversight. Post edited to reflect this shocking new knowledge.

rejectedworldcup3.png

This is one of my favorite soccer logos of all time. Completely in line with the tradition of European World Cup graphics, yet also strongly modern.

The player seems to have his upper and lower bodies going in completely opposite directions.

Save the slugalo.

Also i have a question: Does anyone know why the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup logo is used on this logo? i've always wondered what it was doing on there. I've also seen the 2002 logo used in graphics in the game when they go to a replay.

As the event's organiser, FIFA commissioned London agency Whitestone to produce the logo. The decision to appoint Whitestone was based on their previous, outstanding design for the FIFA World Cup Korea/Japan? logo. Some elements of this creation, in particular the cup, are apparent in the 2006 logo - and will reappear in all future logos of FIFA World Cups.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/o/e/logo.html

How about the placement of vertical stripes that coincides almost exactly with the vertical stripes of the Belgian tricolor?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I totally agree with your top choices. The others look like they were designed by people

with no knowledge of the game or sport in general. The cartoon heart with the ball, c'mon that

was pathetic, same for the 3D warp filter text, what's the matter ran out of good ideas Klaus?

The best of the worst has to be the yellow circle around the ball or the "seinfeld" approach as I call it, our logo is about nothing and we're too lazy to do anything. The sweatpants of logos.

Archived