The Colorful Tsuyoshi Shinjo

NJTank

I saw this on Uniwatch the Blog.

Some of you especially some of you Mets fans may be wondering what has happened to Shinjo since hes left MLB. Well hes back in Japan and playing for Nippon Ham Fighters.

hes an all star and in the All-Star Game he showed off his spirit with colorful wristbands and a scrolling belt buckle.

sb20060722j1a.jpg

Heres video of his at bat with the full effect of the belt buckle

Shinjo At Bat

Earlier this year he got attention with a classic dramatic enterance.

Dramatic Enterance

He certainley is an odd fellow

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is kind of unrelated but how come in Japan, they're teams nickname is written on the uniform in English?

... perhaps because the team nicknames (and logos) ARE English...

I saw, I came, I left.

This is kind of unrelated but how come in Japan, they're teams nickname is written on the uniform in English?

They love Americans and their culture. Much of the country speaks English, and use of the alphabet goes hand in hand. It's great that they have fun with their sporting events.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

It's great that they have fun with their sporting events.

Fun? How dare they! Fun has been outlawed in American sports. We are supposed to be cynical, critical, bitter, jealous, and resentful of sports and athletes in America. No place for fun in that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Fun? How dare they! Fun has been outlawed in American sports. We are supposed to be cynical, critical, bitter, jealous, and resentful of sports and athletes in America. No place for fun in that.

Fun? They can't even keep home run and foul balls. As soon as you catch it, you turn it in to the nearest usher...or else. That's well, un-American! ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Fun?  How dare they!  Fun has been outlawed in American sports.  We are supposed to be cynical, critical, bitter, jealous, and resentful of sports and athletes in America.  No place for fun in that.

Fun? They can't even keep home run and foul balls. As soon as you catch it, you turn it in to the nearest usher...or else. That's well, un-American! ;)

How dare you question me. You've only been here three months. Do you think you own the place? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

How dare you question me. You've only been here three months. Do you think you own the place? :P

By the time I finish brown-nosing... I will! ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

yeah, have you ever seen the names of teams in Japan's soccer league, the J-League? They are some of the better examples of Engrish that I've ever seen in my life.

plus, they just like how some of the words look together on stuff. Just like how some people like how the Japanese and Chinese scripts look...well, the Japanese especially do that too.

harperdc.gif

Also, it has been confirmed that shinjo is a nude model over in Japan.

And that's not even a joke.

:mellow:

Shinjo leaves the ballpark for a quiet life of nude modelling

"I've decided to take my uniform off at the end of this season."

With these words, Nippon Ham Fighters outfielder Tsuyoshi Shinjo announced his plans to end one of the more unconventional careers in Japanese professional baseball.

What the fans at Tokyo Dome didn't realize when 34-year-old Shinjo told them on April 18 that he was removing his uniform, was that he was speaking literally, according to Shukan Gendai (5/6-13).

Many were shocked that Shinjo chose a mid-April date to announce his plans to quit -- the season was only a few weeks old, after all -- most say it's characteristic behavior for the player nicknamed "Spaceman," who's as well known for his tendency to come out of left field (even though he's a centerfielder) as for his baseball.

"It was typical Shinjo. I wasn't surprised at all," baseball analyst Takenori Emoto tells Shukan Gendai, regarding the sudden retirement. "I think part of the reason there was so much showbiz in the announcement was that the entire Pacific League seemed to be caught up in Shinjo and he was basically running wild, doing whatever he wanted to. He didn't give a damn about his team as long as he looked good."

Actually, it's not the first time Shinjo has retired. After a fight with management at the end of the 1995 season, Shinjo announced he was retiring from the Hanshin Tigers, who he played for at the time. He changed his mind a little while later, playing a few more seasons for the Tigers before heading to the U.S. where he played three seasons in the Majors, two for the New York Mets with a season at the San Francisco Giants sandwiched in between.

Tsuyoshi Shinjo waves to cheering fans during the 2005 season opening ceremony at Sapporo Dome May 6, 2005.

"This time, he really means it," Emoto opines. "At his age, it's no longer possible to hide the fact that he's not the batter he once was. It's a sad time for a professional ball player."

Post-baseball life doesn't appear to be too lonely for Shinjo, though. The enormously popular outfielder is already apparently being swamped with offers for work once he's finished playing. And that's where it comes to taking his uniform off for the last time. As it turns out, it seems likely that his baseball uniform won't be the only garments Shinjo plans to shed.

"Actually, Shinjo's thinking about releasing a collection of nude photos. Straight after he announced his retirement, the president of a major talent agency Shinjo is expected to join on his retirement called the player and said, 'If you're gonna do nude stuff, let me look after it for you.' And, as a bit of an extra for his real fans, there's also talk of Shinjo and his wife doing a nude shot together. If they don't want to go all the way, it could be a shot of them in some pretty racy underwear. The Shinjos are a lot more appealing than David and Victoria Beckham," Motoji Takasu, a publishing company producer, tells Shukan Gendai.

While some may seem surprised at the suggestions of the Shinjos stripping, the likelihood is considered high when his previous outlandish behavior is taken into account. And, it shouldn't be forgotten that Shinjo's off-field resume already includes a successful stint promoting skimpy undies for major undergarment manufacturer Gunze.

Added to these points, Shinjo's wife, Shiho, is a former pin-up queen who retired following their 2000 marriage, but has recently returned to work in showbiz. Some women's magazines have already reported on the couple's planned double-act display of undress.

"Plans are afoot for a photo shoot in July or August. He's still playing and, in the middle of summer, his body will be in as good a shape as it's ever going to be. They're aiming to do the shoot amid the wilds of Hokkaido," publishing industry insider Takasu tells Shukan Gendai. "Sales of the book will start in October, just in time for the Japan Series. They'll be sold together with life-sized Shinjo posters and the promise of giveaways of the book for the 43,000 fans who turn up for his retirement game at Sapporo Dome. That'd really get fans heated up about baseball again." (By Ryann Connell)

April 28, 2006

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/face/...0dm009000c.html

1997 | 2003

yeah, have you ever seen the names of teams in Japan's soccer league, the J-League? They are some of the better examples of Engrish that I've ever seen in my life.

It's not soccer, but I've been waiting for a chance to post this picture :D :

engrishbaseball.jpg

ucnu112sig.png

FAN ... IS ... MY ... TREASURE.

I love how, on the first pitch, Shinjo swings, misses and falls down. The second pitch is a a wild one that ends up in the seats behind home plate.

I love the J-League, but am going to bookmark that video for the next time somebody claims it's major league-caliber. :P

Archived