Rejected World Cup Logos

Mings

rejectedworldcup3.png

This is one of my favorite soccer logos of all time. Completely in line with the tradition of European World Cup graphics, yet also strongly modern.

The player seems to have his upper and lower bodies going in completely opposite directions.

Kinda, but that's actually what happens on such a kick. It's pretty accurate - the lower body spins around with the force of the leg.

I like it, for that reason. Reads as powerful to me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the German flag hung in proper vertical alignment.

I know that (My vexilological skills are just fine, thank you.), but the resemblance to the Belgian flag is way too much for the design to have been given much serious consideration.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

rejectedworldcup3.png

This is one of my favorite soccer logos of all time. Completely in line with the tradition of European World Cup graphics, yet also strongly modern.

The player seems to have his upper and lower bodies going in completely opposite directions.

Kinda, but that's actually what happens on such a kick. It's pretty accurate - the lower body spins around with the force of the leg.

I like it, for that reason. Reads as powerful to me.

Yep.

A red-on-white soccer ball pattern inside the "6" would look pretty rockin', except that the World Cup isn't using a "normal" ball and the actual one would look pretty weird.

Having the actual German flag is too nationalistic for the world cup audience. Remember they have to sell this logo on apparel and other items. The neutrality of the current logo lends itself well to merchandising. What self respecting England fan wants a shirt with the German flag on it?

Having the actual German flag is too nationalistic for the world cup audience.  Remember they have to sell this logo on apparel and other items.  The neutrality of the current logo lends itself well to merchandising.  What self respecting England fan wants a shirt with the German flag on it?

The self-respecting English fans who wore World Cup USA 1994 T-shirts with a logo that's a stylized US Flag? (Yes, I understand the Germany-England rivalry, but the point that a logo for the World Cup won't sell because it has a national logo doesn't hold up historically.)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

i really like the splotches logo, more than any of the others including the chosen one. it is kind of obscure, but not too much because you can still make out what it is. beautiful IMO.

Having the actual German flag is too nationalistic for the world cup audience.  Remember they have to sell this logo on apparel and other items.  The neutrality of the current logo lends itself well to merchandising.  What self respecting England fan wants a shirt with the German flag on it?

Notice the three bold-colored stripes on the left that stick out like a sore thumb:

FIFAWC2006_zd6hh0n387syher1txcv.gif

The motif of the German flag and the conspicuously large word "GERMANY" are quite nationalistic.

It's the German flag hung in proper vertical alignment.

I know that (My vexilological skills are just fine, thank you.), but the resemblance to the Belgian flag is way too much for the design to have been given much serious consideration.

Seriously, though, when your flag is three bands of color, the arrangement of those colors is just a little important..

The self-respecting English fans who wore World Cup USA 1994 T-shirts with a logo that's a stylized US Flag? (Yes, I understand the Germany-England rivalry, but the point that a logo for the World Cup won't sell because it has a national logo doesn't hold up historically.)

I agree. IMO World Cup logos should include the host country's flag or colours in some way. What if Canada hosted the World Cup? Could you imagine a logo without a maple leaf in it? Or an England WC logo without a Union Jack? That's one of the reasons I don't like the current WC logo. Not enough of a "German" feel.

Seriously, though, when your flag is three bands of color, the arrangement of those colors is just a little important..

Exactly my point. But it's also important to remember whether tricolor flags are displayed horizontally or vertically to avoid potential confusion. Hang a Dutch flag vertically and tell me what you think... ;)

*EDIT* Epiphany here. When you look at the colour scheme of the logo, the colours are actually backwards if you would consider them to be a German flag hung vertically. The proper display would be Gold-Red-Black. So regardless, the colours are in the wrong place. Remember, when you hang a flag, the union (upper-left area of the flag when looked at horizontally) is to the right when you look at it (unless you're American, then the union is to your left when the American flag is hung vertically)

OK, i'll stop the vexilological rant now. :)

Wonder what they are gonna roll out in 2010 for South Africa

Probably right before the Finals if at any time...

That's what I remembered FIFA doing with the Germany 06 one...they unveiled it on the day between the 3rd Place Game and the Final...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• 2 weeks later...
rejectedworldcup4.png

That's closer to the flag of Belgium...

flag-Belgium-lg.gif

...than it is to Germany's (aside from the order of the colors):

flag-Germany-National-lg.gif

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but apparently, ESPN has decided that such a vertical arrangement is just dandy:

GerFlagESPN.jpg

Could you imagine a logo without a maple leaf in it? Or an England WC logo without a Union Jack?

I can certainly imagine an England WC logo without the Union Jack in it, primarily because the Union Flag (It's only the Union Jack when flown from the jack mast of a ship) is NOT the flag of England, it is the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland. The corretc flag fro England would by the Cross of St. George.

Does anyone know why the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup logo is used on this logo?

Apparently FIFA has decided to use this as the artistic version of the Cup itself. A lot of the World Cup sponsors use this when they don't use the 2006 logo.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly my point. But it's also important to remember whether tricolor flags are displayed horizontally or vertically to avoid potential confusion. Hang a Dutch flag vertically and tell me what you think... ;)

*EDIT* Epiphany here. When you look at the colour scheme of the logo, the colours are actually backwards if you would consider them to be a German flag hung vertically. The proper display would be Gold-Red-Black. So regardless, the colours are in the wrong place. Remember, when you hang a flag, the union (upper-left area of the flag when looked at horizontally) is to the right when you look at it (unless you're American, then the union is to your left when the American flag is hung vertically)

OK, i'll stop the vexilological rant now. :)

Ummm...you show poor vexiological skill.

The upper left is called the canton...not the union.

Ummm...you show poor vexiological skill.

The upper left is called the canton...not the union.

Good catch. I was on the phone when I typed it, and didn't do my usual read-over before posting it. No clue why I said union either. Anywho, here's a dandy primer for those lost in the conversation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_terminology

BTW, it's "vexillogical" When you talk about flags, you need to remember the two flag poles, as a teacher once told me. :)

FIFAWC2006_zd6hh0n387syher1txcv.gif

eh, those are nice but the one they use now has grown on me. i still dont like it and think they could have done MUCH better.

Also i have a question: Does anyone know why the Korea/Japan 2002 world cup logo is used on this logo? i've always wondered what it was doing on there. I've also seen the 2002 logo used in graphics in the game when they go to a replay.

it's also going to be in the 2010 south africa word cup logo Logo_SA2010.jpg

Archived